United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 24-04-2016, 07:58 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
I have no interest in picking a fight (honest), and I say this in all due deference, but "if this hadn't happened, that would have been the case", or "if only that had occurred, this would have been the result" is the language of losers, because it's only losers that have to speak that way.

Everyone would have done better with more favourable conditions and circumstances; everyone.

It's much healthier to simply state we weren't good enough -if that ends up being the case re top four- and leave the 'buts' out of it.

Absolutely this.

If we'd lost yesterday, it would have been 'if that dodgy pen wasn't awarded....'. But we didn't. We won. We made it not matter. We took bad luck and stuck it right up their arse. We made that winning goal the abiding memory of the game.

Why it's 'obvious ffs' that we're better than the teams above us, I've no idea. We will finish wherever we deserve to finish because that's how it works.

Unread 24-04-2016, 07:59 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
I said it was a bizarre month, pal..
Looking at the season over all, which is what ultimately decides everything, It's not a bizarre season. In fact it's completely in keeping with the last two seasons. Where United have finished 20 odd points behind the eventual league winners.

Unread 24-04-2016, 08:02 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
It's literally the only response your daft-as-£#%&! post deserved. Every team has 38 games in which to get as high up the table as they can. Going a whole month without winning a game and scoring barely a goal a game over the course of a season isn't something you can excuse away by mitigating circumstances.
young team crashed out of CL and lost the plot for a couple of weeks. don't know why people made such a big deal out of it, like they'd never seen anything like it before.

the team has recovered while still remaining erratic. even so, 1pt more in the bag and we'd be well placed to scramble into the 3rd or 4th spot, which apparently is lvg's revised brief along with the cup... the line-up at bournemouth, including the subs, tells you that it wasn't just difficult psychologically at that time. and most of the results against the top sides tell you that we are good enough to compete at the top of this league ability-wise...

Unread 24-04-2016, 08:02 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
I have no interest in picking a fight (honest), and I say this in all due deference, but "if this hadn't happened, that would have been the case", or "if only that had occurred, this would have been the result" is the language of losers, because it's only losers that have to speak that way.

Everyone would have done better with more favourable conditions and circumstances; everyone.

It's much healthier to simply state we weren't good enough -if that ends up being the case re top four- and leave the 'buts' out of it.
Football is full of its and buts. If John Terry's studs held in the Moscow turf we'd have watched him lift the Champions League trophy.

Not sure why people resort to the cliche that everything that happens in the season is the same for everyone and it evens itself out or something. Just not the case. Overall, United have struggled to score goals, regardless of circumstance. However, in terms of results injuries have cost us plenty of points and affected the season significantly.

But again, I watch some of the great football our lads played up front yesterday and I think it'll all be worth it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
young team crashed out of CL and lost the plot for a couple of weeks. don't know why people made such a big deal out of it, like they'd never seen anything like it before.

the team has recovered while still remaining erratic. even so, 1pt more in the bag and we'd be well placed to scramble into the 3rd or 4th spot, which apparently is lvg's revised brief along with the cup... the line-up at bournemouth, including the subs, tells you that it wasn't just difficult psychologically at that time. and most of the results against the top sides tell you that we are good enough to compete at the top of this league ability-wise...
It's not actually that revised. At the start of the season he said top 3 was the aim and next season 1st is the target.

It was generous given it was his second season tbf. Not sure the club expected the football to be so blunt, though.

Unread 24-04-2016, 08:09 PM
Sparky***

Quote:

You don't understand why people would make a big deal out of a team who cost a quarter of a billion to put together but won about 10 games in 30 from October to February? Really? And not just any team, Manchester United?

Throb, the next time you're down in Camden do us all a favour and jump in the lock.

I guarantee you all the excuses being trotted out by Throb and S/Side will miraculously be "void" if Jose takes over in the summer.

Then and only then will they start demanding better.

Unread 24-04-2016, 08:15 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Football is full of its and buts. If John Terry's studs held in the Moscow turf we'd have watched him lift the Champions League trophy.
Actually I maintain that isn't true - and I have watched it several times

Unread 24-04-2016, 08:16 PM
utd99

Quote:

Not sure why people resort to the cliche that everything that happens in the season is the same for everyone and it evens itself out or something. Just not the case. Overall, United have struggled to score goals, regardless of circumstance. However, in terms of results injuries have cost us plenty of points and affected the season significantly.

But again, I watch some of the great football our lads played up front yesterday and I think it'll all be worth it
If I'm being honest, part of me thinks there's a chance van Gaal could build a really good team here in two or three more years, but that's not the case. He doesn't want two or three more years, he has one year left and that absolutely has to factor into the equation. I am 100% against creating a lame duck manager scenario, and quite frankly it would be beyond belief it we allowed it to happen.

That said, the caveat is that his activity in the transfer market has been horrible -I read somewhere he is looking to offload Depay already-, and that's not a strong characteristic for the man in charge of a team that's rebuilding.

Unread 24-04-2016, 08:17 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
i would not have seen that to this day

Unread 24-04-2016, 08:20 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
If I'm being honest, part of me thinks there's a chance van Gaal could build a really good team here in two or three more years, but that's not the case. He doesn't want two or three more years, he has one year left and that absolutely has to factor into the equation. I am 100% against creating a lame duck manager scenario, and quite frankly it would be beyond belief it we allowed it to happen.

That said, the caveat is that his activity in the transfer market has been horrible -I read somewhere he is looking to offload Depay already-, and that's not a strong characteristic for the man in charge of a team that's rebuilding.
Tbf he could always sign a rolling contract this summer, like Fergie did. Would make much more sense imo. Then take it from there.

