United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-10-2013, 08:23 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
Losing 6-0 at Ipswich when we were pushing for the title.

Still remember battering Porto 5-2 but going out cus we couldn't stop them scoring.

A young throb may even have, in a certain light, looked as if he was shedding a tear the night Forest humiliated us 4-0 at OT as well.
Got stick about that at school for weeks afterwards

Unread 09-10-2013, 08:27 PM
barca99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomo90
£#%&!s sake, I was scouse yesterday, a blue @#%&! today. What next?
Ill let you know in a bit.

Unread 09-10-2013, 08:28 PM
signed dc

FA Cup final in 1979
Going out of Europe against Galatasaray that time (94?) made worse by living in Leeds

Unread 09-10-2013, 09:39 PM
Throw

Cheery thread, this.

Unread 09-10-2013, 09:46 PM
Michael Myers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throw
Cheery thread, this.
There's some real depressing stuff in this thread, but it's made me appreciate how fortunate I am to support United. At least we've had plenty of wonderful days; some poor bastards rarely see their team win a match, never mind win a trophy.

Unread 09-10-2013, 09:49 PM
Mr Kaboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
Losing 6-0 at Ipswich when we were pushing for the title.

Still remember battering Porto 5-2 but going out cus we couldn't stop them scoring.

A young throb may even have, in a certain light, looked as if he was shedding a tear the night Forest humiliated us 4-0 at OT as well.
Didn't Ipswich miss a couple of pens that day too ?

Unread 09-10-2013, 09:54 PM
HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon

Thumbs down

Too many to mention but the first game at Anfield after winning the league in 93. 3-0 up and absolutely ripping them a new one for the game to finish 3-3 knocked me sick for £#%&!ing weeks. Still have to turn it off if it pops up on sky.

Unread 09-10-2013, 10:00 PM
doudou

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon
Too many to mention but the first game at Anfield after winning the league in 93. 3-0 up and absolutely ripping them a new one for the game to finish 3-3 knocked me sick for £#%&!ing weeks. Still have to turn it off if it pops up on sky.
Reportedly that was a match that Grobellaar had agreed to throw, leaving him £125,000 out of pocket.

Unread 09-10-2013, 10:10 PM
Throw

Quote:
Originally Posted by doudou
Reportedly that was a match that Grobellaar had agreed to throw, leaving him £125,000 out of pocket.
Can confirm this.

Unread 09-10-2013, 10:12 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon
Good shout. I thought that was finally The Day when I'd see United utterly humiliate the vermin in the own back yard. It was 3-0 in about 20 minutes or something, I thought they could go on and get at least 3 more.

Some #@&%!head said to me afterwards, 'yeah, but it was a great advert for football'. £#%&! [SIZE="3"]off.

Unread 09-10-2013, 10:22 PM
thrush

Other than the obvious 2012 and all the suicidal thoughts that followed, two major ones stick in my mind.

Conceding two late goals at Coventry (a Darren Huckerby worldy FFS) and getting beat 3-2. We were riding the crest of a wave, coasting the league, favorites for Europe and getting plaudits from all angles. Suddenly that day, a sickening feeling came over me that it would all come crashing down - it did.

The other was Arsenal in 2007. Had the chance to 9 clear of Maureen's Chelsea and stung by two late sucker punches. Really felt we'd blown it that day. 2007 was the sweetest title win for me.

The moral of the story is losing to a last minute winner is about as bad as it gets. Say you want about City's big wins against us lately, but all them last minute winners we've had the last few years must have been gutting

Unread 09-10-2013, 10:39 PM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley's Grime
Anfield 92.

This by a mile. Home game before against Forest sucked dick also.

Unread 09-10-2013, 10:47 PM
plopborsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrush
Other than the obvious 2012 and all the suicidal thoughts that followed, two major ones stick in my mind.

Conceding two late goals at Coventry (a Darren Huckerby worldy FFS) and getting beat 3-2. We were riding the crest of a wave, coasting the league, favorites for Europe and getting plaudits from all angles. Suddenly that day, a sickening feeling came over me that it would all come crashing down - it did.

The other was Arsenal in 2007. Had the chance to 9 clear of Maureen's Chelsea and stung by two late sucker punches. Really felt we'd blown it that day. 2007 was the sweetest title win for me.

The moral of the story is losing to a last minute winner is about as bad as it gets. Say you want about City's big wins against us lately, but all them last minute winners we've had the last few years must have been gutting
but a last min winner to win the league

Unread 09-10-2013, 10:48 PM
Camel

however bad we thought it was on occasions in the past 27 years it's about to get a whole lot worse

let's all just praise eric we were there to witness the pinnacle of success for manchester united football club in the modern era

Unread 09-10-2013, 11:06 PM
Bunker Buster

Football

Barca in Rome hurt.....

Many reasons, long £#%&!ing trip, we deserved better...

United ran every bar in the city after that and hollered the subway..

We didnt turn up.

We'd been found out... The rot was in full flow..

Unread 09-10-2013, 11:19 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kaboom
Didn't Ipswich miss a couple of pens that day too ?
i remember it as them Bailey saving 3 penalties, one of them a twice taken one. so it could easily have been 8-0.

Unread 10-10-2013, 03:56 AM
Denis Irwell

first one as a kid in '64 losing a sf to WHU - nailed on to get to the cup final for the 2nd yr running vs Preston as well

following year losing sf vs @#%&!ing Leeds to a last minute, 2nd replay extra time goal that hit the back of Bremner's head and went in

losing to Partizan Belgrade in the EC sf after trouncing Benfica away 5-1 which would be the equiv of doing it to Madrid now. Underestimated them but should've won despite missing Denis. Bawled me eyes out when I went to bed.

relegation amidst getting beat by the bitters at home in last match

losing CF vs Southampton in 76

failing to beat WHU in 95 last match

possibly the biggest disappointment was Dortmund cos I just thought it was nailed on. So did the players. Would've been the first EC since 68

Porto not far behind esp the manner of the loss so late on

oddly enough, I just didn't expect us to win the title over Leeds in 92 and just felt a bit resigned to it probably because it had been so long - felt a bit numbed but not devastated.....

.....similar feelings when the berts scabbed it a couple of years back. The final whistle had gone for us and I switched over and just knew the @#%&!s would scrape it esp when QPR were all dancing on the £#%&!in touchline

On the bright side, we've had a lot more to shout about though, so how must it feel supporting anyother club? Maybe expectations just aren't there???
Closed Thread