United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-01-2009, 08:37 PM
koppas

Default Hargreaves "certainly fit for start of next season"

According to SAFO.

Think he will find it hard becoming a regular tbh.

Unread 30-01-2009, 08:45 PM
fergieslovechild

Quote:
Originally Posted by koppas
According to SAFO.

Think he will find it hard becoming a regular tbh.
Not if heregains his form he won't.

Carrick/Hargo central midfield.

Unread 30-01-2009, 08:49 PM
Ether

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergieslovechild
Not if heregains his form he won't.

Carrick/Hargo central midfield.
Yeah, because it worked so well last season didn't it.

Unread 30-01-2009, 08:53 PM
Sparky***

hargreaves will become more of a mainstay with carrick. scholes will be even more of a bit part player if at all and anderson is still learning.

it's obvious that a carrick/hargreaves partnership is essential for the short term future.

Unread 30-01-2009, 08:57 PM
Ether

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
it's obvious that a carrick/hargreaves partnership is essential for the short term future.
No it isn't

Baffles me how people keep coming out with this when so far the evidence shows it doesn't work as a partnership. Hardly played as a central midfield pairing last season, and when they did the results were not pretty

Unread 30-01-2009, 08:58 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
hargreaves will become more of a mainstay with carrick. scholes will be even more of a bit part player if at all and anderson is still learning.

why is it obvious.

anderson carrick is a better partnership and proved so.

Unread 30-01-2009, 08:58 PM
fergieslovechild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
Yeah, because it worked so well last season didn't it.
Carricks role in the side was 'confused' last year as he was asked to play a number of different types of role, this year I think he has developed into our best attacking midfielder (overtaking Scholes imo ) with his range of passing so should be given that role fulltime, a fit and on form Hargreaves is by far our best 'sitting/shielding' midfielder so the two played in that formation will be our best pairing....no?

Unread 30-01-2009, 09:00 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowman
why is it obvious.

don't talk so £#%&!ing stupid. anderson has not improved one bit since he came. carrick was played out of position imo for the time he spent with hargreaves. a hargreaves/carrick midfield will be the first names on the team sheet once he is fit.

Unread 30-01-2009, 09:01 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
No it isn't

Baffles me how people keep coming out with this when so far the evidence shows it doesn't work as a partnership. Hardly played as a central midfield pairing last season, and when they did the results were not pretty
Quote:
why is it obvious.

It is obvious. Carrick is fast maturing into his peak years. Hargreaves is also approaching his. They didn't play that well together last season but I think they can, given the chance. They'll need time to understand each other and bed in of course. But I think with hargreaves there, it frees carrick up to get forward more and score more goals.

Anderson is the future for the next 10 years so he has plenty of time.

Unread 30-01-2009, 09:01 PM
fergieslovechild

Quote:
why is it obvious.

On the odd occasion last year maybe, but Anderson is woe-fully off form at the moment and you can't consider him a holding midfielder better than Hargreaves.....surley.

Edit : Believe you @#%&!.

Unread 30-01-2009, 09:02 PM
Sparky***

You have to also remember that hargreaves has been playing with crippling knee problems for 2 years. This would hardly have helped his form last season.

Unread 30-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Ether

Quote:
Carricks role in the side was 'confused' last year as he was asked to play a number of different types of role, this year I think he has developed into our best attacking midfielder (overtaking Scholes imo ) with his range of passing so should be given that role fulltime, a fit and on form Hargreaves is by far our best 'sitting/shielding' midfielder so the two played in that formation will be our best pairing....no?
If you're playing Football Manager maybe. It doesn't really work like that though, in a midfield partnership the most important thing is how the pair complement each other and how they gel together. Hargreaves had his best games in the middle as part of a 3 or with Anderson imo. Carrick has arguably been at his best for us with Fletch by his side.

I would argue with the last bit as well tbh, I'm not sure he's any better than Fletch in the defensive role.

Unread 30-01-2009, 09:04 PM
believe

Quote:
On the odd occasion last year maybe, but Anderson is woe-fully off form at the moment and you can't consider him a holding midfielder better than Hargreaves.....surly.
he does...and don't call him surly

Unread 30-01-2009, 09:08 PM
fergieslovechild

Quote:
If you're playing Football Manager maybe. It doesn't really work like that though, in a midfield partnership the most important thing is how the pair complement each other and how they gel together. Hargreaves had his best games in the middle as part of a 3 or with Anderson imo. Carrick has arguably been at his best for us with Fletch by his side.

I would argue with the last bit as well tbh, I'm not sure he's any better than Fletch in the defensive role.
He's miles better than Fletch.....at everything ffs.

Because Fergie kept faith with Scholes last year (rightfully so) he then rotated/switched/tinkered with the midfield to accomodate him. This meant everybody else swopping positions and tactics to accomodate.

Given a run od games together Carrick and Hargo will dominate those positions for the next 2 to 3 years (form and fitness allowing).

Unread 30-01-2009, 09:09 PM
marlo

Quote:
On the odd occasion last year maybe, but Anderson is woe-fully off form at the moment and you can't consider him a holding midfielder better than Hargreaves.....surly.
hargreaves is such a good holding midfielder that saf hasnt played him there since his poor performances in that position.

Unread 30-01-2009, 09:11 PM
fergieslovechild

Quote:
hargreaves is such a good holding midfielder that saf hasnt played him there since his poor performances in that position.

Errrr yes he has!

Harri Jaffa

I reckon Anderson should get some games in the reserves, seems unfot or missing sharpness to me

Sparky***

Quote:

Because Fergie kept faith with Scholes last year (rightfully so) he then rotated/switched/tinkered with the midfield to accomodate him. This meant everybody else swopping positions and tactics to accomodate.

Given a run od games together Carrick and Hargo will dominate those positions for the next 2 to 3 years (form and fitness allowing).

Absolutely. It all centres around hargreaves fitness though. Last season he played 2 games then was out for a month, played 2 games out for 2 weeks, and so on...

If he and carrick can get a run of about 10 games together I think we could see a very good partnership.

Unread 30-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Ether

Quote:
Is he £#%&!.

Unread 30-01-2009, 09:15 PM
fergieslovechild

Quote:
Is he £#%&!.
Wum!
Closed Thread