United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 10-02-2007, 10:51 PM
violater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_Macari_Chippy
if he was playing for Charlton he'd probably be their star player. .

Unread 10-02-2007, 10:53 PM
Gakbu

Quote:
Fletcher shows glimpses of quality but unfortunately is never really able to sustain that quality for the full match.

Park is ok against weaker teams but he tends to follow the ball and is often out of position - play park in the champions league at your peril i would say.

Whats a bit of a shame for football is that we talk of park as a squad player when if he was playing for Charlton he'd probably be their star player. A bit sad imo that the gulf between United and most of the teams we play each week is that much.
Well spotted, those marking Park out as "gash" are missing the point that actualy he is a pretty decent footballer but stands out in a united team as not quite good enough.

Unread 10-02-2007, 11:24 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Park is ok against weaker teams but he tends to follow the ball and is often out of position - play park in the champions league at your peril i would say.

Whats a bit of a shame for football is that we talk of park as a squad player when if he was playing for Charlton he'd probably be their star player. A bit sad imo that the gulf between United and most of the teams we play each week is that much.
Sorry but that's not true LMC.

Park is a quality player. What games are you basing your assessment on? Maybe all teams outside the top four in England? Who are these weaker teams you speak of? And are you seriously saying he can't be let loose on the likes of Lille, Celtic, Porto and Liverpool in the CL?

Unread 10-02-2007, 11:25 PM
gbmufc

Yes......no...yes, yes, yes!

Unread 10-02-2007, 11:52 PM
Lou_Macari_Chippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
Sorry but that's not true LMC.

Park is a quality player. What games are you basing your assessment on? Maybe all teams outside the top four in England? Who are these weaker teams you speak of? And are you seriously saying he can't be let loose on the likes of Lille, Celtic, Porto and Liverpool in the CL?
He's great going forward, but as you know part of a wingers job is to track back and provide coverage for your right or left back. Now park does do this job for the most part, BUT, there are occasions where he's out of position due to crossing the field. I have no problem with his skills or his work ethic but it's these occasional cross field excursions he takes that concern me. I feel against a quality side that is able to target weak spots and counter quickly that he could be somewhat of a liability. He's a tough little guy and i think he could be very good with a bit of positional discipline added to his game. But i really think that to play him against AC Milan, Barcelona or even Chelsea could be costly because once teams like that find a bit of space on the wings past the halfway line they can punish you quickly. Against those quality teams i would take the experience of giggs every time.

Unread 11-02-2007, 12:02 AM
Tumescent Throb

Ah, risk you mean.

When he sees a weak spot and attempts to exploit it within the United pattern of play there is a danger of being sprung on the counter if possession is lost. Well, very true. They all do this inter-changing of positions throughout the game, though. That's what makes the team so successful as an attacking force. Personally I go home a happy man when I've seen three or four of them end up over by a touchline pinging passes and ripping the piss out of the opposition. Course as we all know Rooney is shit out wide

I'd say you're right that Park does have some issues sitting in front of his full-back, especially on throw-ins and guarding short corners. But then he's not played all that often in front of either Neville or Evra as of yet.

Unread 11-02-2007, 12:11 AM
borsuk

Default what frightens me

is that fergie doesn't seem to have learnt that resting more than one player in m/f guarantees a horrible performance.

towards the end we were one substitution away from a m/f of richardson, o'pie, fletcher and park.

words fail me.

Unread 11-02-2007, 12:14 AM
chorleyred

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
is that fergie doesn't seem to have learnt that resting more than one player in m/f guarantees a horrible performance.

towards the end we were one substitution away from a m/f of richardson, o'pie, fletcher and park.

words fail me.
it's about putting a team out good enough to get 3 points, which fergie has been crap at over the last few seasons but has got it right more often than not this year.

i'm happy with the way it's going

Unread 11-02-2007, 02:44 AM
Enjoying Insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by violater™
fletcher is a good midfielder.
I thought we left the WUMming behind on the other place.....

TSP is gash, completely gash. He'll never be a "United Player" as long as I have a hole in my arse.

As for Park, looks like a good stand in, in the Blomqvist mould.

Unread 11-02-2007, 02:48 AM
Enjoying Insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk

words fail me.
The stuff of nightmares

Unread 11-02-2007, 11:31 AM
hopkins

they have their uses against the mid-table fodder, but fergie needs to stick to that magical 11 (injury permitting) for all the crunch matches

i fear tinkering and 4-5-1 is gonna do us
Closed Thread