Tbf as many mistakes as Mourinho makes in the market, I think it's the sign of a strong manager to move players on early if they know they don't fit. Mourinho seems to make that decision very early: Salah, Filipe Luis, Cuadradro - not my kinda guy so they start making moves to sell them within months. Sign of a manager who knows exactly what he wants.

Memphis is a strange one, as he knew the lad. Overall, better scouting is important. Plenty of suggestion Van Gaal has had to identify everyone himself, which is ridiculous. Though if Hummels goes to City and we get a free run at Stones, as well as Sanches, I back that whoever is in charge

Unread 24-04-2016, 08:25 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
You don't understand why people would make a big deal out of a team who cost a quarter of a billion to put together but won about 10 games in 30 from October to February? Really? And not just any team, Manchester United?

Throb, the next time you're down in Camden do us all a favour and jump in the lock.

I guarantee you all the excuses being trotted out by Throb and S/Side will miraculously be "void" if Jose takes over in the summer.

if jose takes over i'll get into his summing of guardiola from the start and hope he hasn't lost his touch

i've made zero excuses for van gaal. you just struggle to accept that he's taking longer than everyone - including himself - hoped.

you've extended the period in question as well - i was talking about 3 or 4 matches. if you go back to 95/96 you see that around the same period we won 2 in 10 matches. the difference then was that we had schmeichel, denis, bruce, keane and eric to hold it together in the 2nd half of the season. this season the equivalent has been de gea who never says boo to a goose, smalling who makes more big £#%&! ups than anyone else in the side, carrick who's missed half the season, and rooney who is just back after missing 2 months...

Unread 24-04-2016, 08:26 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
i would not have seen that to this day
Fair point. I was already on my feet and ready to walk straight out the door iirc.

Quote:

I'll always back a top manager at United in terms of his decision making. Mourinho is a sage, so plenty of benefit of doubt there, too.

I think it's far more likely you'll want Jose replaced within six months tbh

Unread 24-04-2016, 08:28 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:

if depay has asked for away, or if his behaviour has made it inevitable, then getting shot would be the right thing to do and certainly not a sign of poor management.

however, signing him for £30m in the 1st place can definitely be questioned.

Unread 24-04-2016, 08:32 PM
utd99

Quote:
if depay has asked for away, or if his behaviour has made it inevitable, then getting shot would be the right thing to do and certainly not a sign of poor management.

however, signing him for £30m in the 1st place can definitely be questioned.
And actually having managed him.

Unread 24-04-2016, 08:33 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
And actually having managed him.
van gaal doesn't babysit the £#%&!ing #@&%! though does he

Unread 24-04-2016, 08:35 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
if jose takes over i'll get into his summing of guardiola from the start and hope he hasn't lost his touch

i've made zero excuses for van gaal. you just struggle to accept that he's taking longer than everyone - including himself - hoped.

you've extended the period in question as well - i was talking about 3 or 4 matches. if you go back to 95/96 you see that around the same period we won 2 in 10 matches. the difference then was that we had schmeichel, denis, bruce, keane and eric to hold it together in the 2nd half of the season. this season the equivalent has been de gea who never says boo to a goose, smalling who makes more big £#%&! ups than anyone else in the side, carrick who's missed half the season, and rooney who is just back after missing 2 months...
Gotta say, that effort yesterday was phenomenal. Absolute nothing ball to deal with

I try to like the lad as he does have plenty to offer and it's a nice story. But give me a proper footballer/defender please.

Unread 24-04-2016, 08:36 PM
utd99

I think not hiring Mourinho right now, and letting things remain as is for next season is exponetially more risky than doing the deal. So long as he has assured the board he concurs with our policy on youth that is.

Unread 24-04-2016, 08:42 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
I think not hiring Mourinho right now, and letting things remain as is for next season is exponetially more risky than doing the deal. So long as he has assured the board he concurs with our policy on youth that is.
I reckon getting Mou in, with Mendes' mate as the Sporting Director as rumoured, would carry many of its own risks.

Maybe we'll do what Madrid did and build Mendes an office at the training ground

The club constantly tearing down their plans after six months is a worrying sign. Think sanity may prevail this summer tbh.

Unread 24-04-2016, 08:43 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Gotta say, that effort yesterday was phenomenal. Absolute nothing ball to deal with

I try to like the lad as he does have plenty to offer and it's a nice story. But give me a proper footballer/defender please.
tbf that wrong foot clearance has worked ok for him this season and you can get a good shape on it if you catch it right. £#%&!ing odd technique for a supposed PL footballer to have to rely on though

Unread 24-04-2016, 08:54 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Tbf he could always sign a rolling contract this summer, like Fergie did. Would make much more sense imo. Then take it from there.

Tbf as many mistakes as Mourinho makes in the market, I think it's the sign of a strong manager to move players on early if they know they don't fit. Mourinho seems to make that decision very early: Salah, Filipe Luis, Cuadradro - not my kinda guy so they start making moves to sell them within months. Sign of a manager who knows exactly what he wants.

Memphis is a strange one, as he knew the lad. Overall, better scouting is important. Plenty of suggestion Van Gaal has had to identify everyone himself, which is ridiculous. Though if Hummels goes to City and we get a free run at Stones, as well as Sanches, I back that whoever is in charge
Could you blame Van Gaal insisting on sighting the players himself, when our usual policy of "sod it just leave it to Mendes" brought us Falcao and Di @#%&!ing Marķa?

Unread 24-04-2016, 09:08 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
We win all our games, City beat Arsenal and we come 4th.
if we win all our games, city v arsenal will be irrelevant (and we'll probably come third).

we could easily win all our games. we could easily lose all our games.

the fact that we are even in this position after the way we've played this season is some kind of miracle (or indictment of the premiership, if you prefer).
Closed Thread