United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 27-02-2014, 10:26 AM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Default Glenn Hoddle

Reading through the Moyes threads got me thinking about English/Biritish Coaches.
They are generally given a much easier ride by the press and at times fans which is understandable

The English game is in a real mess and the coaches we have are still working to 1980's tactics of knock it to the big lad or into space.

How the £#%&! is Glenn Hoddle not involved at a club somewhere?
Yes he might have some strange views and he is certainly not managerial material but his philosophy and understanding of football is light years ahead of anyone else in this country imo.

Unread 27-02-2014, 10:27 AM
Zorg

I think his man-management was suspect (i.e. he's a @#%&!).

Still, you'd think someone would take him.

Unread 27-02-2014, 10:28 AM
believe

A lot of people try to steer clear of someone who says disabled people deserve what they get for happenings in a previous life.

Unread 27-02-2014, 10:28 AM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
I think his man-management was suspect (i.e. he's a @#%&!).

Still, you'd think someone would take him.
Which is why i said he should be a manager. He is a great coach

Unread 27-02-2014, 10:31 AM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
A lot of people try to steer clear of someone who says disabled people deserve what they get for happenings in a previous life.
That wasn't his finest moment but its his religious / misguided belief.

We have a coach in our club who £#%&!ed his brothers wife, I'm sure some have an issue with that

Unread 27-02-2014, 10:33 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholesScoresGoals2
That wasn't his finest moment but its his religious / misguided belief.

We have a coach in our club who £#%&!ed his brothers wife, I'm sure some have an issue with that
I doubt it because that's Giggs' issue with his brother. When you start to have beliefs that can alienate you from the majority then you're £#%&!ed. He'll never manage a club again imo and rightly so.

Imagine someone like Phil Neville for instance, having to be told what to do by a @#%&! who says that, when he's got to deal with his own family outside football.

Unread 27-02-2014, 10:42 AM
Marvel7

Personally think he has had the best England team in a long long time, was sacked for non footballing reasons, but brings his problems on himself, some crazy views, but they are his views.

Unread 27-02-2014, 10:53 AM
DuanePipe

Glen Hoddle = the thick man's thinking man.

Tim Sherwood = the thick man's thick man.

Hoddle is a confusing, riddle speaking imbecile.

"That's what we call in the game a reverse ball. He's got, what we call in the game, a good engine. That was, what we call in the game, a chip. That was an excellent, what we call in the game, goal."

Hate him.

Unread 27-02-2014, 10:57 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuanePipe

"That's what we call in the game a reverse ball. He's got, what we call in the game, a good engine. That was, what we call in the game, a chip. That was an excellent, what we call in the game, goal."

Hate him.

Unread 27-02-2014, 10:58 AM
Zorg

My favourite quote about Glenn Hoddle was by Bryan Robson: "If he was made of chocolate, he'd eat himself"

Unread 27-02-2014, 11:43 AM
Johnaldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Gotta watch out for them £#%&!ing Buddhists mate

Unread 27-02-2014, 11:56 AM
Felch

GN: "He also believed in alternative methods, including Eileen Drewery, the faith healer, who'd visited the camp a few times before the World Cup. As a bit of a sceptic, I'd never gone to see her. When the 1998 World Cup started, some of the players started taking injections from Glenn's favourite medic, a Frenchman called Dr Rougier. It was different from anything we'd done at United, but all above board, I'm sure.

"After some of the lads said they'd felt a real burst of energy, I decided to seize any help on offer. So many of the players decided to go for it before that Argentina match that there was a queue to see the doctor. Before the game, Glenn did his usual pre-match routine of moving around the players, shaking their hands and touching them just over the heart. We'll never know if the methods had any positive effect.

"One of the masseurs told me Glenn had asked the staff to walk around the pitch anti-clockwise during the game against Argentina to create positive energy. Sadly, it didn't do us much good."

Unread 27-02-2014, 12:15 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felch
GN: "He also believed in alternative methods, including Eileen Drewery, the faith healer, who'd visited the camp a few times before the World Cup. As a bit of a sceptic, I'd never gone to see her. When the 1998 World Cup started, some of the players started taking injections from Glenn's favourite medic, a Frenchman called Dr Rougier. It was different from anything we'd done at United, but all above board, I'm sure.

"After some of the lads said they'd felt a real burst of energy, I decided to seize any help on offer. So many of the players decided to go for it before that Argentina match that there was a queue to see the doctor. Before the game, Glenn did his usual pre-match routine of moving around the players, shaking their hands and touching them just over the heart. We'll never know if the methods had any positive effect.

"One of the masseurs told me Glenn had asked the staff to walk around the pitch anti-clockwise during the game against Argentina to create positive energy. Sadly, it didn't do us much good."
Ray Parlour on Eileen Drewery

Didn't go down too well with Hoddle I understand

Quote:
I had a bad calf and Glenn sent me to see her. I sat in this seat, I couldn’t see her – I thought she was going to come out with no clothes on or something! Anyway, she placed her hands on my shoulders – I had long hair back then – and I just said: “short back and sides, please, Eileen”.

Unread 27-02-2014, 12:35 PM
Mr Castro

I get the feeling Hoddle is knowledgeable about the game but as a man manager he is somewhat lacking. His England reign was a good example of this. The way he handled Beckham in 1998 was awful. Like Neville said in his book, the right manager at the wrong time. He would have done better with a little bit more experience within the game.

Unread 27-02-2014, 12:37 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:

Hate him.
this

although 3-5-2 and the side he put out against Italy at Le Tournoi suggest he could have done something with England

Unread 27-02-2014, 01:09 PM
thenorthwillriseagain

Quote:

Hate him.

Unread 27-02-2014, 01:31 PM
Mr_Ed

Glenn Hoddle not only offended the disabled but was a big believer in some freak called Eileen who was a spiritualist?

She apparently rubbed Ray Parlours temples and asked him what he needed and he replied "short back and sides please" which pissed Glenn off greatly.

Could explain a lot

Unread 27-02-2014, 01:32 PM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Glenn Hoddle not only offended the disabled but was a big believer in some freak called Eileen who was a spiritualist?

She apparently rubbed Ray Parlours temples and asked him what he needed and he replied "short back and sides please" which pissed Glenn off greatly.

Could explain a lot
Not heard that one before, mental stuff

Unread 27-02-2014, 01:33 PM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholesScoresGoals2
Not heard that one before, mental stuff

Should have read all the posts shouldn't i

Unread 27-02-2014, 01:34 PM
Harri Jaffa

I'd take him over Moyes
Closed Thread