United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 31-01-2009, 08:40 PM
borsuk

Default vds' record goes on and on and on

from the beeb

Quote:
1905: It's official. The 72 minutes are up and Edwin van der Sar has beaten Death. The United keeper reaches 1,104 minutes without conceding a league goal, beating the previous mark set by Reading's Steve Death in 1979.
the defence is the difference for us. liverpool scored against everton in every match but couldn't keep a clean sheet. everton hardly had a sniff against us today.

Unread 31-01-2009, 08:43 PM
Spaniard

Great record for us to have, gladf for VDS and the defence. O'Shea gave me the shits with his shitty touches a few times though.

Unread 31-01-2009, 08:45 PM
Coracao

West Ham will probably beat us 5 nil next week. It would be typical of the @#%&!s. Our record there is dire.

Unread 31-01-2009, 08:46 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaniard
Great record for us to have, gladf for VDS and the defence. O'Shea gave me the shits with his shitty touches a few times though.
THAT has been the difference with United this year. When Evra has played we very rarely get attacked down the right. We have proved very much this season that attack is the best form of defence.

Unread 31-01-2009, 08:47 PM
Grimson

I'm glad breaking the record gets Steve Death a few mentions. Top pro, only 5'8" at most, and yes, he's dead, of cancer at only 50-something.

Unread 31-01-2009, 08:59 PM
sullers

Safest pair of hands since the Dane. I always defend him when the usual corners request Buffon or Cech after he has a minor mistake.

Unread 31-01-2009, 09:06 PM
wiganste

Incredible stat alert.

In the 12 games where we haven't conceded, VDS has only made 19 saves.

Our defence is awesome

Unread 31-01-2009, 09:07 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
Incredible stat alert.

In the 12 games where we haven't conceded, VDS has only made 19 saves.

Our defence is awesome
Yes, and out ability to control the ball and stop teams really getting at us is also a major part of that run.

Unread 31-01-2009, 09:19 PM
Camel

agree with just about everything posted on this thread.

today, everton rarely troubled us. a stand out moment for me was vidic's attitude after he clashed heads with fellaini, the look on his face was priceless, like an animal

Unread 31-01-2009, 09:26 PM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel
agree with just about everything posted on this thread.
today, everton rarely troubled us. a stand out moment for me was vidic's attitude after he clashed heads with fellaini, the look on his face was priceless, like an animal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
West Ham will probably beat us 5 nil next week. It would be typical of the @#%&!s. Our record there is dire.
Hopefully this is one thing you don't agree with?

Unread 31-01-2009, 09:29 PM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
When he fist signed I questioned his attitude. I did not doubt his ability but worried about his mentality playing for a big club. Could he handle the pressure and expectation?

He has proven that he can, initially he was content to play second fiddle to Scholes, but as time has gone on he has firmly established himself as the number one choice and has really developed as a player, showing leadership and tactcial awareness to go along with his superb passing ability.

Like all top midfielder he understands that simplicity is key. Scholes is the same.

Gerrard is a great footballer, but he has never been a great CM, lacks the discipline and short passing ability to really dictate the tempo. Benitez has been right to play him in positions where he has more freedom, wide and off the front, allows him to be devastating in bursts.

It's no coincidence that since Carrick signed, we have won back to back titles & the European Cup. Also, we reached the semi final of the Champions League in his first season. Injuries & fatigue £#%&!ed us there (and an awful display in the San Siro it has to be said)

Unread 31-01-2009, 09:35 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
It's no coincidence that since Carrick signed, we have won back to back titles & the European Cup. Also, we reached the semi final of the Champions League in his first season. Injuries & fatigue £#%&!ed us there (and an awful display in the San Siro it has to be said)
I think it has almost been forgotten how close we came to a repeat of the treble that year. It was a superb season for us really, as you say the defensive injury crisis and a small squad meaning that Giggs and Scholes especially were faitgued at the end of the season ruined us.

Heinze being totally inept at the San Siro and Giggs in the final against Chelsea being blatatly fouled by Essien in that ball over the line incident(even though he probably still should have scored) meant that we only ended up with the League.

In some ways the 06/07 season was a greater achievement than last year, and especially in the first half of that season we played some of our best football under fergie.

Unread 31-01-2009, 09:40 PM
Camel

Quote:
Hopefully this is one thing you don't agree with?
i'm sure mr coracao said that tongue in cheek. it'll be a tough match but i can see us turning them over even with our record against them. stats mean jack shit and we owe them a beating.
Quote:
amen, fantastic player. it was a worry to see who would pick up the cm mantle after keane and scholes being in the twilight of his career. we're in safe feet with carrick and anderson, i feel.

Unread 31-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Spaniard

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
THAT has been the difference with United this year. When Evra has played we very rarely get attacked down the right. We have proved very much this season that attack is the best form of defence.
Yup and he gives the ball away so much, and has so many shit touches, that he gives momentum to the opposition right full-back and winger. Still Paddy is back now, and hopefully Fabio will be used as his back-up.

Unread 31-01-2009, 10:13 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaniard
Yup and he gives the ball away so much, and has so many shit touches, that he gives momentum to the opposition right full-back and winger. Still Paddy is back now, and hopefully Fabio will be used as his back-up.
who does?

Unread 31-01-2009, 10:16 PM
koppas

Vds's massive #@&%! also goes on and on and on.

Unread 31-01-2009, 10:29 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
I'm glad breaking the record gets Steve Death a few mentions. Top pro, only 5'8" at most, and yes, he's dead, of cancer at only 50-something.
Yeah, you're right. Been reading up on him this week (sadly)

Unread 31-01-2009, 10:32 PM
carlosartorial

Grimmers, what was your PB while you were playing? Anywhere close?

Unread 31-01-2009, 10:44 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
Grimmers, what was your PB while you were playing? Anywhere close?
PB - personal best?

I once defended three corners in one half and only conceded once.

Unread 31-01-2009, 10:45 PM
koppas

Who you play for Grimson?
Closed Thread