United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 18-07-2022, 08:36 PM
ZiggyStardust

Football Full transcript of ETH’s interview with the press pack

The more I hear from him the more convinced I am that he is the man to take us back to the top

Quote:

The players and staff had Sunday off. Did you enjoy your day off?
Ten Hag: As coaches, you don’t really have much time off.

Did you see any of the golf?
I watched it but not that much.

How has the tour been so far?
Good. I think we are now three weeks on our way, two with the full squad. I think we have done well. The players respond well to the demands we have, I have. I set some standards, we introduce how we play, and I’m satisfied with that.

Players say it's been one of the toughest pre-seasons for them, in terms of running. Were they fit enough? Or did you have to address their fitness levels?
Yes – this is why we started them quite early, fitness but also I wanted to bring in a certain way of playing. It needs time. It won’t be done when we finish pre-season, but when we finish pre-season we have to be ready to get results.

What is that certain way?
We want to play proactive, attacking football where it's possible. We want to play good, but if we don’t play good we still have to win.

Will United be like any of your Ajax sides?
I don’t think so. Our team will be so much different to (Ajax's) in the last years. Of course, because it is different players, a different type of football, that is clear. There is also a direct bridge to Man United. Finally, the players always dictate how you have to play because I cannot change the identification of a player.

How do you get messages across to players?
It's quite a lot. A lot. Let’s say a package of tools you have as a coach. Of course, you have training sessions, you have meetings, collective and also individual, and they all have their own themes and topics, also goals, what you want to achieve. It is a process and finally it has to stick together. It has to be a structure in the team, a way of playing, there has to be a platform for how we can win games.

Will it take time? Is it not realistic to talk titles. Is top four a realistic target?
The first target is to win every game, that has to be our approach that belongs to Manchester United. So we will go into the season.

How big a challenge is the job?
This Manchester United project? It is a pleasure, that’s why I took it. I know it's not an easy job but that gives me some joy, it gives me energy, together with all the people around to bring in to make a united, a unified cooperation and that has to be the platform to get success.

Do you want your players to show joy and happiness when they're playing?
Yes, sure. That also brings motivation, when you have joy.

What gives you the confidence that you will succeed where other managers have failed?
I must say I have a strong belief. This is a big challenge but until now everywhere I’ve been I’ve got the maximum out of my teams, and this is the project that is the most difficult. I realise that, but I am here, so I am convinced that I can do it.

How do you assess the confidence levels of the squad? Do they need lifting?
Yes, I think so. You can see that it affects the players. Now we have to cheer them up and we have to motivate them. We are trying to bring the confidence back. That is one of the important points to get success, that you have self-belief as an individual and, of course, as a team.

How do you do that?
That is also a process and you have certain tools that you can use, and you talk about individual talks, for instance, the positive approach. But sometimes also you can be highly demanding because that is what we expect and we give them feedback and you believe they can do it. But if they don’t, why are you not acting to your standards? And that is the question I am asking to the players.

Ralf Rangnick said it would take two or three transfer windows to catch up to where City and Liverpool are. Do you agree with that?
I will not make such a statement. I want to get the maximum out of the players who are now here and I think it belongs to Manchester that you are always looking for better, that you always look for competition because that is a tool to lift a tool and the team.

The club have announced a deal for Lisandro Martinez. Will he go straight into the team or will he have to be eased in?
I think the players who are there, we have the perspective immediately to contribute and also Martinez. We bring him in to not strengthen the squad, but the team.

Why did you sign him? Do you think he will help you to play a high line?
No, I think we have good players there but I think also that we need a squad that is also good and deep. I analysed United's squad last year in the left part of the defence. He is left-footed and that is an advantage in possession and also in defending. And I think he also brings a South American spirit, control, aggressiveness. He can bring spirit to the team and in cooperation with the fans, I think it will fit really good to Manchester United and the way we play.

Can Harry Maguire play a high line and an aggressive press?
I think so. And I think we have good centre halves and Harry is one of them. He can play on the left side but he can also play on the right because he is a right-footed centre half.

Was there any debate about keeping Harry Maguire as captain or thought about putting to the players to vote?
No. I always see the captaincy as an issue that I dictate. The team building for me is an important point and I always talk about a group of leaders. The captain is a really important one and I’m happy with him.

