United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-01-2009, 01:14 AM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Nearly every aspect of Rooney's game is superior. The only area that they are close in is finishing and work rate. If you can't see this yourself, then you probably don't know what you are looking for.

The subject is about the partnership up front, it has £#%&! all to do with Ronaldo.
rooneys ability to hold onto to ball isnt as good tevez'.
tevez is also better at running with the ball, one of the best at the club imo despite him not being so quick he is very good at running with the ball.
tevez also is a better headerer of the ball and his finishing and goal scoring instincts are up there.
also knows how to close down players without that hint of red mist.
all these qualities are what we needed against chelsea in the ecl, do you know who was subbed off?

Unread 30-01-2009, 01:19 AM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowman
tevez also is a better headerer of the ball and his finishing and goal scoring instincts are up there.
apart from Moscow obviously when he missed two sitters

Unread 30-01-2009, 01:22 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
tevez is also better at running with the ball, one of the best at the club imo despite him not being so quick he is very good at running with the ball.
all these qualities are what we needed against chelsea in the ecl, do you know who was subbed off?
Rooney is better at holding onto the ball, he holds it up well and can cut inside and his delivery with the cross field balls is first class....

He squares the play and provides us with width better than a winger some times..

Rooney AND tevez are both poor with the ball at their feet, Tevez is the better header of the ball without a doubt....I dont understand why Wayne is so poor with his head...

Unread 30-01-2009, 01:22 AM
marlo

lets just leave it there and agree to disagree.

its a game of opinions.

opinions are like yesterdays. we all have one.
i love them both.

Unread 30-01-2009, 01:23 AM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
apart from Moscow obviously when he missed two sitters
strikers missing sitters and you use this to defend rooney.

thats like defending berbatov in comparisom to zlatan by saying 'but zlatan is lazy'

Unread 30-01-2009, 01:28 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Better at running with the ball? Not sure I agree. Most of the time when he does actually run with the ball, he is incredibly frustrating because he rarely releases it at the right time. That is one massive difference between the two. Rooney always knows when to release the ball, his selection of passing and when to make the pass is far superior to Tevez. If we're on a counter attack and you have to choose between Rooney on the ball and Tevez, they're running and they have to choose the right ball to play in a team mate...who would you pick in that situation?

Tevez is good at holding the ball up, I agree. I don't think Rooney is too bad either. Worth bearing in mind that Rooney is far more effective at playing up front on his own than Tevez. Why? Because he is a more intelligent player. He holds the ball up well, he knows when to make the right runs, he has more pace.

Tevez is not a better header of the ball. He has missed some £#%&!ing easy chances with his head. It is an area they both could improve. I don't give the advantage to Tevez. They're both pretty poor actually.

Tevez is a good player. A level below Rooney though, and that is no bad thing...if you're a level below Rooney then you're still a £#%&!ing good player. Rooney though for me, is clearly the better player.

Unread 30-01-2009, 03:01 AM
Argentina

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
It's pretty clear that Rooney is a different class, his power, pace, technical ability, his vision for a 22 year old is superb, and he works just as hard as Tevez.
No he doesn't.
Only when he has been slighted does Rooney work as intensely as Tevez, and that comes at a cost of bookings, walking a tightrope for the rest of the game and suspensions.

Quote:
Take away Tevez chasing every ball around, and you don't get a player who deserves all this hype.
Well, you don't need to. It's like saying 'Take away Carrick's passing ability and you've got a shit on a stick in central midfield'

When he stops working so hard, he won't get the hype. Fair deal?

Quote:
A few people say after Berbatov does anything about his you expect it for £30m etc, or thats the least you can expect. The same applies to Tevez if that logic is being used. Running around doesn't make you a £30m. He isn't a goal scorer, has no pace, and generally doesn't set the world on fire, how can he be worth £30m? (The price some people would happily pay).
You don't really have to set the world on fire. Do your job. Stoke this season (Berbatov to Tevez), an assist at Bolton (Tevez to Berbatov) have given us 4 priceless points when time was slipping away. Add to that Lyons away last year and a few others I can't remember, last year might have been quite alot different had it not been for old Carlitos.

But all he does is run around and not set the world on fire. Not a United player.

