United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 20-01-2009, 05:40 PM
HollowmanVIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
£#%&!ing crazy wasn't it. took his whole family as well didn't he.

WWF's golden age was around the late 80s, early 90s.

Towards the end of the 90's and since, it's not so much wrestling as a glorified soap opera.
I agree.

There were some good moments in my last years of High School 99-2001 (The Rock, HHH, Stone Cold etc all in their prime), but then it just got a bit too silly after that.

There have been some big losses in the past 10 years.

Mr Perfect
Eddy Guerrero
Bulldog
Crush
Benoit
Owen Hart
Junk Yard Dog
Rick Rude
Yokozuna
Gorilla Monsoon
Crash Holly
Hawk
Miss Elizabeth
Earthquake
Big Bossman
Bam Bam Bigalow
Fabulous Moolah

Unread 20-01-2009, 05:44 PM
koppas

Hulkamania. Nft.

Unread 20-01-2009, 05:44 PM
Throw

Don't forget Luscious Skin

R.I.P

Unread 20-01-2009, 05:45 PM
The Watcher

Ha, Big Bossman! That's a name I aint heard in years

Remember when Royal Rumble (or was it Wrestlemania?) was held at the old Wembley Stadium? Conveniently for the home crowd, British Bulldog won the World Championship

Unread 20-01-2009, 05:46 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedy23
I agree.

There were some good moments in my last years of High School 99-2001 (The Rock, HHH, Stone Cold etc all in their prime), but then it just got a bit too silly after that.

That to me is the stupid era. All that 'degeneration X' %@#$&!s or whatever they were called. Running around screaming "suck it". Yes, whatever.

I preferred it back in the days when it was Hulk Hogan vs Sgt. Slaughter (circa 1990 around the time of the first Iraq war) when Slaughter would come into the ring with his No2, some faceless arab bloke waving an Iraqi flag. Then in came Hogan with all his Pro American guff. Hilarious.

Demolition. The triple man tag team that look like something from the rocky horror show.

And the original Undertaker with Paul Bearer who was £#%&!ing hilarious.

Dueling Banjos

Grew up to be a big lad didn't he?

jaffo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarkNowHear
Mick McM@&%!, Jackie Pallow, Kendo Nagasaki, now we are talking playground wrestling
Fredster Stax was his second for a bout once.

Unread 20-01-2009, 05:50 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
That to me is the stupid era. All that 'degeneration X' %@#$&!s or whatever they were called. Running around screaming "suck it". Yes, whatever.

I preferred it back in the days when it was Hulk Hogan vs Sgt. Slaughter (circa 1990 around the time of the first Iraq war) when Slaughter would come into the ring with his No2, some faceless arab bloke waving an Iraqi flag. Then in came Hogan with all his Pro American guff. Hilarious.

Spot on Sparky! WWF was hilarious (although, completely racist!) around the time of the First Gulf War. Sgt Slaughter and his Arab mates

@#%&! cheated (Rand Savage lent a helping hand) to beat Ultimate Warrior at Wrestlemania around that time too

Unread 20-01-2009, 05:53 PM
HollowmanVIII

Quote:
Don't tell me you never did the ''crotch chops'' and said ''suck it''

Unread 20-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher

Remember when Royal Rumble (or was it Wrestlemania?) was held at the old Wembley Stadium? Conveniently for the home crowd, British Bulldog won the World Championship
Not that I've ever watched wrestling but it was Summerslam and Davey won the Intercontinental championship. But like I said I never watched it.

Unread 20-01-2009, 05:54 PM
HollowmanVIII

Quote:

Intercontinetal

Unread 20-01-2009, 05:54 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Spot on Sparky! WWF was hilarious (although, completely racist!) around the time of the First Gulf War. Sgt Slaughter and his Arab mates

@#%&! cheated (Rand Savage lent a helping hand) to beat Ultimate Warrior at Wrestlemania around that time too
See Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase and Virgil as exhibit A.

"Virgil, clean my shoes!!"

Unread 20-01-2009, 05:55 PM
Stickman

Thumbs up

1997 was ther best year by a country mile.

Never missed raw, Fridays at school buzzing to £#%&!. Back then it was on 10-11 (not 2 hours)

I was 14 and ALL my mates spoke about it at the time. The Whole Hart Foundation (Canada) v Austin Michaels etc (USA)

Raw would be in Canada one week then USA the next where the roles would be reversed on who the bad guys actually were. £#%&!ing genius marketing etc

Unread 20-01-2009, 05:59 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
1997 was ther best year by a country mile.

Never missed raw, Fridays at school buzzing to £#%&!. Back then it was on 10-11 (not 2 hours)

I was 14 and ALL my mates spoke about it at the time. The Whole Hart Foundation (Canada) v Austin Michaels etc (USA)

Raw would be in Canada one week then USA the next where the roles would be reversed on who the bad guys actually were. £#%&!ing genius marketing etc
Around 1990/91, nobody I knew had sky and the only place you could watch 'superstars of wrestling' was at the local youth club on Sky One.

We all used to be huddled around the arcade machines playing Golden Axe, Shadow Dancer or Streetfighter 2 or something and they'd shout "Wrestling's on!" We'd just run like crazy to get a decent seat to watch it, Icepoles and push pops flying everywhere.

