ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Should have read all the posts shouldn't i

Unread 27-02-2014, 01:46 PM
Child of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
A lot of people try to steer clear of someone who says we will be getting the ball wide and putting in a lot or meaningless crosses.
so true :shakehead:

Unread 27-02-2014, 01:52 PM
DuanePipe

Part of Glen's problem, man management/coaching wise, is that he was himself such a naturally gifted player and he begins from the assumption that 'well, I can do it like this, why can't you?'. You get an insight in to this line of thought when he was recently talking about England's problems with penalties. He said something like 'When I'd take a penalty at Wembley in front of 100,000 people, it would be just like taking one on my local park. I'd just pick a side and put it there'. Really helpful Glen. Thanks. Great insight in to how YOU were great. It's kind of the reverse problem that Keane had with Mick McCarthy, when he said he'd get pissed off that Mick would just spout a load of non specific clichés about putting a shift in, and getting in people's faces, rather than give particular instructions on what he wanted from individual players.

Be like, if someone came to me and said 'How do I teach my dogs to sit and stay?' and I just got my ace, fully trained dogs out and told them to sit and stay and then walked off...'see, that's how great my dogs are. Just do that. Bye.' - you'd probably be a bit pissed off and non the wiser as to what you were supposed to do.

What you really want is someone who can do both the motivational, up and at em' stuff, combined with useful and specific instructions working in tandem with a cohesive tactical plan and formation designed to gain a scoring advantage in, what we call in the game, a football match. Someone like Barry Fry crossed with Arrigo Sacchi.

Unread 27-02-2014, 01:54 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuanePipe
Part of Glen's problem, man management/coaching wise, is that he was himself such a naturally gifted player and he begins from the assumption that 'well, I can do it like this, why can't you?'. You get an insight in to this line of thought when he was recently talking about England's problems with penalties. He said something like 'When I'd take a penalty at Wembley in front of 100,000 people, it would be just like taking one on my local park. I'd just pick a side and put it there'. Really helpful Glen. Thanks. Great insight in to how YOU were great. It's kind of the reverse problem that Keane had with Mick McCarthy, when he said he'd get pissed off that Mick would just spout a load of non specific clichés about putting a shift in, and getting in people's faces, rather than give particular instructions on what he wanted from individual players.

Be like, if someone came to me and said 'How do I teach my dogs to sit and stay?' and I just got my ace, fully trained dogs out and told them to sit and stay and then walked off...'see, that's how great my dogs are. Just do that. Bye.' - you'd probably be a bit pissed off and non the wiser as to what you were supposed to do.

What you really want is someone who can do both the motivational, up and at em' stuff, combined with useful and specific instructions working in tandem with a cohesive tactical plan and formation designed to gain a scoring advantage in, what we call in the game, a football match. Someone like Alex Ferguson
Corrected

Unread 27-02-2014, 01:58 PM
DuanePipe

Didn't Hoddle say something like Andy Cole was not a natural goal scorer....at a point in time when Andy Cole was the leading goal scorer in all competitions in England?

He's a stupid man.

Wolves fans hate him more than Dean Saunders.

Unread 27-02-2014, 02:29 PM
DakotaFredsBigShoe

He was also into health crystals , got some healer Eileen dury or something to give ray parlour a hair cut. Pissed Glenn off.

Unread 27-02-2014, 02:32 PM
Mr Castro

Quote:
Didn't Hoddle say something like Andy Cole was not a natural goal scorer....at a point in time when Andy Cole was the leading goal scorer in all competitions in England?

He's a stupid man.

Rings a bell.

he made some weird choices for the 98 World Cup too. Like he took Ferdinand but never played him, didn't take back up for Le Saux (meaning Ince had to play left back in one game)

Unread 27-02-2014, 02:35 PM
sa7

Father in Law is a friend of Eric Harrison. Apparantly after the Simeone incident in 98 Eric tried to see Beckham at the England team hotel. Hoddle treated him like a piece of shit and basically told him to £#%&! off. Harrison has never forgiven him for hanging Beckham out to dry over that

Unread 27-02-2014, 02:37 PM
andyroo

Quote:
What you really want is someone who can do both the motivational, up and at em' stuff, combined with useful and specific instructions working in tandem with a cohesive tactical plan and formation designed to gain a scoring advantage in, what we call in the game, a football match. Someone like Barry Fry crossed with Arrigo Sacchi.

