Closed Thread

Unread 30-01-2009, 03:09 PM
koppas

Pea#@&%! scored both goals. Top red.

Unread 30-01-2009, 03:13 PM
redman

Quote:
Originally Posted by koppas
It didnt go wide of the post. It bounced up, onto the bar before Kharine caught it.
Was there that day, remember the Cantona effort, also remember how crap the ground was, the floodlight pylons in the corners, parts of the ground were closed off to fans it was so bad.

Unread 30-01-2009, 03:41 PM
Zorg

Chelsea's old subbuteo nets were ace.

As for Eric, the £#%&!wits who think he was overrated should watch that. No, it didn't go in, but look at the way he moves and strikes the ball, it's just majestic.

Unread 30-01-2009, 03:41 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Chelsea's old subbuteo nets were ace.

As for Eric, the £#%&!wits who think he was overrated should watch that. No, it didn't go in, but look at the way he moves and strikes the ball, it's just majestic.
surely such people do not exist?

Unread 30-01-2009, 03:49 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
surely such people do not exist?
There are some on here, Jack old bean.

'He didn't do it in Europe'

Unread 30-01-2009, 04:15 PM
Tumescent Throb

not sure what all the fuss is about

for example, Anderson could just as easily have missed from there

Unread 30-01-2009, 04:44 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
'He didn't do it in Europe'
Exactly. The many bitter ex-pro who fill up the papers and the likes of Talkshite and SSN are prime-examples. Total ABU-ism at the end of the day.

Ask the people who saw him play every week.

Cantona changed everything at United. Football genius. The best midfielder AND the best striker in Europe from 92-96 and we signed him for £1M.

£1M!!!! From £#%&!ing Leeds.

Unread 30-01-2009, 04:48 PM
Chorlton74

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
Exactly. The many bitter ex-pro who fill up the papers and the likes of Talkshite and SSN are prime-examples. Total ABU-ism at the end of the day.

Cantona changed everything at United. Football genius. The best midfielder AND the best striker in Europe from 92-96 and we signed him for £1M.

900k wasn't it?

even better!

Unread 30-01-2009, 04:53 PM
sullers

I thought it was 1.2 million personally.

Who cares. Footballing genius.

Unread 30-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Sloppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullers
I thought it was 1.2 million personally.

Who cares. Footballing genius.
Wasnt too bad was he.

Unread 30-01-2009, 04:57 PM
sullers

Default For me, this picture epitomizes him...

Just as much as the Sunderland celebration.

Hairs on the neck stand up when I see that

Unread 30-01-2009, 05:01 PM
The Watcher

The 1993/94 side are my favourite ever United side. That team, in full flow...what a sight. A relentless attacking machine. Fantastic.

Eric is God.

Unread 30-01-2009, 05:08 PM
dodger

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial

Well put.

Unread 30-01-2009, 06:11 PM
Pete's Shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
The 1993/94 side are my favourite ever United side. That team, in full flow...what a sight. A relentless attacking machine. Fantastic.

Eric is God.
It's easy to say now but could anyone see us not winning the Champions League with that side had it not been for that 4 foreigners rule.

Unread 30-01-2009, 06:15 PM
Sloppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher

Eric is God.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/sportvideo/

Eric Cantona:United For Life.

Unread 30-01-2009, 06:33 PM
MUFC One Love

I agree with everything said on this thread regarding Eric. My all time United and footballing idol.

Unread 30-01-2009, 06:34 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete's Shoes
It's easy to say now but could anyone see us not winning the Champions League with that side had it not been for that 4 foreigners rule.
tbh yes; Milan were superb that season, and they must've been to destroy Barca in the final

in the season or two that followed there was Ajax and Juve to contend with - both exceptional sides

United may have had a great chance at their best with luck on the injury front

but even then we were still tactically naive at that time. it was wrongly put down to the 'dinosaur formation' by many of the £#%&!wits in the English football media, or to poor technique. in reality it was simply a lack of real creative ideas and tactical imagination to take advantage of the other team's relative weaknesses. in short, United weren't ready and Ferguson as good as said as much by ripping it up and starting again.

when you see how he built a squad to win in 99, and then built a tactical masterclass to regain the trophy in 2008, these squads are an absolute world apart from the 1994 squad.

of course, put the best XI from 94 against any side in history you £#%&!ing want and they'd give them a game

Unread 30-01-2009, 06:39 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
tbh yes; Milan were superb that season, and they must've been to destroy Barca in the final

in the season or two that followed there was Ajax and Juve to contend with - both exceptional sides

United may have had a great chance at their best with luck on the injury front

but even then we were still tactically naive at that time. it was wrongly put down to the 'dinosaur formation' by many of the £#%&!wits in the English football media, or to poor technique. in reality it was simply a lack of real creative ideas and tactical imagination to take advantage of the other team's relative weaknesses. in short, United weren't ready and Ferguson as good as said as much by ripping it up and starting again.

when you see how he built a squad to win in 99, and then built a tactical masterclass to regain the trophy in 2008, these squads are an absolute world apart from the 1994 squad.

of course, put the best XI from 94 against any side in history you £#%&!ing want and they'd give them a game

In many respects English football wasn't ready. It can't be overstated just how much the 5 year ban set us back. Italy, Spain, Holland, Germany all made giant strides with us stuck in the mire.

It has taken English football until the last 5 years to get back to where it was at the time of the ban. Nearly 20 years.

Unread 30-01-2009, 06:42 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullers

Just as much as the Sunderland celebration.

Hairs on the neck stand up when I see that
you only like him because his nose is nearly as big as yours.

Unread 30-01-2009, 06:53 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
In many respects English football wasn't ready. It can't be overstated just how much the 5 year ban set us back. Italy, Spain, Holland, Germany all made giant strides with us stuck in the mire.

It has taken English football until the last 5 years to get back to where it was at the time of the ban. Nearly 20 years.
I don't subscribe to that. We may not have played these teams but we weren't blind to the way they played. Any coach worth his salt could have played the way they did...if he had the players.

United won the cup winners cup first year back in a competition that included the spanish and italian league winners of that season and the two teams who contested the following years european cup final.

English football had been technically behind the rest of europe for a long time before the ban but still managed to compete. The Liverpool, Vill and Forest sides that won in europe weren't great technical teams. They had a lot of other great apsects but I wouldn't say they riven with silky skills.

I think the ban affecting our teams was a media line trotted out all to easily to fit the circumstances.
Closed Thread