United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 21-01-2009, 09:17 PM
Whalefish

I'll google him, some 16 year old is bound to have youtubed him with some shocking euro trance/pop soundtrack accompanying the footage.

Unread 22-01-2009, 05:35 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
I only really watched them in the last third of the season when they put the run together to overtake Gremio. I really liked their midfield. I can't remember the name of the player who played alongside Hernanes, but the commentators were saying they both came through the academy. Anyway, both very impressive. I wasn't setting out to watch him in particular, but he did stand out. It seems like quite a workman-like team they've got and he's very much the central part it.
Yeah. He's impressed me a lot whenever I've watched him and was definitely their stand-out performer in the 2007 Copa Sudamericana tie against Boca. Smart, absolutely two footed, great close control, ability to beat his marker, excellent passer of the ball, plays with his head up, reasonably sound defensively, multi functional. Basically a complete midfielder, although he does lack a bit of speed and strength. If he played in England, I reckon they'd probably call him a Rolls-Royce of a footballer.

In terms of his partner, I guess if you watched them last year you're thinking of Jean? Although previously he formed an excellent pairing with Richarlyson. Think you're certainly spot on with your characterisation of Sao Paulo as a workman-like team as well, by the way.

Speaking of the Brazilian league, have you seen anything of Keirrison at Palmeiras?

Unread 22-01-2009, 05:42 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
Yeah. He's impressed me a lot whenever I've watched him and was definitely their stand-out performer in the 2007 Copa Sudamericana tie against Boca. Smart, absolutely two footed, great close control, ability to beat his marker, excellent passer of the ball, plays with his head up, reasonably sound defensively, multi functional. Basically a complete midfielder, although he does lack a bit of speed and strength. If he played in England, I reckon they'd probably call him a Rolls-Royce of a footballer.

In terms of his partner, I guess if you watched them last year you're thinking of Jean? Although previously he formed an excellent pairing with Richarlyson. Think you're certainly spot on with your characterisation of Sao Paulo as a workman-like team as well, by the way.

Speaking of the Brazilian league, have you seen anything of Keirrison at Palmeiras?
Just checked a picture of Jean and that's who it was. Looked the more defensive-minded of the two.

Keirrison was at Coritiba, wasn't he? He got the award for most promising player last season. I saw him towards the end of the season but he didn't really do anything. Not really apart from that, only a few goals on highlights and stuff. You a fan?

Unread 22-01-2009, 06:06 PM
Gazw649

[quote=That Boy Ronaldo!;1341152]Thought Anderson was fantastic last night.

Even winning 3-0 he was %@#$&!ing other players for not helping out.

[b]Said it many times, add goals to his game and he's a complete midfielder, his first goal will do him the world of good./[b][quote]

Steady on. Completely over-hyped, a good player yes, but got loads to learn / improve

Unread 22-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Just checked a picture of Jean and that's who it was. Looked the more defensive-minded of the two.
Right. Hernanes is the ball-playing segundo volante. He's actually an attacking midfielder by trade, something which I think occasionally shows in terms of his defensive application, but his lack of pace has held him back a bit when I've seen him played further forward.
Quote:
Keirrison was at Coritiba, wasn't he? He got the award for most promising player last season. I saw him towards the end of the season but he didn't really do anything. Not really apart from that, only a few goals on highlights and stuff. You a fan?
Nah. Like you I haven't seen enough of him to make a firm judgement. Have heard some positive things about him though, and his scoring record is excellent. Will be interesting to see how he gets on in the Libertadores this year. If he makes a big impression, I would guess that he'll be on his way to Europe in the summer.

Unread 22-01-2009, 06:19 PM
S/Side.Red

When does the group phase start, middle-late next month?

Unread 22-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
When does the group phase start, middle-late next month?
Preliminary round begins next week. Competition proper starts second week of February.

Unread 22-01-2009, 06:32 PM
S/Side.Red

Do you see Sao Paulo as favourites? I see they've signed Washington from Flu.

Unread 01-02-2009, 02:09 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Do you see Sao Paulo as favourites? I see they've signed Washington from Flu.
Not sure I'd make them outright favourites, but they'd be amongst the top two, for sure. They have a strong team and a lot of depth in their squad, particularly in midfield, where they have probably the best pool of players in Latin America. A great mentality as a club too. Were very unlucky to lose to Flu last year, I thought.

Keirrison off to a nice start in the competition, by the way. He scored two goals and put in a good performance against Real Potosi in the first leg of the preliminary round. Potosi's defending not up to much, mind. He should probably have had a hat-trick too.

Incidentally, was just reading an interview with the great Socrates in Placar magazine. Taking about contemporary players who would have fit into that great 1982 midfield of Brazil, he points to Zidane and Hernanes as a couple of the few who would be worthy of a place. From a man of Socrates stature, that's quite some compliment for a young lad like Hernanes.
Closed Thread