Unread 27-02-2014, 02:39 PM
rustling jimmies

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaFredsBigShoe
He was also into health crystals , got some healer Eileen dury or something to give ray parlour a hair cut. Pissed Glenn off.

Unread 27-02-2014, 04:33 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:

He's a stupid man.

the thing is Cole did often miss good chances and Hoddle was really saying that he needed to be more clinical because he wasn't going to get as many chances for england as he did for united.

all true, but cole was soon breaking united's goal-scoring record in the european cup and scoring all types of goals, from overhead kicks, to tap-ins, to combination play to chipping the £#%&!ing keeper from 30yds ffs - making Hoddle look like a @#%&!.

as far as the penalty thing goes, tbh he's right to expect that any player good enough to play for england should be good enough to take a penalty and stick it in the net. it's the most basic skill a footballer should have to be able to kick a football firmly and accurately under no challenge.

it comes down to bottle in the end. if you're scared to miss then you probably will. it shouldn't even enter your head.

Unread 27-02-2014, 05:39 PM
DakotaFredsBigShoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
the thing is Cole did often miss good chances and Hoddle was really saying that he needed to be more clinical because he wasn't going to get as many chances for england as he did for united.

all true, but cole was soon breaking united's goal-scoring record in the european cup and scoring all types of goals, from overhead kicks, to tap-ins, to combination play to chipping the £#%&!ing keeper from 30yds ffs - making Hoddle look like a @#%&!.

as far as the penalty thing goes, tbh he's right to expect that any player good enough to play for england should be good enough to take a penalty and stick it in the net. it's the most basic skill a footballer should have to be able to kick a football firmly and accurately under no challenge.

it comes down to bottle in the end. if you're scared to miss then you probably will. it shouldn't even enter your head.

Didn't Andy Cole tell him to get his hair cut? Glenn wasn't impressed.

Unread 27-02-2014, 05:45 PM
Grimson

Quote:

You just described my brother. He's a musician and composer, has a degree in music theory, plays a thousand instruments. I once made the mistake of asking him to show me the very basics of guitar. He picked it up, played something complicated, then handed it to me and told me to do the same thing.

Unread 27-02-2014, 06:05 PM
DuanePipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
You just described my brother. He's a musician and composer, has a degree in music theory, plays a thousand instruments. I once made the mistake of asking him to show me the very basics of guitar. He picked it up, played something complicated, then handed it to me and told me to do the same thing.
I too have a guitar playing brother with a degree in music. He was polite enough to show me how I was playing certain riffs incorrectly (the cheat way that I'd taught myself) then proceeded to play them properly, using finger movements and speed that I had and have no hope of mastering in the next 10 years, thus making his riffs sound insanely big and mighty impressive and, by stark comparison, mine sound (and feel) like a toddler hitting a radiator with a wooden spoon.

Smiled, thanked him for his 'lesson' and took up drums.

Unread 27-02-2014, 09:07 PM
taff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felch
GN: "He also believed in alternative methods, including Eileen Drewery, the faith healer, who'd visited the camp a few times before the World Cup. As a bit of a sceptic, I'd never gone to see her. When the 1998 World Cup started, some of the players started taking injections from Glenn's favourite medic, a Frenchman called Dr Rougier. It was different from anything we'd done at United, but all above board, I'm sure.
i'm sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felch
"After some of the lads said they'd felt a real burst of energy, I decided to seize any help on offer. So many of the players decided to go for it before that Argentina match that there was a queue to see the doctor. Before the game, Glenn did his usual pre-match routine of moving around the players, shaking their hands and touching them just over the heart. We'll never know if the methods had any positive effect.
er, i think we do gary.
Closed Thread