United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 19-11-2023, 03:20 PM
magic_cantona

Great keeper, massive #@&%!. Can't deny how good he was for us.

Unread 19-11-2023, 04:06 PM
Neo

Football

In terms of ability and achievements, he's probably our greatest ever goalkeeper, and one of the top 10, possibly top 5, goalkeepers to have ever played the game.

Honestly don't mind him being an arrogant unlikable #@&%!, as I think it actually made him so good on the pitch. That arrogance was essential to be a successful goalkeeper in the United sides of the 90s that he was such a dominant part of.

Represents the club well as an ambassador, too, IMO. Could have easily jumped on the City gravy train after his retirement, and they would have loved that, but the fact he's clearly a United fan is obvious to see. Massive #@&%!, yes, but what a player he was.

Love the snide thrown now and then between him and Keane, btw. Two absolutely huge characters, born winners, who clearly respected each other. That straightener they had in a Hong Kong hotel corridor with Nicky Butt refereeing must have been intense.

Absolutely zero characters like that at the club these days.

Unread 19-11-2023, 04:17 PM
tatty

A crucial part of a period of success we are unlikely to see again.

Best keeper I’ve ever seen.

Unread 19-11-2023, 04:40 PM
92ToBury

Keano knew.

Unread 19-11-2023, 06:26 PM
thatsfuctit

Always comes across as clueless as a pundit to me.
Brilliant keeper.

Unread 19-11-2023, 06:45 PM
Zorg

Rubbish gent, lovely keeper.

Unread 19-11-2023, 07:48 PM
est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
Always comes across as clueless as a pundit to me.
Thought this then was on 5live one week making loads of sense in against the grain fashion, so reevaluated

Didn't someone on here do so work at his house and he was a massive lush, allegedly.

Unread 19-11-2023, 09:10 PM
ryanMUFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder
£#%&! him honestly. Cartwheeling @#%&!.
This.

Only Cucks consider him a legend.

Unread 19-11-2023, 10:15 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878
Thread going well.

Gigantic belm.

The sporting move was a weird one. Did he think he was finished? Or was there signing fee driven. Just missed out on mega wages really didn't he
He made some uncharacteristic errors early on in our treble season (one howler that cost us what would have been a bloody excellent win at Bayern Munich comes to mind) and was extremely self-critical afterwards. Who knows, maybe his form returned that campaign once the pressure was off a bit.

I know he is a bit of a dick, and inevitably some in this thread were going to make that the main thing.

Well so also was George Best, for example. But he is still idolised by nearly all reds, and quite a few others - and rightly so.

He was still one of our all time greats who was central in our rise to the ultimate heights under SAF.

And that is what really matters. Happy birthday, you bloo @#%&!

Unread 19-11-2023, 10:19 PM
Vedder

Edwin > Bertie @#%&!

Unread 19-11-2023, 10:23 PM
Chris Quayd

Gained a bit of respect for him when I learned that his family were from Poland and got battered by Hitler and co, makes the fact that Bruce and Pallister referred to him as the German even funnier.

Met him twice, once outside Old Trafford and the other in St Tropez, he wasn’t imposing in any way and he was a rude @#%&!. Still a better keeper than Edwin.

Unread 19-11-2023, 11:47 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Gained a bit of respect for him when I learned that his family were from Poland and got battered by Hitler and co, makes the fact that Bruce and Pallister referred to him as the German even funnier.

Met him twice, once outside Old Trafford and the other in St Tropez, he wasn’t imposing in any way and he was a rude @#%&!. Still a better keeper than Edwin.
He doesn’t look the sort to go to a tanning salon.

Unread 19-11-2023, 11:57 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanMUFC
This.

Only Cucks consider him a legend.
big ry throwing shade at Neo

Unread 20-11-2023, 12:11 AM
tatty

I'd disagree with those saying Vds was a better keeper than PS.

VdS had a much better pair of CH's in front of him for me...even though Pally was a model for the new English CH...or us finally catching up with the Beckenbauer Libero model depending on how you view it.

I'm still pissed off we didn't sign Des Walker from Sampdoria in 93 to replace Bruce.

Unread 20-11-2023, 01:15 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Edwin was better

Better person maybe. Big Pete was the don.

Unread 20-11-2023, 02:26 PM
ryanMUFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch

Better person maybe. Big Pete was the don.
Can’t be bothered getting into the middle of an argument but if you watch the treble dvd (it’s on YouTube somewhere), Schmeichel looks comical… he’d still scream at his defence though.

Unread 20-11-2023, 02:41 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Schmeichel was on the wane a bit treble year tbf. At their peaks, he was better than Edwin.

Talking of keepers, put these 5 in order of appearances for United.

Van der Gouw
Timmy Howard
Roy Carroll
Sergio Romero
Thomas Kuszcack

Unread 20-11-2023, 02:46 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
Schmeichel was on the wane a bit treble year tbf. At their peaks, he was better than Edwin.

Talking of keepers, put these 5 in order of appearances for United.

Van der Gouw
Timmy Howard
Roy Carroll
Sergio Romero
Thomas Kuszcack
It'd be

Howard
Carroll
VDG
Kuszcack
Romero, no?

Unread 20-11-2023, 02:49 PM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanMUFC
Can’t be bothered getting into the middle of an argument but if you watch the treble dvd (it’s on YouTube somewhere), Schmeichel looks comical… he’d still scream at his defence though.
He was far from his best at times that season, and by his own admission, given he'd decided he needed to step down a level by the end of the campaign.

Still, he turned up when it mattered most, and came up with one of the most important saves in our history.

Unread 20-11-2023, 03:02 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
It'd be

Howard
Carroll
VDG
Kuszcack
Romero, no?
First two right
Last three upside down