The captain normally plays, so you must think he will be a first-choice player?
I think he is. He’s proved it in the past but he also has to prove it in the present time and in the future. He has played how many times? Sixty times for England? He is a career that is really impressive and I expect a lot from him. But there is also internal competition and that is what a club like Man United needs. You cannot win with 11 players. We need a squad, especially this season with so many games. We have the Europa League, at the weekend the Premier League and the World Cup. So we need a full squad with high-quality players, not quantity.

Harry had a difficult season. Do you hope that keeping him as captain will give him more confidence?
It can help. I will support him everywhere I can. In the end, he has to do it by himself, and he has the qualities to do it. Once again, he has shown it so often in the past.

You’ve signed three players so far and there are other players United are after like Frenkie de Jong. What are your expectations of that?
What I can tell is - I told you before - we are looking for a player who can play in the holding midfield position but it has to be the right one. There are not many in that position capable of the level we demand. When we can’t find him, we have to deal with the players in our squad now and we will develop one in that position.

If you can’t sign De Jong this summer would you prefer to wait to get him at a later date or sign someone else now? When Liverpool wanted Van Dijk, Klopp said I’m not going to get any centre-half, I’m going to wait for that player.
I will not react on a certain player. We need the right player. We have a list and we qualify as the player who has the competence to play that role. We will strike the moment the player is available.

Have you spoken to Ronaldo since you have been on tour?
The same status as last week when we spoke in Bangkok: so no change.

Cristiano hasn’t done a pre-season with you. Are you planning to start the season without him so he can catch up?
I think so but he is training. I think we all know Ronaldo, we all know, is a top professional and he will be fit, that is the last concern I have.

Can he play regularly for an Erik ten Hag team that likes to press from the front at the age of 37?
I think Cristiano is capable of doing that. In his career, he has shown everything.

He won’t slow you down?
No, I have set my demand. We want to play in a certain way. A top player can contribute and Ronaldo is an absolute top player in our squad.

It doesn't look like Ronaldo will come out on tour but will he be back in Manchester next week when the rest of the team are back?
I cannot tell you. No change in the issue.

There'e a debate that to get the best out of Ronaldo teams need to play with two up front. Would you accommodate him like that or will you not change your usual 4-3-3?
The players dictate the way you play. Especially players who score goals because they are extremely important for a team. You construct your team around them.

Do you feel there are a lot of goals in this squad, it was something they struggled with last season?
I think we have scoring players and the first two games already showed that.

Jadon Sancho and Marcus Rashford are currently out of the England squad but do you think this fresh start at United could be beneficial to you and increase their motivation?
I think so. I think every player wants to be at the World Cup and it's once in four years. The moment is not that often so the players will know that. They have to have that in their minds and they will respond to that fact.

The club have changed their transfer structure recently and you've clearly had a big say in transfers. What have you made of the relationship with John Murtough and how the club operates in the transfer market?
I think we cooperate well with John Murtough, really good communication. It's the same I think with Richard Arnold. I feel really comfortable with it.

Is it fair to say that in your interview you had strong views on the issues at the club and how you would fix them?
I think I have a clear idea about strategy. The way I want to play football but also in the way a top football club has to be structured. We talked about those ideas and we agreed on the structures and the way we play football. Now we have to implement that.

Martinez isn't the tallest centre-back, you must be confident that won't be an issue for him in English football?
I think he's not the tallest but he is quite good in the air. I feel comfortable with that. Of course, you need the right balance. He has good timing, that's one of his capabilities.

You've signed Malacia and Martinez from Holland, and Eriksen has played for Ajax. Is there a strategy behind going for players who have played in Holland?
No, I would like to sign English players. Because I think there is only one criteria and that's quality in combination with the price. And it looks like English players are quite expensive. It's a fact you cannot deny. In the end, it's about quality.

Cristiano only has one year left on his contract, how difficult will he be to accommodate him when you know if he stays this summer it might only be for one more year?
I am well informed, he also has also an option, eh?

