United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-07-2007, 03:12 AM
Serenity Now

What did you think of Adán? Obviously can't form anything like a solid opinion after just one match, but he did look like he has potential to me.

Wouldn't mind seeing Gambia-Mexico tomorrow, unfortunately it's on at the same time as USA-Paraguay. Should be able to catch a bit of the first half, anyway.
Quote:
All eyes will be on Toronto on Monday when one of the most promising generations in Mexican football opens its FIFA U-20 World Cup Canada 2007 campaign against tournament debutants Gambia.

The game
Gambia - Mexico, Toronto, 17:00 (local time)

The stakes
Mexico start Group C as favourites along with European heavyweights Portugal. This is the Tricolor's eleventh FIFA U-20 World Cup appearance and expectations back home are high, with many of the squad featuring in Mexico's FIFA U-17 World Cup success in Peru two years ago. Gambia are entering previously uncharted territory in what is their first FIFA U-20 World Cup, but their players know each just as well as their Mexican counterparts. Eleven of the squad were part of the U17 team that recorded a sensational 3-1 victory over Brazil at Peru 2005.

The players
Gambia were forced to make one change to their line-up shortly before the tournament, Ken Jammeh replacing Abdourahman Dampha. Mexico can call on a full-strength squad.

The past
Mexico hold the record for the number of draws at FIFA U-20 World Cup finals (15 in 38 games), managing five consecutive stalemates in both 1977 and 1979. Eleven of those 15 drawn matches ended 1-1. Newcomers Gambia are the 20th African team to qualify for a FIFA U-20 World Cup. Africa is the second most highly represented confederation with 20 teams, behind UEFA with 28.

The birthdays
Mexican goalkeeper Rodolfo Cota celebrates his 20th birthday on 3 July, the day after his side's opening game of the tournament.

The words
"We will need to play with the ball at our feet, with great creativity and the skill we are known for, but we will also have to fight for the cause. This is a strength in the team that is often overlooked. Sure, we have talent but we have guts and spirit and the courage to fight for the shirt too." Carlos Vela, Mexico forward

"This team has been together for more than four years and the players know each other as well as any 21-year-old players could. They have a good understanding and they are determined to make their mark in Canada. [Ousmane] Jallow is our key man in attack but the other players know where the goal is. We know that Mexico have a big reputation but we are ready to give them a good battle." Bonu Johnson, coach of Gambia

"We feel like brothers after all the years we've been playing together. We know what our team-mates are going to do before they even do it. We are big and strong but we are also a good team. We're not overawed by Mexico." Ousmane Jallow, Gambia striker

Unread 02-07-2007, 03:14 AM
Grimson

Adan looked good. Faultless for the goals, a nice save or two, but beyond that he had the compsure and presence that not too many of these younger keepers have displayed so far.

Unread 02-07-2007, 03:47 AM
Lou_Macari_Chippy

I just got back from the Burnaby games - Spain v Uruguay was a really good game.

I thought the Black lad 'sunny' (number 20) completely ran the midfield when he came on, for me he was a class above and i reckon one to watch for the future.

Unread 02-07-2007, 03:52 AM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_Macari_Chippy
I just got back from the Burnaby games - Spain v Uruguay was a really good game.

I thought the Black lad 'sunny' (number 20) completely ran the midfield when he came on, for me he was a class above and i reckon one to watch for the future.
What did you make of Capel (number 11)? Looked excellent on the tele.

Was impressed with Sunny as well. Spain really took charge of the midfield after he came on, although I think a bit of that was due to Uruguay dropping back too deep. From what I'd heard of him I was expecting Sissoko mark 2, but he actually looked comfortable in possession and showed some good touches. Seems like a decent passer of the ball too.

Unread 02-07-2007, 03:59 AM
Lou_Macari_Chippy

Here's the view from the stand - taken during the zambia v Jordan game

Unread 02-07-2007, 04:03 AM
Lou_Macari_Chippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
What did you make of Capel (number 11)? Looked excellent on the tele.

Was impressed with Sunny as well. Spain really took charge of the midfield after he came on, although I think a bit of that was due to Uruguay dropping back too deep. From what I'd heard of him I was expecting Sissoko mark 2, but he actually looked comfortable in possession and showed some good touches. Seems like a decent passer of the ball too.
Capel is another good prospect - took his goal well and was very direct thoughout the game, getting past his man on numerous occasions - plays with his head down a lot though but that can be worked on.

Unread 04-07-2007, 12:02 AM
Grimson

Well, I'll stop slagging off Freddy Adu for now. He just scored a hat trick, the first a stunner and the second also very good, in the US's 6-1 @#%&!ting of Poland. Should be video of the goals available soon.

