United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 20-01-2009, 05:17 PM
Coracao

Exclamation £#%&!ing hell...it's 10 years since Owen Hart snuffed it

A few days before we won the European Cup

I remember the day after in school, for some reason every £#%&!er in school must have stayed up to watch that event.

Unread 20-01-2009, 05:21 PM
carlosartorial

*risks looking very ignorant*

Who the £#%&! was Owen Hart?

Unread 20-01-2009, 05:22 PM
HarkNowHear

WWF wrestler

please let me be right

Unread 20-01-2009, 05:23 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial

god, spot the thickie. i can't believe you don't know that

The Watcher

Exclamation

Quote:
One half of the world famous Heart Foundation. One of the greatest tag teams (Legion of Doom were better if we're being honest) in WWF history.

Coracao

Quote:

He was a wrestler, brother of Bret Hart.

I have no idea why this actually came into my head today.

Quote:

On May 23, 1999, Hart fell to his death in Kansas City, Missouri during the Over the Edge pay-per-view event.[42] Hart was in the process of being lowered via harness and rappel line into the ring from the rafters of Kemper Arena for a booked Intercontinental Championship match against The Godfather. In keeping with the Blazer's new "buffoonish superhero" character, he was to begin a dramatic entrance, being lowered to just above ring level, at which time he would act "entangled", then release himself from the safety harness and fall flat on his face for comedic effect – this necessitated the use of a quick release mechanism. It was an elaboration on a Blue Blazer stunt done previously on the Sunday Night Heat before Survivor Series 1998.[43] This time, something went wrong with the stunt harness, apparently triggering the release mechanism early as he was being lowered. Hart fell 78 feet (24 m) into the ring, landing chest-first on the top rope, approximately a foot from the nearest turnbuckle, throwing him into the ring.[44] In Mick Foley's autobiography Have a Nice Day: A Tale of Blood and Sweatsocks, he claims that following the fall, Hart attempted to sit up and did so before falling back.

Hart had performed the stunt only a few times before and was worried about performing the stunt at the Kemper Arena due to the height involved. Hart's wife Martha has suggested that, by moving around to get comfortable with both the harness and his cape on, Hart unintentionally triggered an early release. TV viewers at home did not see the incident or its aftermath – at the moment of the fall, a pre-taped vignette was being shown on the pay-per-view broadcast as well as on the monitors in the darkened arena. After, while Hart was being worked on by medical personnel inside the ring, the live event's broadcast showed only the audience. Meanwhile, WWF television announcer Jim Ross repeatedly told those watching live on pay-per-view that what had just transpired was not a wrestling angle or storyline and that Hart was hurt badly, emphasizing the seriousness of the situation.[45] Hart was transported to Truman Medical Center in Kansas City, where he was pronounced dead on arrival. (Hart had actually died while still being tended to in the ring.) The cause was later revealed to be internal bleeding from blunt chest trauma.

Unread 20-01-2009, 05:24 PM
HarkNowHear

get in Hark

Sloppy

Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
One half of the world famous Heart Foundation. One of the greatest tag teams (Legion of Doom were better if we're being honest) in WWF history.
ahh, i've heard of them. i remember nearly killing a lad during an impromptu 'royal rumble' at junior school

Unread 20-01-2009, 05:25 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Can't believe it's been 10 years since something happened that means nothing to me.

Unread 20-01-2009, 05:26 PM
carlosartorial

A WWF Wrestler?

Oh right.......that's......really sad. For both his family and millions of fans worldwide.

*exits thread*

Unread 20-01-2009, 05:28 PM
Sparky***

that family has undergone some tragedy. Davey boy smith was married to Owen's sister or something wasn't he when he mysteriously carked it.

Unread 20-01-2009, 05:29 PM
The Watcher

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
ahh, i've heard of them. i remember nearly killing a lad during an impromptu 'royal rumble' at junior school
Ah, wrestling during school days - quality

Some great characters during the early 90s (when I watched it). Mr Perfect, Jake 'The Snake' Roberts, Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Ultimate Warrior, The Bushwackers, The Million Dollar Man, The Undertaker (and Paul Bearer ). Great entertainment!

Unread 20-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
that family has undergone some tragedy. Davey boy smith was married to Owen's sister or something wasn't he when he mysteriously carked it.
I think he was from the North West. He had some major issues with drugs from what I recall, it was on North West tonight.

Unread 20-01-2009, 05:31 PM
ScarFace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
that family has undergone some tragedy. [SIZE="5"]Davey Boy smith was married to Owen's sister or something wasn't he when he mysteriously carked it.

plays in our 10v10 team

Unread 20-01-2009, 05:31 PM
HollowmanVIII

Think I was in year 9 at School when this happened. Remember talking to my mate about it on the Monday morning walking in. Quite a sad moment really.

I remember Brian Pillman dying a year or so earlier.

Benoit's death is still one of the most shocking.

Unread 20-01-2009, 05:32 PM
naes_sean

£#%&! me! That was 10 years ago? I'm an old @#%&!.

Unread 20-01-2009, 05:34 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedy23
Think I was in year 9 at School when this happened. Remember talking to my mate about it on the Monday morning walking in. Quite a sad moment really.

I remember Brian Pillman dying a year or so earlier.

Benoit's death is still one of the most shocking.
£#%&!ing crazy wasn't it. took his whole family as well didn't he.

WWF's golden age was around the late 80s, early 90s.

Towards the end of the 90's and since, it's not so much wrestling as a glorified soap opera.

Unread 20-01-2009, 05:35 PM
HarkNowHear

Mick McM@&%!, Jackie Pallow, Kendo Nagasaki, now we are talking playground wrestling

Unread 20-01-2009, 05:37 PM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
plays in our 10v10 team
I don't play in our 10 vs 10 team, I AM OUR 10v10 TEAM!!!
Closed Thread