United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 22-04-2007, 06:40 PM
Tiberian

Default Defence against Milan?

Any Ideas?

I would like to drop Heinze and Brown for being useless, but we have no alternatives and they will play. Where can we put them against this Milan team where the least damage can be done?

Brown
O'Shea
Heinze
Evra-hopefully fit

Would like to break up the horrific combination of Heinze-Brown in the center, also do not fancy O'Shea marking Kaka, Brown will be more aggressive against him and may offer more going forward than O'Shea.

Really do not know, Fergie will probably play O'Shea right back and hope that Brown and Heinze can learn how to play together. Really need Evra back, he could give us an important attacking outlet on the left.

Unread 22-04-2007, 06:41 PM
£#%&! KFC

Brown was woeful for their goal yesterday as was O'Shea

there is no point in worrying about defence just storm the @#%&!s like we did Roma

Unread 22-04-2007, 06:42 PM
Sparky***

Either way mate, any combination of the 4 players available is not going to be good enough to keep Milan out.

Unread 22-04-2007, 06:43 PM
est.1878

Its like doing a 4 piece jigsaw with 3 pieces.

Hopefully we can thrive on the best form ; attack.

Unread 22-04-2007, 06:46 PM
Terry Silver

O'Shea gives far too much time to wide players. Yesterday he cleared the ball from the corner flag, by the time it came back a matter of seconds later he was in the centre, holding hands with Rio and Wes leaving Downing with an eternity to put the ball into the box.

That said, Milan's danger will be through the middle, on the deck...which means Heinze in centre of defence and hearts-in-mouths all round.

VDS
Oshea-Brown-Heinze-Evra

Carrick-Scholes

Ron-Giggs-Rooney

Smith

I'd be happy with a draw.

Unread 22-04-2007, 06:46 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
Brown was woeful for their goal yesterday as was O'Shea

there is no point in worrying about defence just storm the @#%&!s like we did Roma
Different scenario, first leg, will be cagey, afraid of the away goal, will not be able to attack with the same confidence because of the defence we have not being capable of coping.

Fully expect Fletcher to play in midfield and one of Smith or Giggs to be dropped to give us a bit more protection.

Unread 22-04-2007, 06:50 PM
£#%&! KFC

the defence is a lottery, and no combination of who we have available is gonna make me feel comfortable

Fletcher has to play beside Carrick, I'd even bench Scholesy Ronaldo and Giggs wide with Rooney and Smith up top, Smith was poor yesterday and last Tuesday but the Italian defenders won't like playing against him

Unread 22-04-2007, 06:51 PM
TreeFiddy

I really don't know.

O'Shea Brown Heinze Evra perhaps?

Maybe Fletcher would be better at right back though.

Whoever plays, they'll need to battle really hard and give it 100% if they're to have any chance. Our forwards need to dictate the game though.

Unread 22-04-2007, 06:52 PM
jem

Default brown

was bullied from start to finish by viduka. however, milan don't play like that. I'd play o'shea and brown in the centre and drop heinze.

Unread 22-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
the defence is a lottery, and no combination of who we have available is gonna make me feel comfortable

Fletcher has to play beside Carrick, I'd even bench Scholesy Ronaldo and Giggs wide with Rooney and Smith up top, Smith was poor yesterday and last Tuesday but the Italian defenders won't like playing against him
English teams are used to playing against Alan Smiths every game, he has nothing to surprise them with. Italian teams though are not, and he could be very effective against him. Who knows, Saha might make an appearance for the Everton match.

Unread 22-04-2007, 06:55 PM
Terry Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
was bullied from start to finish by viduka. however, milan don't play like that. I'd play o'shea and brown in the centre and drop heinze.
O'Shea was caught out on the deck though a couple of times... one being the narrowly avoided penalty.

His positioning at CB was very poor yesterday.

Heinze's positioning is ok.

His lunging isn't...

Unread 22-04-2007, 06:56 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
. Who knows, Saha might make an appearance for the Everton match.
Who?

Unread 22-04-2007, 06:59 PM
TreeFiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
I was thinking about this too. Heinze has been so bad in recent weeks that I can't bear the thought of watching him again. But perhaps he'll be more suited to playing against an Italian side. I'm clutching at straws here.

Unread 22-04-2007, 07:02 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeFiddy
I was thinking about this too. Heinze has been so bad in recent weeks that I can't bear the thought of watching him again. But perhaps he'll be more suited to playing against an Italian side. I'm clutching at straws here.
Heinze up against someone with the diving ability of Inzaghi? Highly disturbing thought. Kaka will be the main threat, he plays a lot from the left, Brown is more likely to deal with him than O'Shea, but that would leave us very lakcing in pace in the middle.

Just going to need big performances form them. Wish Silvestre was available, he is a better center half than Heinze by a long way, and probably a better LB at this stage.

Unread 22-04-2007, 07:04 PM
Dr_Mongoose

Flapper
TSP Pieman Orange Midget
Ronnie TGP Caz Giggsy
SFN
Lesley

Unread 22-04-2007, 07:04 PM
TreeFiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Wish Silvestre was available
We truly do have an injury crisis.

Unread 22-04-2007, 07:06 PM
TreeFiddy

Anyone recall Flamini last season for Arsenal in Europe?

No mark, shit centre mid plays several blinders in Europe as a makeshift right back against some top sides.

Fletcher? To be fair, he's looked better than Brown and O'Shea at right back recently.

Unread 22-04-2007, 07:07 PM
borsuk

o'pie can't play in the centre. he's a liability there.

fletcher has done absolutely nothing wrong at rb and is a far better option than either brown or pie. at least he gets forward, has some pace and can cross a ball. if evra is fit then he must play lb.

vds
fletcher - brown - gabby - evra
carrick - scholes
ronnie - giggs - rooney
smith

subs
kuszczak
pie
£#%&!nose I (eagles?)
£#%&!nose II (really, £#%&!nose. park in a wheelchair? saha?)
ole

Unread 22-04-2007, 07:08 PM
Terry Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeFiddy
Anyone recall Flamini last season for Arsenal in Europe?

No mark, shit centre mid plays several blinders in Europe as a makeshift right back against some top sides.

Fletcher? To be fair, he's looked better than Brown and O'Shea at right back recently.

I recall Fletcher looking OK against the might of Watford, Sheffield United and Boro...

Unread 22-04-2007, 07:16 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Silver
I recall Fletcher looking OK against the might of Watford, Sheffield United and Boro...
A bit different to marking Kaka who starts a lot from the left.
Closed Thread