Unread 04-07-2007, 01:08 AM
user_name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
Well, I'll stop slagging off Freddy Adu for now. He just scored a hat trick, the first a stunner and the second also very good, in the US's 6-1 @#%&!ting of Poland. Should be video of the goals available soon.
he's SHIT. continue the slagging.

fantastic first goal though

Unread 04-07-2007, 02:05 AM
S/Side.Red

Alexandre Pato has now arrived at the tournament. Scored two as Brazil lead South Korea 3-0 with an hour gone.

Unread 04-07-2007, 04:04 AM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Alexandre Pato has now arrived at the tournament. Scored two as Brazil lead South Korea 3-0 with an hour gone.
3-2 in the end. Gutted I didn't watch this instead.

For anyone who's interested, you can see the goals at FIFA.com. Brilliant run by Amaral for the first goal, excellent finish one-on-one by Pato for the second and the third was very nicely worked too. Both S. Korea's goals were high quality as well.

Unread 04-07-2007, 11:11 AM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Argentina went to the top of Group E on 3 July as they scored four goals in a remarkable seven-minute stretch in the first half on their way to an easy 6-0 victory over overmatched Panama in Ottawa's Frank Clair Stadium.

The roaring Albiceleste managed to put away all of the chances they missed in their opening encounter against the Czech Republic, and the flood gates broke after Maximiliano Moralez opened the scoring in the 20th minute. Mauro Zárate, Sergio Aguero and Moralez put the match away by just the 27th minute, while Aguero completed his brace and Angel Di Maria got on the score sheet in a lower key second half.

The South Americans vault to the top of the table now on four points, while Panama are at the other end of the standings with a single point. However, with the Czechs and Korea DPR stuck on two, there's still all to play for as the Central Americans face the Czechs on 6 July in Montreal. Argentina will look to finalise their place in the next round against the Asian champions on the same day.
Once again, you can see the goals at FIFA.com.

Unread 04-07-2007, 02:21 PM
S/Side.Red

I haven't watched Brazil play at this tournament yet, but that lad listed as David Marinho (usually known as David Luiz) is an excellent prospect. He joined Benfica in January and has looked outstanding, already playing very well against PSG, Porto and Sporting. He knows he's good, which hopefully won't be too much of a problem, but he could go right to the top.

Unread 04-07-2007, 08:39 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Apparently he's going to Chelsea. Milan have sent Leonardo and Carlo Ancelotti to Canada to watch him, but it appears they are too late as everything has been agreed between the clubs and the player.

5-year deal worth £20,000 per week (not bad for a 17-year-old) and a transfer fee of £10m for Internacional, where he is expected to stay until January.

Unread 04-07-2007, 08:50 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
5-year deal worth £20,000 per week (not bad for a 17-year-old) and a transfer fee of £10m for Internacional, where he is expected to stay until January.
Bit surprised by that. I know he's been heavily linked to Chelsea for a while now, but as I recall all the talk from Internacional was that they wanted a lot more money than that.

Doesn't have an EU passport either, so the work permit situation might be tricky.

Unread 04-07-2007, 08:57 PM
S/Side.Red

I think they'd be quite confident about the special talent rule.

It's not official, yet, so hopefully it falls apart for whatever reason.

http://esporte.uol.com.br/futebol/ul...59u124889.jhtm

Unread 04-07-2007, 09:08 PM
Serenity Now

It's a bit of a coup for Chelsea, although I'm really not sure that this kind of transfer at his age and experience level is the best move for him. Then again, I suppose that's to be expected these days.

You're certainly on fire with the breaking news today!

Unread 04-07-2007, 09:22 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
It's a bit of a coup for Chelsea, although I'm really not sure that this kind of transfer at his age and experience level is the best move for him.
I'd agree with that. Problem is, he's only 17 and this is a chance to secure his future financially. I'm sure he'd rather go to Milan, but if Chelsea is the only serious offer on the table, he could argue that he could break a leg tomorrow (or worse) and his career could be over. Securing a contract worth £5m is a big thing for him, I guess.

On a sporting level, it's clearly not the best move he could make at such an age.

Unread 04-07-2007, 10:34 PM
Grimson

Jesus. 27th minute and Argentina are up 4-0 on Panama. Kind of unfortunate to watch. For some reason Panama keep trying to pull an offside trap without first getting any pressure on the ball, and Argentina are just walking through them.

Unread 04-07-2007, 10:39 PM
Rhodzy

We had Panamas centre back Torres on trial a while back

Unread 04-07-2007, 10:42 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
Jesus. 27th minute and Argentina are up 4-0 on Panama. Kind of unfortunate to watch. For some reason Panama keep trying to pull an offside trap without first getting any pressure on the ball, and Argentina are just walking through them.
Closed Thread