So he could stay beyond this season?
Yes, but to be honest, of course I have signed here for three years, but in football it’s short-term as well. We have to win from the start. So I don’t look that far ahead. I have a strategy, it’s a process, it takes time, but in the end we have to make sure from the outset there is a winning team.

On Jadon, we heard in the training session you being firm with him, wanting him to run 'inside' in that particular drill, he seemed to take that well in terms of the next game, enjoying himself. What have you made of him? He came for a lot of money, showed glimpses of what he can do but perhaps didn’t hit the heights expected. What have you found of him so far?
I have nothing [but] high expectations. I look to the player and I have a certain demand. And I will tell them, if they have capabilities, but you have to invest. It is not just in terms of Jadon, it is for every player. I will tell every player what I expect of them. I have high standards because you are here, you are playing for Manchester United, then you must bring every day on the pitch. That is an expectation I have.

Are you a tea cup thrower? We say in English…
What?

Do you throw things or shout in the dressing room?
It is a tool that a coach has. Most of the time it will go in a normal behaviour way. Sometimes you have to use all the set of tools you have.

Ferguson had the hairdryer, what is yours?
I don’t need the hairdryer!

You look like you’ve already brought a bit of fear, there is authority, players know they are going to have to behave and stay in line with you?
I think one of the issues, when you want to get results, is you need a team. It is organisation, cooperation, and also you need discipline. When there is no discipline around you will not find it on the pitch as well. Such issues I’m quite severe. But I think it is on the players themselves to also be severe to each other because if they want to achieve success they have to stick together. Sometimes there is a need for correction.

Have you spoken to Sir Alex since you’ve been at the club?
Yes.

What did he say?
I had contact with him but what we spoke is private.
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...cript-24515628

Unread 18-07-2022, 09:12 PM
Pop

Pretty clear he's the boss and isn't going to take any shite from the players

I don't think there will be too many go out and enjoy yourself dressing room speeches from him.

Unread 18-07-2022, 09:35 PM
Mr_Ed

He talks a good game. Making all the right noises.

Unread 18-07-2022, 10:08 PM
armchair

We need to back up his words on the pitch.

Unread 19-07-2022, 08:53 AM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
We need to back up his words on the pitch.
Sounds like those players who don’t won’t be about for long.

Unread 19-07-2022, 08:58 AM
Ethers

I don’t need the hairdryer

Love this guy.

Unread 19-07-2022, 09:48 AM
wiganste

He seems proper switched on. Can't imagine him smiling much - I also reckon he'll get fed up with the £#%&!ers in the press this season, so we can expect a few spiky interviews

Europa League and FA Cup would be a great season - build on that

Unread 19-07-2022, 09:51 AM
atticusgrinch

He's delightfully autistic. Coupled with the goatee and chrome dome it just feels so right.

Unread 19-07-2022, 09:52 AM
wiganste

This town is only big enough for one bald manager.....

Unread 19-07-2022, 09:54 AM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
Sounds like those players who don’t won’t be about for long.
Hopefully Arnold etc. are acting on the managers wishes and the tail isn't wagging the dog anymore.

If he wants to £#%&! a player off, it needs to be done. We can't carry on undermining managers like that #@&%! Woodward.

Unread 20-07-2022, 05:50 PM
Pop

£#%&! me, the man is RUTHLESS....

Erik ten Hag has cancelled a planned visit by MUTV and his squad of players to the set of popular Australian TV soap Neighbours as his Utd side continue their pre-season tour in Melbourne. The Dutchman insisted he wanted no distractions as his side continue their Australian tour.

Could picture him furiously ranting in Dutch on the set in his Utd trackie as Mrs Mangle prepares tea & crumpets for Bruno & Fred.

Unread 20-07-2022, 05:58 PM
Sloppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop
£#%&! me, the man is RUTHLESS....

Erik ten Hag has cancelled a planned visit by MUTV and his squad of players to the set of popular Australian TV soap Neighbours as his Utd side continue their pre-season tour in Melbourne. The Dutchman insisted he wanted no distractions as his side continue their Australian tour.

Could picture him furiously ranting in Dutch on the set in his Utd trackie as Mrs Mangle prepares tea & crumpets for Bruno & Fred.
Closed Thread