Quote:
And people only like Rooney 'cos he is English etc? %@#$&!s, if Rooney was foreign a few on here would love him, and the fact that Tevez has a good sounding name and lost his place to Berbatov makes him a player a few love to build up.
I've no idea why people don't like criticising Rooney. He goes for weeks without scoring then scores 5 in 5, everyone goes on about him, then he won't score for weeks again and all is forgotten because 'he'll hit scoring form soon'. We need a bit of consistency.

To be honest, you may have noticed my Rooney whingings have died down a little recently and that's because he's been playing at an acceptable standard, and most people seem to be realising he's not a demi-god and are accepting him for being a good player. Nothing more, nothing less.

As for the Tev - Berba partnership. Rooney will need weening in but there should be a message sent out saying that if you get your chance and take it, you're in, even if it means leaving out a big name.

Unread 30-01-2009, 09:57 AM
antonin jablonsky

So it's Rooney now as well as Berbatov who have to get slagged so that marlo can support Tevez Anderson United Football Club.

Unread 30-01-2009, 02:23 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
So it's Rooney now as well as Berbatov who have to get slagged so that marlo can support Tevez Anderson United Football Club.
He has seen his arse with Berbatov.

It'll be Welbeck when Rooney comes back and starts playing well.

Unread 30-01-2009, 02:25 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:

Egotism isn't it. He has his little favourite and he's so wrapped up in him he can't see beyond himself.

Unread 30-01-2009, 02:28 PM
Alan

What's this about Rooney leading the line?

He is not and has never been a natural no.9.

His best position is clearly playing off someone else who leads the line.

Unread 30-01-2009, 02:30 PM
marlo

Quote:

wellbeck is a top boy 3rd choice behind zlatan and tevez when mourinho comes.

rooney to inter as he is fed up with england.

ive seen it.

united 10/11

rafa
rio
vidic
evra

ronaldo
carrick
anderson
tosic

tevez
zlatan

Unread 30-01-2009, 02:30 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan

If you're referring to me, my point was that he is better at playing the role, than Tevez is. Not sure who you are directing that at though.

Unread 30-01-2009, 02:31 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:

how about giving us some examples of when this has been at its most obviously successful?

i imagine from the thrust of your post that you'd be able to reel them off the top of your head, no problem at all

Unread 30-01-2009, 02:33 PM
Alan

Quote:
If you're referring to me, my point was that he is better at playing the role, than Tevez is. Not sure who you are directing that at though.
Directed at anyone who thinks Rooney should be leading the line.

Which may be nobody as I only skimmed the thread

Unread 30-01-2009, 02:33 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:

ive seen it.

united 10/11

rafa
rio
vidic
evra

ronaldo
carrick
anderson
tosic

tevez
zlatan

Unread 30-01-2009, 02:34 PM
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
how about giving us some examples of when this has been at its most obviously successful?

i imagine from the thrust of your post that you'd be able to reel them off the top of your head, no problem at all
When playing behind RVN.

When playing behind Saha.

When playing behind Heskey for England.

Unread 30-01-2009, 02:35 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
On his day, Rooney is clearly the superior player imo. Tevez is quality, but he doesn't offer the little extra something that Rooney has, the little moments of genius.

That said, there's no denying that for long periods last season Tevez was better than Rooney.

No idea why people constantly feel the need to belittle one in order to make a point about the other though.
Agreed.

Unread 30-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Spaniard

Quote:

ive seen it.

united 10/11

rafa
rio
vidic
evra

ronaldo
carrick
anderson
tosic

tevez
zlatan
Why anyone would want that #@&%! here is beyond me.

Remember the amount of abuse Fergie got on RI after his bitch-fest with those Irish guy? And now people want a vain, self-obsessed, ego maniac at OT..?

EDIT: And yes Wazza needs to improve his finishing. His all-round game is excellent, but the number of easy one-on-ones he misses is embarrassing at times.

Unread 30-01-2009, 03:09 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
When playing behind RVN.

When playing behind Saha.

When playing behind Heskey for England.

none of those have been obviously successful partnerships imo

his best position may well be in the hole or at least playing as part of a strike partnership

but he's such a good player that he's shown he's capable of playing all over the front of the team in various formations

for example, he didn't have a genuine old fashioned (english) no 9 to play off for much of last season and United still seemed to do okay
Closed Thread