United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 26-11-2009, 04:22 PM
S/Side.Red

Default Re: OFFICIAL: United v Besiktas thread (Teams, links + doom)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafabio
you did not read the full post. I read somewhere that if 3 teams are tied on same points and head to head can't resolve the matter, its GD.
Consider the situation below and tell me who qualifies?

All are on 10 points
United have better head to head with moscow
moscow have better head to head with wolfsburg ( hypothetical )
wolfsburg have better head to head with united
It doesn't work quite like that. If three teams finish level on points, they total up the number of points obtained in the group matches involving the teams in question. So, in this instance, results against Besiktas would be deducted from each side's tally. So under that system, CSKA would be back down to four points (three against Wolfsburg and one against us) while United would have seven, having beaten both Wolfsburg and CSKA once and drawn the other at home to the Russians. So they can't finish above us.

Unread 26-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
It doesn't work quite like that. If three teams finish level on points, they total up the number of points obtained in the group matches involving the teams in question. So, in this instance, results against Besiktas would be deducted from each side's tally. So under that system, CSKA would be back down to four points (three against Wolfsburg and one against us) while United would have seven, having beaten both Wolfsburg and CSKA once and drawn the other at home to the Russians. So they can't finish above us.

Yup, I just checked the Uefa site before I saw your post

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/ucl...ngs/index.html

Unread 26-11-2009, 04:55 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Tatlock
Yup, I just checked the Uefa site before I saw your post

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/ucl...ngs/index.html
Seems a fair enough way of doing it. In Portugal, they have a group phase in their version of the league cup and the teams who finish level on points are split by the average age of the squad of players that took part in the matches. So you get teams making subs late on in games with that in mind, like replacing the oldest player on the pitch with a teenager with thirty seconds left

Unread 26-11-2009, 04:57 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Seems a fair enough way of doing it. In Portugal, they have a group phase in their version of the league cup and the teams who finish level on points are split by the average age of the squad of players that took part in the matches. So you get teams making subs late on in games with that in mind, like replacing the oldest player on the pitch with a teenager with thirty seconds left
Surprised Wenger hasn't taken a job there.