United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
View Poll Results: How much longer should Van Gaal get?
Get rid asap 8 10.13%
Get rid at end of the season 16 20.25%
Get rid at end of contract 37 46.84%
Extend his contract. 18 22.78%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 02-11-2015, 01:16 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
I can't stand the football.

The results aren't good enough.

We've wasted an inordinate amount of money.

The results are getting better and the defence has definitely improved. The amount of time he's taking isn't really acceptable. Worse managers have joined teams in a worse state and turned it around quicker.

With all that said we should give him until the end of next season. He isn't a Moyes and things are (very, very slowly) moving forwards. The quality of the football is the biggest concern though.
Please name the manager and team That was in a worse state, overhauled and sit a few points off top and about to qualify in the champions league please...in a quicker time..

Unread 02-11-2015, 01:17 PM
itisme_panaflex

160 million spent over the course of 3 windows to reassemble a squad.

Wasted an inordinate amount of money

are you consciously lying?

Unread 02-11-2015, 01:19 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Please name the manager and team That was in a worse state, overhauled and sit a few points off top and about to qualify in the champions league please...in a quicker time..
It's an almost unprecedented scenario isn't it? Manager of a quarter of a century leaves, replacement takes team to 7th place and most of the experienced players all leave within six months of each other. Tough to think of many jobs I could compare that to, tbh.

Unread 02-11-2015, 01:20 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Agreed, very interested in the list of sides that went from eighth (“...teams in a worse state”) to champions (“...turned it around quicker”) after a season in one of the major European leagues in recent years.

Unread 02-11-2015, 01:21 PM
S/Side.Red

Money doesn't buy you a settled side, also. Again, Sunday's team had eight players who joined in 2014 or 2015.

Unread 02-11-2015, 01:24 PM
Bunker Buster

Your move Lok......

Unread 02-11-2015, 01:25 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
It's an almost unprecedented scenario isn't it? Manager of a quarter of a century leaves, replacement takes team to 7th place and most of the experienced players all leave within six months of each other. Tough to think of many jobs I could compare that to, tbh.
And saddled with a ridiculously overpaid dud on a five and half year contract

Unread 02-11-2015, 01:36 PM
jem

how can you possibly vote to get rid of someone at a point in the future without waiting to see what happens between now and then?

we look like a disorganised rabble with no clue in the final third, dull everywhere and actually not convincing in defence or midfield either. king louis consistently picks unbalanced teams and sticks with players out of form whilst making apparently random changes. thank god for de gea. not sure bringing in a fat sam at this stage will help. he needs to sort it out. personally, I have no faith in his total football vision and it will be largely unwatchable and frustrating even if it brings results. he could certainly do with ronaldo and messi up front. still, we are where we are. and we'll be staying there for a while. hope his faith in rooney pays off.

still better than moyes, obvs.

Unread 02-11-2015, 01:39 PM
forzagarza

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
how can you possibly vote to get rid of someone at a point in the future without waiting to see what happens between now and then?
exactly. vote for getting rid now #teamjem

Unread 02-11-2015, 01:41 PM
believe

What date is the next city game?

Unread 02-11-2015, 01:42 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
What date is the next city game?
19th March.

Unread 02-11-2015, 01:58 PM
Lok

Liverpool went from 8th to 7th to 2nd with a vastly inferior manager in charge and playing exciting football.

In a year and a half Redknapp took Spurs from 11th to 4th and then on to a Champions League quarter final.

Mourinho, Mancini, Pellegrini, Ancelotti have all come in and won major silverware in their first season in charge. We're well into the second season of Van Gaal and despite what the table says we don't look close to winning anything.

Unread 02-11-2015, 02:03 PM
itisme_panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
Liverpool went from 8th to 7th to 2nd with a vastly inferior manager in charge and playing exciting football.

In a year and a half Redknapp took Spurs from 11th to 4th and then on to a Champions League quarter final.

Mourinho, Mancini, Pellegrini, Ancelotti have all come in and won major silverware in their first season in charge. We're well into the second season of Van Gaal and despite what the table says we don't look close to winning anything.
Van Gaal is building a foundation. Which is exactly what we need.

liverpool took advantage of the biggest three clubs changing managers and burnt out within a season.

Would you like to see us burn out in a season? or for mourinho to come in and leave a giant mess after 2/3 seasons?

