United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Main > Main Forum
Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 09:11 PM
Ben

Default anybody heard anything about this protest?

http://208.111.38.218/showthread.php?t=85811

Quote:
Protest against the increase in ticket prices once more and the now compulsary automatic cup scheme.

Organised for 23rd September, before the Chelsea game. Meeting at 2pm.

Meeting point at Victoria Park, Stretford followed by a march down to Old Trafford, ending on the forecourt.

Full permission from Greater Manchester Police and Ambulances.

If you're going the game (or even if you're not) get down there and let's show Gill and co that we will not keep rolling over and keep coughing up more and more money.

This could well be big with your support, so please let's rally our troops and show them we're no muppets.

Further details to follow closer to the time.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:51 PM
Manchester

Just like the LUHG protest the other week, it will have a piss poor attendance and is pretty much pointless seeing as though that will be the case.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:55 PM
Cantona's collar

To be honest Ive lost all faith in these protests, the people who turn up for them are the ones that care about the club but unfortunately the thousands upon thousands of "couldn't give a f***"s will undermime any protest, the protesters will be seen as a minority and f*** all will be achieved.

I remember the protests a few years ago, i stood at OT metrolink station and saw more people walk past us than came to join us, i heard people saying "at least we'll be able to get a pint easy enough".
I decided that night that the vast majority of the c***s in OT deserve the f***ing Glazers and everything they bring, too many weren't prepared for the fight or simply couldn't be arsed with the fight, f*** 'em.

I have come to the conclusion that the only kind of protest that will get the message across is to cause mayhem, f*** saying "we won't stand for this shit" and then 10 minutes later going into the ground like the protest never happened, inconvenience needs to be caused for the club and for the Police.
A mass refusal to enter the stadium would be a good idea.

The Chelsea game isn't really a good game to have the protest at because most will be too concerned about the game, the Coventry game would be better as im sure most of the protesters wouldn't really care if they missed it or not.

A bit of singing and then orderly entering the stadium won't get the message across im afraid.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:24 PM
keane Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantona's collar
To be honest Ive lost all faith in these protests, the people who turn up for them are the ones that care about the club but unfortunately the thousands upon thousands of "couldn't give a f***"s will undermime any protest, the protesters will be seen as a minority and f*** all will be achieved.

I remember the protests a few years ago, i stood at OT metrolink station and saw more people walk past us than came to join us, i heard people saying "at least we'll be able to get a pint easy enough".
I decided that night that the vast majority of the c***s in OT deserve the f***ing Glazers and everything they bring, too many weren't prepared for the fight or simply couldn't be arsed with the fight, f*** 'em.

I have come to the conclusion that the only kind of protest that will get the message across is to cause mayhem, f*** saying "we won't stand for this shit" and then 10 minutes later going into the ground like the protest never happened, inconvenience needs to be caused for the club and for the Police.

The Chelsea game isn't really a good game to have the protest at because most will be too concerned about the game, the Coventry game would be better as im sure most of the protesters wouldn't really care if they missed it or not.

A bit of singing and then orderly entering the stadium won't get the message across im afraid.

Agreed

Old 04-09-2007, 11:35 PM
m14red

how about less talk/thinking, more action. why not just turn up instead of rambling on about why not to?

that's the reason 'we' will never get anything done, not blaming the day-trippers.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:06 AM
Cantona's collar

Quote:
Originally Posted by m14red
how about less talk/thinking, more action. why not just turn up instead of rambling on about why not to?

that's the reason 'we' will never get anything done, not blaming the day-trippers.
I will turn up but 5,000 voices protesting will not be heard over 71,000 voices carrying on as normal.
As for not blaming the day trippers, im not, i don't believe that OT houses 70,000+ day trippers, the vast majority of those inside OT who don't give a f*** are week in week out reds, sad to say it but its true.

The only way 5,000 voices will be heard is if those 5,000 voices make a nuisance of themselves, its no good all singing "die die Glazer" till five minutes before kick off and then running along like good customers into the ground, thats why i don't think the Chelsea game is a good time to do it as no one will be prepared to miss the game.
The Coventry cup game is ideal, protest before the game and then refuse to enter the ground and make a nuisance of ourselves on the forecourt/megastore.

Peaceful protests inconvenience no one, sometimes to get your point across you have to be a pain in the arse.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:51 AM
Toilet sniffer V

To be honest the ones who really wanted to get rid of the Glazer's have mostly dispersed now, the ones left are pissed off he's there but willing to put up with things until they either sell up or they are priced out of it.

I've not got any sympathy with those having to be in the automatic cup scheme as you've had a couple of years to do something and f***ed it off while it suited you. Now I'm forced to be an armchair fan, I just hope that the Glazer's carry on spending and buying players so I can see my local team challenging for the major honours, even if it's only on the telly and even if it's at the expense of the people who have continued to bankroll the Glazer debt.

I'm sure you'll say I'm a selfish c*** but where were you when it all first started? Did you bother boycotting? If not, that was your right but please don't come on here whingeing that what we all expected to happen is happening.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:07 AM
Lou_Macari_Chippy

It's really hard to argue with anything Cantona's collar says there, but to be honest i dont even think a protest that causes disruption will do any good - it makes no difference whether you protest then go into the game 5 mins later or cause mayhem and then go into the game the same way the following week - the stadium will still be full every week and the glazers will just carry on.

Sometimes you just have to admit defeat and imo this is one of those times.

The way i see it you have four choices -

1. Stop going completely and spend matchdays in the pub
2. Stop going and substitute your matchday experience for FCUM
3. Go to the odd game whenever a ticket floats across your path
4. Get a ST and continue going as much as possible regardless

There may be a few more variations but thats about it and you can protest all you like - it hasnt, and wont change a thing, and those options will remain.

Last edited by Lou_Macari_Chippy; 05-09-2007 at 02:25 AM.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:17 AM
King Schlong

f*** me this is sad as f***.

7 reply's to this on a united forum, yet threads like what are you having for tea tonight can get anything from 10-100

Old 05-09-2007, 02:16 PM
fix up look SHARPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantona's collar

maybe it wasn't, but i thought the protest before the arsenal game went quite well and did get our message across. it got coverage didn't it - and the press were well aware there was a number of fans who weren't happy.

something similar against chelsea (march, singing on the forecourt, flashmobbing the megastore) wouldn't be back page news, but it'd make the inside pages and the bbc website.

and things have changed since those protests. there's been a lot of media attention devoted to rising ticket prices this season and this could actually get a lot of coverage. plus even if it doesn't, it could still be another free umbrella.

having said all that, i don't think i'll be going. travelling up to manchester for the biggest game of the season and then not going in the ground would be shit. and i suspect a lot of boycotters will feel the same. but absolutely everyone going to the game should get involved, and anyone else who can.

bttt.
Closed Thread