United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 28-12-2017, 03:00 PM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Default Retro-Fred: Cole 1995-1998

What would the reaction have been like on here if Fred existed then?

Would he have been slated for missing simple chances, would posters be pining for a different striker and complaining about the record fee?

Or would most have saged him as being a quality striker for us?

Unread 28-12-2017, 03:02 PM
tatty

Hated him for the first 3 years or so and slated him relentlessly.

And then pretended I always knew he was quality once he joined up with Yorke.

Unread 28-12-2017, 03:03 PM
Clarkie

Imagine the seethe after the West Ham game in 1995

Unread 28-12-2017, 03:06 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranier Wolfcastle
great striker. one fredster i've known since those days absolutely buzzed off him.

I was glad he joined City, just because i know how much it would have pissed said fredster off

Unread 28-12-2017, 03:07 PM
tatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkie
Imagine the seethe after the West Ham game in 1995
The final straw for me was the 96 FAC final when he was clean through and somehow knee-balled it 20 yards wide.

Unread 28-12-2017, 04:44 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
The final straw for me was the 96 FAC final when he was clean through and somehow knee-balled it 20 yards wide.
In fact that season was more of a struggle for him than the original 6 months had been. He started improving after that tho.

Unread 28-12-2017, 04:48 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
In fact that season was more of a struggle for him than the original 6 months had been. He started improving after that tho.
Total %@#$&!s. Watch the 95-96 season review again and look at the number of goals he creates for others.

Unread 28-12-2017, 04:54 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Total %@#$&!s. Watch the 95-96 season review again and look at the number of goals he creates for others.
Wow, that's me told

He fluffed a LOT of chances that campaign, nqat.

Unread 28-12-2017, 04:55 PM
Tiberian

He improved as soon as Eric retired. Those 2 did not really fit together, which is strange given how easily Cole formed partnerships with most other forwards he played with, pre and post Utd.

94/95-he looked good in those 18 games. No Eric.
95/96-Poor season.
96/97-broken legs.
97/98, excellent season, a highlight would be his destruction of Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in the cup.

Unread 28-12-2017, 06:37 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
He improved as soon as Eric retired. Those 2 did not really fit together, which is strange given how easily Cole formed partnerships with most other forwards he played with, pre and post Utd.
probably not helped by cantona's refusal to pass to him.

must have learned from cantona, though, because he started scoring cheeky chips as well as poacher's goals.

Unread 28-12-2017, 07:01 PM
Child of Darkness

Admired him for his determination and his ability to learn .

When he was thru 1 on 1 I generally didn’t get exited .

Unread 29-12-2017, 12:58 AM
Chorlton74

Outstanding

Unread 29-12-2017, 01:24 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian

94/95-he looked good in those 18 games. No Eric.
95/96-Poor season.
96/97-broken legs.
97/98, excellent season, a highlight would be his destruction of Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in the cup.
If he hadn't been so good that season I think he'd have been sold. Then the following season Yorke arrives and the rest is history...

Unread 29-12-2017, 08:00 AM
Red Santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranier Wolfcastle
What would the reaction have been like on here if Fred existed then?

Would he have been slated for missing simple chances, would posters be pining for a different striker and complaining about the record fee?

People forget Cole split a lot of fans back then.

Fans today are worse though and more impatient so I wouldn't want to imagine tbh I guess a majority would be wanting him dropped and shipped off as ‘deadwood’ already

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
If he hadn't been so good that season I think he'd have been sold. Then the following season Yorke arrives and the rest is history...
He probably would’ve been eventually forced out before then had we brought in Shearer summer 1996 to partner Cantona. I remember around that time papers were always linking Cole away. Everton and Villa with genuine interest.

Unread 29-12-2017, 08:16 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
This. He came from Newcastle where he had scored 40 goals the previous season and everyone expected him to do the same at United, when it was clear we never bought him for that. His stength of mind and determinations is what impressed me more than anything during his time at United and I adored him. He's a top red too and always speaks about "us" and "we" when he references us these days.

Spends a lot of time in Abu Dhabi these days, although I've still not found him despite my efforts.

Unread 29-12-2017, 08:32 AM
tatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Santos

He probably would’ve been eventually forced out before then had we brought in Shearer summer 1996 to partner Cantona.
Without question for me the most disappointing transfer miss in all my years supporting us.

I'd have given anything to see them together for even just a season.

Unread 29-12-2017, 09:32 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
This. He came from Newcastle where he had scored 40 goals the previous season and everyone expected him to do the same at United, when it was clear we never bought him for that. His stength of mind and determinations is what impressed me more than anything during his time at United and I adored him. He's a top red too and always speaks about "us" and "we" when he references us these days.

Spends a lot of time in Abu Dhabi these days, although I've still not found him despite my efforts.

Unread 29-12-2017, 12:52 PM
Red Santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
Without question for me the most disappointing transfer miss in all my years supporting us.

I'd have given anything to see them together for even just a season.
Definitely would've got to the CL Final in 1997...and probably 1998 as well if we had Shearer up top....

Yep for me up there amongst biggest transfer misses under Fergie alongside Gascoigne, Batistuta and Ronaldinho

Unread 29-12-2017, 01:24 PM
jem

if we'd had shearer, we'd have been unbeatable. ronaldmcdonaldinho would have made us entertaining some weeks.

Unread 29-12-2017, 01:45 PM
Red Santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
if we'd had shearer, we'd have been unbeatable. ronaldmcdonaldinho would have made us entertaining some weeks.
Ronaldinho would've been gone in a couple of years but imagine the fun and damge he would've caused to Premier League and CL defences playing behind a peak Van Nistelrooy
Closed Thread