United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 24-04-2008, 09:49 PM
elhombre

Default Does anyone else agree with this theory....

....a 0-0 in the first leg [away] is a £#%&!ing iffy scoreline?

i mean, we drew 0-0 with barca last night, which on first appearance is not too shabby, but thinking about it, all they need to do is shut up shop for 90 minutes and nick a jammy goal and we're £#%&!ed.... my mate looked at me as if i was £#%&!ing crackers when i pointed that out, but i reckon barca will be more happy with that scoreline than us.... i can just see us conceeding from a deflected shot or 40 yard daisy cutter 80 minutes in and us crashing out.... hope i'm wrong, though...

Unread 24-04-2008, 09:52 PM
Tumescent Throb

it is iffy as £#%&!

it also means that the second leg could be even more tactical than the first

if neither team risk much to try to score, neither team can lose it til penalties

early goal, anyone?

Unread 24-04-2008, 09:54 PM
believe

all brand new points

elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
it is iffy as £#%&!

it also means that the second leg could be even more tactical than the first

if neither team risk much to try to score, neither team can lose it til penalties

early goal, anyone?

as a coach, i'd be tempted to actually play for a 0-0 in the first leg, if my team was at home first.... pressure on the opposition for the second leg...

Ed Sullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
all brand new points
Nicking my material

Unread 24-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Nero

I agree. Frankly, I just can't see past that missed penalty, I believe it'll prove decisive in the end. Score draw at OT.

Unread 24-04-2008, 09:55 PM
ap001

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhombre
....a 0-0 in the first leg [away] is a £#%&!ing iffy scoreline?

i mean, we drew 0-0 with barca last night, which on first appearance is not too shabby, but thinking about it, all they need to do is shut up shop for 90 minutes and nick a jammy goal and we're £#%&!ed.... my mate looked at me as if i was £#%&!ing crackers when i pointed that out, but i reckon barca will be more happy with that scoreline than us.... i can just see us conceeding from a deflected shot or 40 yard daisy cutter 80 minutes in and us crashing out.... hope i'm wrong, though...
FFS some people wish we had lost 1-0 or 2-1

So if we had drawn at home 0-0 would you be happy? Would you think we could go to Barca and get a score draw or a win? That is what they are facing.

It was a shite performance yesterday but we will not repeat it on Tuesday. We may not go through but we will play better and have a better chance.

Unread 24-04-2008, 09:56 PM
elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap001
FFS some people wish we had lost 1-0 or 2-1

So if we had drawn at home 0-0 would you be happy? Would you think we could go to Barca and get a score draw or a win? That is what they are facing.

It was a shite performance yesterday but we will not repeat it on Tuesday. We may not go through but we will play better and have a better chance.

i wasn't complaining about the score, rain man...

i was one of the few people who actually thought barcelona were still a handy side and that they could still win the cup... i was just saying tactically it would make sense to play for a 0-0 in barcelona's case...

Unread 24-04-2008, 09:57 PM
Grimson

Quote:
all they need to do is shut up shop for 90 minutes and nick a jammy goal and we're £#%&!ed
So all they need to do is beat us.

If they come to OT and beat us then we're not Champions of Europe material anyway, are we?

Unread 24-04-2008, 09:57 PM
wee man

funny how the nature of football changes though isn't it. Year after we won it we were well pleased with a 1st leg 0-0 against Real in Madrid. And Bosnich was in goal ffs.

Unread 24-04-2008, 09:59 PM
ap001

Quote:
i wasn't complaining about the score, rain man...

i was one of the few people who actually thought barcelona were still a handy side and that they could still win the cup... i was just saying tactically it would make sense to play for a 0-0 in barcelona's case...

We have now basically turned this game into a one legged game and we are at home. As somebody pointed out earlier today in the 7 home games this season against top opposition we have won every one. If we cant beat Barca at home we dont deserve to win it.

Either way I'd take a win over Chelski on Saturday - that the true test of a teams quality.

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:00 PM
elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap001
We have now basically turned this game into a one legged game and we are at home. As somebody pointed out earlier today in the 7 home games this season against top opposition we have won every one. If we cant beat Barca at home we dont deserve to win it.

Either way I'd take a win over Chelski on Saturday - that the true test of a teams quality.

goes without saying....

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:01 PM
originalhogg

We need to be more confident and take risks, I watched last night thinking they we're being very cautious, maybe too cautious, I'd rather take risks rather than play the way we did last night!

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:02 PM
Spiffy

It's like Groundhog Day on here. Armchair's topped himself by now, probably.

As I keep on saying, I can see Henry getting a goal. It's so £#%&!ing obvious I'd need to put money on it for it not to happen. We need to score twice, easy. Treat it as a league game and we're rocking. Treat it as a tactical European battle between two footballing heavy weights and our arses will go and we'll lose.

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:02 PM
denis lawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
So all they need to do is beat us.

If they come to OT and beat us then we're not Champions of Europe material anyway, are we?
i think what theyre saying is all Barca need to do is get a score draw

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:04 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis lawless
i think what theyre saying is all Barca need to do is get a score draw
The scenario given was them beating us 1-0.

And I'd address "all they need is a score draw" by saying, "All?!" That should be a tall £#%&!ing order for them.

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:10 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Sullivan
Nicking my material
i knew i'd heard it somewhere. did you text it to me?

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:11 PM
Wafty Crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by wee man
funny how the nature of football changes though isn't it. Year after we won it we were well pleased with a 1st leg 0-0 against Real in Madrid. And Bosnich was in goal ffs.
Speak for yourself. I remember Rotor Volgograd.

0-0 away in a first leg - £#%&!. I have already laid United for £100.

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:13 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
It's like Groundhog Day on here. Armchair's topped himself by now, probably.

As I keep on saying, I can see Henry getting a goal. It's so £#%&!ing obvious I'd need to put money on it for it not to happen. We need to score twice, easy. Treat it as a league game and we're rocking. Treat it as a tactical European battle between two footballing heavy weights and our arses will go and we'll lose.
What did you think of the tactics that got us the 7-1 win over Roma?

We could've scored a hell of a lot earlier last night than Carrick managed in the 7-1 game.

For some reason people - negative people - have the impression that the mood of a game is set in the dressing room.

But as true as that often is, a hell of a lot more often it is set by what happens on the pitch. Football is played by humans, after all.

Unread 24-04-2008, 10:15 PM
dunk

I think playing the Away leg 1st is a massive disadvantage, always have done.

You know what is required at their ground, and a game can be won in the first few minutes as a result.

If it was the 2nd leg last Wednesday following a 0-0 at OT in the 1st leg and we got a penalty in the 2nd minute, you know he scores and it;s game over.

Also, away 2nd leg, if it goes to Extra time, you have an extra 30 minutes and only have to score 1/2 as many as your opposition.

It's £#%&!ed up.
Closed Thread