United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 15-06-2009, 09:48 PM
Luffy

Default Rossi's gonna be Italy's best - sign him up!

Scored 2 cracking goals which scream quality and goal scoring instinct. We really dropped a ball here, he went from singing Utd songs and holding up the scarf to being really disillusioned with the club and moving away.

and now fergie is trying to make up for it by giving Macheda and Welbeck all the time in the world despite neither being anywhere near as good as Rossi.

I really hope our current strikers can step up, but Rossi has a lot of things we lack. For a small guy, he attacks the box like strikers are supposed to and that's why he is able to put away lots of crosses, see the 3rd goal. Ronaldo was the only 1st team player we have who does that naturally. I'm not sure you can coach that or suddenly pick it up at 25 years of age. Its an instinct. Its the difference between Vidic scoring headers where Rio can't.

Rooney, Berbatov, Tevez, Welbeck, all pretty pants at attacking crosses in my opinion. even if we had two wonderful out and out wingers, their crosses would reach no one and they'd be labelled 'poor end product', truth is half the work has to be done by the striker as well and ours don't do it. We'd be running into brick walls alot more often.

Macheda looks like he can do it which is good, but he's not as prolific, and lacks the skill and variety of goals. Rossi can score any kind of goal and had tremendous vision and passing as well.

Would love to bring him back. I said way back when it was Ruud's final summer here, if we gave Rossi his shirt and started him in as many games he'd finish top scorer for us. I put him in the same bracket of goal scorer as Shearer, Owen, Ruud and Ronaldo, with the skill and vision or Cantona.

Gonna be top top drawer.

Unread 15-06-2009, 09:52 PM
Coracao

Unread 15-06-2009, 09:52 PM
BarryX

that's all very well and good. but how do you feel when your playing as him on the old PS2 ?

Unread 15-06-2009, 09:56 PM
Whalefish

Just a gut feeling but I don't think he'd ever come back. Even if Utd bid for him.

You can tell us Luffy, you stroked the general tonight didn't you?

Unread 15-06-2009, 10:01 PM
Mark Corrigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Just a gut feeling but I don't think he'd ever come back. Even if Utd bid for him.

You can tell us Luffy, you stroked the general tonight didn't you?

2 great goals to be fair.

Unread 15-06-2009, 10:04 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Corrigan

2 great goals to be fair.
They were. Bit of class from Pirlo too.

I rate Rossi fwiw, very good player. Nice to see him do well. Made a difference to their attacking play when he came on.

Unread 15-06-2009, 10:06 PM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

Don't we have first refusal on him?

Unread 15-06-2009, 10:07 PM
BarryX

I like both Rossi and Forlan. Made up for them that they both of had careers after OT. That Pique turned into a bit of a @#%&! mind.

Unread 15-06-2009, 10:11 PM
koppas

He has gone. Get over it.

Unread 15-06-2009, 10:13 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by koppas
He has gone. Get over it.
He can't koppas.

Unread 15-06-2009, 10:16 PM
koppas

He didnt make it at united. Left and done well in Italy and La Liga where anymore can shine ffs. Move on. Bet he still pines for his childhood sweetheart like a little bitch.

Unread 15-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Tiberian

Was a big fan of him at Utd, very surprised that Fergie did not give him more chances, easily the best attacking player in our youth and reserve sides since Giggs and co.

I made the point when we signed Tevez after his loan spell at West ham that Rossi at Parma was equally as impressive , similar pressure of a team fighting relegation, scores the goals to keep them up, plus he did not need 4/5 months to settle in. A lot of Utd fans used his failure at Newcastle when he was being used a s a targetman when he did play as an overall judgement on his ability.

Both Rossi and Pique were/are good enough for Utd, just the situation did not arise to allow them to show it.

I would take Rossi back, wonderful talent, will not happen but he is quality.

Unread 15-06-2009, 11:24 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Was a big fan of him at Utd, very surprised that Fergie did not give him more chances, easily the best attacking player in our youth and reserve sides since Giggs and co.

I made the point when we signed Tevez after his loan spell at West ham that Rossi at Parma was equally as impressive , similar pressure of a team fighting relegation, scores the goals to keep them up, plus he did not need 4/5 months to settle in. A lot of Utd fans used his failure at Newcastle when he was being used a s a targetman when he did play as an overall judgement on his ability.

Both Rossi and Pique were/are good enough for Utd, just the situation did not arise to allow them to show it.

I would take Rossi back, wonderful talent, will not happen but he is quality.
Really wish he was given the chances that Tevez was now. Don't get me wrong I don't think he can charge around slowly all day like Carlos does but think he's better in just about every other aspect of his game.

Unread 16-06-2009, 01:22 AM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
Really wish he was given the chances that Tevez was now. Don't get me wrong I don't think he can charge around slowly all day like Carlos does but think he's better in just about every other aspect of his game.
His technique was up there with the best players in our squad, also had an awareness of space, when to pass, how to protect the ball under pressure. I look at Wellbeck now and I actually see a lot of potential in him, but Rossi at the same age was a far more rounded player. Lacks the physical potential of Wellbeck or even Macheda but his ability was outstanding.

Fergie did not really have the opportunity to risk Rossi though. he was there during the bad years between 03/06 when there was a lot of poor players in the squad and it was easy to be pulled down to that level, his game needs quality around him to get the very best of him. When we were chasing the league in 06/07 he started the season on loan at Newcastle, did not go that well for him and when he came back with the league in the balance and Saha struggling with fitness Fergie went for the experience of Larsson instead of risking Rossi (who then went to parma), understandable really. The next season we signed Tevez, another small forward and with Rooney and Saha still there Rossi decided that he would not play so moved on. With his finishing ability I had him down as a new Solskjaer, cameo roles to start with then gradually starting more and always being a goal threat from the bench.

I thought he was a cert to make it, and it does not surprise me that he is starting to make his mark for Italy, would expect him within a couple of years to be back at one of the top clubs around Europe. If we are looking to sign a replacement striker for Tevez there are not many around Europe in the same age group who would be above him, Benzema , Aguero and Pato the top of that generation.

Unread 16-06-2009, 04:41 AM
Albert Tatlock

Didn't we put Rossi on loan at a PL club or two before permiting him to leave ? I don't remember him scoring a lot for those other clubs either.

He left because he asked to, we never got rid of him.

Unread 16-06-2009, 04:50 AM
Sandman

He's not coming back, get over it FFS.

Unread 16-06-2009, 06:21 AM
koppas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizza Jazza
Didn't we put Rossi on loan at a PL club or two before permiting him to leave ? I don't remember him scoring a lot for those other clubs either.

He left because he asked to, we never got rid of him.
Yeah he spent a year at Newcastle and was restricted to the odd game in the Carling Cup. He wasn't good enough for us, or Newcastle, and that says it all for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman
He's not coming back, get over it FFS.
Word. The way people go on about him, you would have thought we have £#%&! all since he left. So he bangs in a lot of goals in Spain - whoopy-£#%&!ing-do.

Unread 16-06-2009, 07:42 AM
Withers

True that.

Newcastle never make a mistake.

Unread 16-06-2009, 08:06 AM
elephantstone

Thumbs down

it was against the USA I would have probably bagged a brace myself.

Unread 16-06-2009, 08:18 AM
koppas

Let's resign Alex Notman while we are at it.
Closed Thread