View Poll Results: Low qualityometer
Worst in living memory 11 25.58%
It's still early days 32 74.42%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 22-06-2018, 06:42 AM
Drexl

I feel I cannot vote as I am enjoying it

Apart from: either have a ref or have VAR. As it stands, neither is doing anything. It is just one big FUDGE.

Great word: FUDGE

Three games today

Unread 22-06-2018, 06:51 AM
Lazlo Panaflex

last 2 wcs have been a welcome break from the shite club seasons tbh. except this time we're not buzzing at the prospect of an exciting new manager

Unread 22-06-2018, 07:20 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Costa, Kane, Ronaldo, Mbappe, Griezmann, Lukaku, Suarez, Aguero all scored at least one so far? Not a bad list imo.
Sorry, wasn’t clear. That only accounts for 7 countries., the rest seem to have nothing upfront. Felt like in the past most countries had a really good striker to call upon, a proper threat. Most sides here don’t appear to have much if any threat thus far.

Unread 22-06-2018, 07:38 AM
Lazlo Panaflex

Best to worst world cups in my lifetime.

Unread 22-06-2018, 07:44 AM
guerreiro

Can’t remember any past 1998

Unread 22-06-2018, 07:44 AM
ziggyman17

Enjoying this one myself.. If people think this World Cup is bad, wait till the next one, when it is played In December in a desert..

Unread 22-06-2018, 07:51 AM
TheFatGoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyman17
Enjoying this one myself.. If people think this World Cup is bad, wait till the next one, when it is played In December in a desert..
Followed by the abomination of a 48 team WC spanning an entire continent with 3-team groups and penalties as a decider in every game.

Unread 22-06-2018, 07:54 AM
believe

Thumbs up

Enjoying this more than I thought I would, the pubs have been brilliant too. Every game packed with fans of varying nationalities and the atmospheres have been excellent. Game times help too because they start at 4pm and finish at midnight so everyone is finished from work and straight in the pubsz

Unread 22-06-2018, 08:02 AM
flixton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex

South Africa better than Italia 90

Unread 22-06-2018, 08:24 AM
AK14

Quote:

Looks about right for me too, although an argument could be made for 94 and 14 to swap.

I think, for me anyway, a lot of it has to do with where you were in your life at the time tbh and whether you were in a good place etc.

Unread 22-06-2018, 08:27 AM
Bunker Buster

Love world cups and euros HATE international football....

Unread 22-06-2018, 08:35 AM
Cream

Quote:

You remember them all, do you?
Ak'ers jumping in feet first with his little tweak.

Some rum £#%&!ers on here.

Unread 22-06-2018, 08:37 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream

We’re football crazy, we’re football mad

Unread 22-06-2018, 08:48 AM
signed dc

The quality has been getting steadily worse since '94 imho.
Too much exposure, all the good players have been hoovered up by the top European sides so the mystique of watching say Brazil or Argentina has gone.

Also there's a general drop off in star players, even in 2002 which was a bit shit as a tournament there were still loads of top quality players - Zidane, Figo, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Batistuta, Scholes, Kleberson to name but a handful. Once Messi & Ronaldo retire who would you put in the bracket? Neymar & Mbappe?!

That said, I'm actually enjoying this world cup, so £#%&! knows.

Unread 22-06-2018, 09:01 AM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:

hard to remember 90 but I do remember. Fell in love with the game because of the mayhem at home at the time.

absolutely remember the rest. Although I didn't watch 2014 as much as I was losing interest fast in the game.

I have an almost super natural memory.

Unread 22-06-2018, 09:12 AM
Whip Hubley

'06 was my favourite only because I was in Cologne for a week or so... incredible tbh, the only time international football is worth it's salt, different people from around the globe coming together and getting leathered on german beer.

Scenes.

Unread 22-06-2018, 09:30 AM
Sapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by signed dc
The quality has been getting steadily worse since '94 imho.
Too much exposure, all the good players have been hoovered up by the top European sides so the mystique of watching say Brazil or Argentina has gone.

Also there's a general drop off in star players, even in 2002 which was a bit shit as a tournament there were still loads of top quality players - Zidane, Figo, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Batistuta, Scholes, Kleberson to name but a handful. Once Messi & Ronaldo retire who would you put in the bracket? Neymar & Mbappe?!
Fred.

Unread 22-06-2018, 09:50 AM
solidstool

I think there has been a general increase in the standard of the historically lesser nations and a general decline of the historically strong nations. On top of that, the star names and world class players have vanished, bar a few exceptions. The elite are gone and the shite is gone. What we are left with is 32 teams all between championship to mid premier league standard.
So every match is a bit like watching Fulham v Cardiff. Portugal can win the world cup by basically being Cardiff, but with Ronaldo.

Unread 22-06-2018, 02:11 PM
Cream

Quote:
hard to remember 90 but I do remember. Fell in love with the game because of the mayhem at home at the time.

absolutely remember the rest. Although I didn't watch 2014 as much as I was losing interest fast in the game.

I have an almost super natural memory.
Then remember this (check user CP).

Another low quality game today. Brazil, with all the talent in the world, struggling to beat an awful Costa Rica.

Unread 22-06-2018, 02:29 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Then remember this (check user CP).

Another low quality game today. Brazil, with all the talent in the world, struggling to beat an awful Costa Rica.
Costa Rica who didn’t lose a game in normal time during the last World Cup, beating Italy and Uruguay.

By all accounts a bit unfortunate against Serbia. More so than the standard of the top sides going up, the smaller ones are better. Minnows like Costa Rica have the Real Madrid goalkeeper and several players who play in La Liga and Serie A.

Their players now get plenty of top level experience due to the globalisation of the game and this has been the priory for their players for four years. The days of expecting to walk over every smaller nation without issue are gone.
Closed Thread