As for redknapp going from 11th to 4th. OK. What the actual.

You seem to just hate that you have to wait for success again. Didn't sign up for this.

Unread 02-11-2015, 02:06 PM
Ethers

£#%&!ing Redknapp

Unread 02-11-2015, 02:09 PM
Tiberian

He will get his 3 years, too much invested in him to rip it up early unless results fall off a cliff.

Third is the lowest we should be finishing this season with the manner in which Chelsea have imploded.

Unread 02-11-2015, 02:17 PM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisme_panaflex
Van Gaal is building a foundation. Which is exactly what we need.

liverpool took advantage of the biggest three clubs changing managers and burnt out within a season.

Would you like to see us burn out in a season? or for mourinho to come in and leave a giant mess after 2/3 seasons?

As for redknapp going from 11th to 4th. OK. What the actual.

You seem to just hate that you have to wait for success again. Didn't sign up for this.
Redknapp's achievement at Spurs shouldn't be underestimated. They were 11th and he took them into the champions league where they had a great run. They've tried several managers since he left and none of them have been nearly as successful.

I'm not saying he's the greatest manager but he came in and had an immediate impact and far exceeded the goals set for him.

Immediate success? I'm not sure that's exactly what I'm asking for. I just want to watch football that doesn't bore me to sleep. I used to look forward to watching the match, at the moment it feels like a chore.

As I said in my original post, Van Gaal should be given the length of his contract. Unlike Moyes he has a level of experience that demands we give him a fair chance. I just hope the football improves.

Unread 02-11-2015, 02:20 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
A question for those that think he's the right man for the job, if he left at the end of the season would you be gutted?
Yes, because the last 16 months of rebuilding would have been wasted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Eric
A lot of fans will have different views on the top managers like Ancelotti, Mourhino, Pep etc and for me I don't care what anyone else thinks, these are the best around at the moment and I'd be happy with any of them.
So style of football doesn't actually matter then, because none of those three will deliver the kind of football numerous united fans are whinging about van gaal not yet delivering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
The results are getting better and the defence has definitely improved. The amount of time he's taking isn't really acceptable. Worse managers have joined teams in a worse state and turned it around quicker.
Such as?

Around 15 new players in 12 months, and turned everything around within 16 months?

What does turn around mean anyway, given he's met all the targets the board have given him so far?

Unread 02-11-2015, 02:29 PM
The Watcher

Pellegrini taking one of the most expensively assembled sides in history, with a settled core of senior players, from 2nd to 1st was very impressive tbf. Up there with Real Madrid's five European Cups in a row etc.

Unread 02-11-2015, 02:32 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
So Brendan Rodger turned Liverpool around, ok. How are he and Liverpool doing btw?

Quote:
In what way is that better than van gaal?

Seems your idea of turning things around include fluke seasons that weren't sustained and the manager ended up being sacked. Got to admit, that's not my idea of turning things around.

Had fergie turned us around when we finished 2nd in his 2nd season?

Quote:
Mourinho, Mancini, Pellegrini, Ancelotti have all come in and won major silverware in their first season in charge.
You're on a wum now aren't you. Neither of those managers are relevant to your statement, as none of them took over teams worse than the united van gaal took over.

Quote:
We're well into the second season of Van Gaal and despite what the table says we don't look close to winning anything.
Not even half way through his second season. Scandalous failure. By your reckoning fergie should have been sacked after his third season. Your ideas on what constitutes success and failure are extremely short term. Redknapp and rodgers ffs.

Unread 02-11-2015, 02:35 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
So Brendan Rodger turned Liverpool around, ok. How are he and Liverpool doing btw?

In what way is that better than van gaal?

Seems your idea of turning things around include fluke seasons that weren't sustained and the manager ended up being sacked. Got to admit, that's not my idea of turning things around.

Had fergie turned us around when we finished 2nd in his 2nd season?

You're on a wum now aren't you. Never of those managers are relevant to your statement, as none of them took over teams worse than the united van gaal took over.

Not even half way through his second season. Scandalous failure. By your reckoning fergie should have been sacked after his third season. Your ideas on what constitutes success and failure are extremely short term.
Not even a third of the way though, tbf.

Less than 50% through The Process and we've already had a cheeky stint on top of the table

And he still hasn't had a goalscorer.
Closed Thread