Unread 20-01-2009, 06:05 PM
Pop

Famous Wrestlers That Have Died Since 1985 Before the Age of 65

Chris Von Erich - 21
Mike Von Erich - 23
Louie Spiccoli - 27
Art Barr - 28
Gino Hernandez - 29
Jay Youngblood - 30
Rick McGraw - 30
Joey Marella - 30
Ed Gatner - 31
Buzz Sawyer - 32
Crash Holly - 32
Kerry Von Erich - 33
D.J. Peterson - 33
Eddie Gilbert - 33
The Renegade - 33
Chris Candido - 33
Adrian Adonis - 34
Gary Albright - 34
Bobby Duncum Jr. - 34
Owen Hart - 34
Yokozuna - 34
Big Dick Dudley - 34
Brian Pillman - 35
Marianna Komlos - 35
Pitbull #2 - 36
The Wall/Malice - 36
Emory Hale - 36
Leroy Brown - 38
Mark Curtis - 38
Eddie Guerrero - 38
John Kronus - 38
Davey Boy Smith - 39
Johnny Grunge - 39
Vivian Vachon - 40
Jeep Swenson - 40
Brady Boone - 40
Terry Gordy - 40
Bertha Faye - 40
Billy Joe Travis - 40
Chris Benoit - 40
Larry Cameron - 41
Rick Rude - 41
Randy Anderson - 41
Bruiser Brody - 42
Miss Elizabeth - 42
Big Boss Man - 42
Earthquake - 42
Mike Awesome - 42
Biff Wellington - 42
Brian Adams (Crush) - 43
Ray Candy - 43
Nancy Benoit (Woman) - 43
Dino Bravo - 44
Curt Hennig - 44
Bam Bam Bigelow - 45
Jerry Blackwell - 45
Junkyard Dog - 45
Hercules - 45
Andre the Giant - 46
Big John Studd - 46
Chris Adams - 46
Mike Davis - 46
Hawk - 46
Cousin Junior - 48
Dick Murdoch - 49
Jumbo Tsuruta - 49
Rocco Rock - 49
Sherri Martel - 49
Moondog Spot - 51
Ken Timbs - 53
Uncle Elmer - 54
Pez Whatley - 54
The Angel of Death - 54
Eddie Graham - 55
Tarzan Tyler - 55
Haystacks Calhoun- 55
Giant Haystacks - 55
The Spoiler - 56
Kurt Von Hess - 56
Moondog King - 56
Gene Anderson - 58
Dr. Jerry Graham - 58
Bulldog Brown - 58
Tony Parisi - 58
Rufus R. Jones - 60
Ray Stevens - 60
Stan Stasiak - 60
Terry Garvin - 60
Boris Malenko - 61
Little Beaver - 61
Sapphire - 61
Shohei Baba - 61
Dick the Bruiser - 62
Wilbur Snyder - 62
George Cannon - 62
Karl Krupp - 62
Dale Lewis - 62
Gorilla Monsoon - 62
Hiro Matsuda - 62
Bad News Brown - 63
Bulldog Brower - 63
SD Jones - 63
Wahoo McDaniel - 63

Unread 20-01-2009, 06:10 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodzy
Probably.
Is it just me or does Barack Obama sound like The Rock?
yes. Yes, he does.

Unread 20-01-2009, 06:10 PM
Coracao

Quote:

Demolition. The triple man tag team that look like something from the rocky horror show.

You will like this then, taking the piss out of Hogan and Slaughter

Unread 20-01-2009, 06:13 PM
Rhodzy

Quote:
yes. Yes, he does.

rofl

Unread 20-01-2009, 06:13 PM
Sloppy

WCW>WWF

Unread 20-01-2009, 06:16 PM
Switching Off

As fred's resident Wrestling expert () let me put you right.

Quote:
One half of the world famous Heart Foundation. One of the greatest tag teams (Legion of Doom were better if we're being honest) in WWF history.
Owen wasn't a member of the HART Foundation tag team, that was Bret hart and Jim The Anvil Neidhart. Owen teamed with Anvil in the New Foundation later. Although, there was a Hart Foundation faction in 1997 that Owen was part of.

Legion of Doom's WWF run is generally regarded as a failure. They were a dominant tag team in the AWA and NWA in the 80's (in fact, Demolition were a direct rip off) but in WWE they only had one title run of note and were generally under utilised. Both Hawk and Animal have gone on record as saying the run was a waste of their talent. By that reckoning, the Hart Foundation were a more successful tag team, and any fan will tell you that the Brtish Bulldogs were the greatest tag team in WWF
history. Legion of Doom had cool spikes though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
I think he was from the North West. He had some major issues with drugs from what I recall, it was on North West tonight.
He was from Warrington, Dynamite Kid was from Wigan and still lives there. Albeit in a wheelchair with a metal pin sticking out of his toe.

Quote:

I think you've already been corrected.

As for Owen, I did sit up and watch it, you can still see the videos on Daily Motion, alhough not of the fall, just the announcer's reaction. Ironically, less than an hour after he was confirmed dead, The Undertaker won the WWF title.

Owen had actually been trying to quit the business and become a fireman for about a year but decided to stick around another year to pay off his mortgage. Genuinely was one of the good guys in the business, unlike a lot of the guys who died due to drug abuse.

HTH.
Closed Thread