United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-06-2007, 09:15 PM
Lou_Macari_Chippy

£#%&!ing great result that - all those fake brazil fans can £#%&! off 1-0 poland with the poles down to 10 men.

Excellent! hope the £#%&!ing Brazilian £#%&!ers dont get out the group stage - £#%&!ing hate them.

Unread 30-06-2007, 09:19 PM
Yo Adrian!

Thought you would have been supporting Brazil... they do have an R in their name!

Unread 30-06-2007, 09:39 PM
Lou_Macari_Chippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Adrian!
Thought you would have been supporting Brazil... they do have an R in their name!
cheeky @#%&!

Unread 30-06-2007, 09:52 PM
Serenity Now

Great result for the Poles. Apparently only the second time in 15 matches that Brazil have lost their opener in this tournament.

Unread 30-06-2007, 10:07 PM
Lou_Macari_Chippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
Great result for the Poles. Apparently only the second time in 15 matches that Brazil have lost their opener in this tournament.
Lets not kid ourselves though - they are far too good to go out early - i fully expect a win in their next game and for them to end up topping the group by the end.

I just hope thats not the case.

Unread 30-06-2007, 10:24 PM
Lou_Macari_Chippy

watching korea v usa right now - yanks are winning 1-0 korea missing some great chances and should get a breakthrough soon.

Unread 30-06-2007, 11:37 PM
Lou_Macari_Chippy

Great game - Korea have been all over the yanks currently 1-1 with 10mins left - Korea have had so many good chances they could have won the game by 3 or 4 goals. Just hope the yanks dont get a late goal from a long ball which they have threatened a couple of times.

Unread 01-07-2007, 01:46 AM
Serenity Now

Still 0-0 between Argentina and the Czech Republic with just over 15 minutes to go.

Unread 01-07-2007, 02:12 AM
Serenity Now

0-0 full time.

Argentina dominated the match (around 60% of the possession and 6 shots on target versus none for the Czechs) and the Czechs were sitting back trying to hit them on the break. Very nearly worked in injury time, Argentina had a corner and the ball got cleared to one of the centre backs around the halfway line, he totally misplayed his pass and it ended up with the Czechs. They broke at speed and Romero rushed way outside his box, Czech forward put it through his legs and it took a last ditch clearance from a defender to stop the goal.

Unread 01-07-2007, 02:36 AM
Grimson

I watched the US game. Freddy Adu was dire yet again. Surely his name is done appearing in transfer rumours - why would anybody want him at this point? He has very little influence on the game.

Unread 01-07-2007, 02:59 AM
Lou_Macari_Chippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
I watched the US game. Freddy Adu was dire yet again. Surely his name is done appearing in transfer rumours - why would anybody want him at this point? He has very little influence on the game.
Unfortunate for the lad that he seems to be getting slower as he gets older - i agree he was basically nowhere in this match but to be fair the koreans are probably one of the hardest teams to play against, they are skillful, strong and fast - if they had finish they would be a really good team; thats all thats letting them down so far.

Unread 02-07-2007, 01:20 AM
Serenity Now

Spain-Uruguay on Eurosport 2 now. Pique is playing. Still 0-0.
Quote:
For the lucky fans in Burnaby, the Group B action is set to come thick and fast on Sunday 1 July. Jordan and Zambia break the ice earlier in the day, before ceding the spotlight to group favourites Spain and Uruguay. With both teams widely expected to progress to the next round, this match could well decide who makes it through in first place.

The game
Spain v Uruguay, Burnaby, 1 July, 17:00 (local time)

The stakes
At first glance, the eye immediately turns to a potentially intriguing duel between Uruguay's Edinson Cavani, a gifted front-man from Serie A high-flyers Palermo, and Spain stalwart Gerard Pique, on loan at La Liga outfit Real Zaragoza from Premiership winners Manchester United. Both youngsters have garnered valuable top-flight experience in two of Europe's toughest leagues, and will be looking to bring their full talent to bear on Canadian soil.

The players
Both Spain and Uruguay are at full strength going into Sunday's game.

The past
The record books make much happier reading for La Furia Roja and their fans, as the sides' only meeting at this level ended in a 6-0 defeat for the Celeste at Portugal 1991.

The words
"We've got to keep an eye on their entire team because any one of their players can score. We've got our strengths too though, and we're very excited about this World Cup. I can tell you we will all be doing our utmost to win every game." Edinson Cavani, Uruguay centre-forward.

"The first match is always very important, as it can put you in a good position to qualify for the last sixteen. We need to keep the usual opening-game nerves at bay, but I think that we're going to win. It will be my job to stop Cavani, who I know is playing really well at the moment. I'm just going to go out and there and do my job, like I always do." Gerard Pique, Spain central defender.

"It's going to be a very even game and we can't afford any mistakes. Above all else, we need to have plenty of respect for Uruguay. They are strong, tall and powerful in the air and they are going to make life very difficult for us. This is our most important match because a good result will virtually ensure our place in the last sixteen. " Gines Melendez, Spain coach.

Unread 02-07-2007, 01:24 AM
S/Side.Red

Is Bilbao's Javi Martinez in the Spain squad?

Unread 02-07-2007, 01:47 AM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Is Bilbao's Javi Martinez in the Spain squad?
Yep. On the bench.

Unread 02-07-2007, 01:56 AM
Serenity Now

Sevilla's Diego Capel was definitely the most impressive player. Left footed winger. Played on the left in the first half and cutting in from the right in the second. Quick, has shown a great touch and excellent close control. Inconsistent delivery, but has put some good balls into the box with his left foot. Likes to go outside but has the control to come inside and beat defenders in the middle as well, although hasn't done anything with his right foot yet. Can see very clearly why we were/are reported to be interested in him.

Madrid's keeper Adán looked solid as well and made some nice saves. One in particular where he showed great speed and timing in rushing off his line to steal the ball from the Uruguayan forward's (Luis Suarez?) feet after he broke through the Spanish defence.

Unread 02-07-2007, 02:14 AM
Serenity Now

2-0 Uruguay. Luis Suarez with a fantastic goal from just outside the area, a rocket of a shot with no back-lift. Came after a lovely passing move from Uruguay too. Great goal.

Unread 02-07-2007, 02:14 AM
Grimson

Luis Suarez with a stunning finish. 2-0. Weren't Spain supposed to be one of the favourites here?

Unread 02-07-2007, 02:51 AM
Grimson

Capel with a fantastic last-second equaliser after a dodgy piece of goalkeeping. 2-2, good game.

Unread 02-07-2007, 02:54 AM
Serenity Now

Excellent match. Great goal by Capel to level it up.

How dodgy was Goicoechea? Responsible for both of Spain's goals.

Unread 02-07-2007, 03:02 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
Excellent match. Great goal by Capel to level it up.

How dodgy was Goicoechea? Responsible for both of Spain's goals.
Very dodgy. He did make a save or two, but then you shouldn't have your name on your gloves if you can't make a save or two.

Only saw the highlights, but Scotland's keeper was responsible for 2 of Japan's 3 goals.

Still nothing dodgier than Romero coming out of his box against the Czechs. That was hilarious.
Closed Thread