United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 24-04-2016, 05:54 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
United won't win all their games. Starting with next weekend against Leicester
They can probably afford to lose that one now, certainly the case if Spurs don't take all three points tomorrow night

Unread 24-04-2016, 06:09 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
They can probably afford to lose that one now, certainly the case if Spurs don't take all three points tomorrow night
I think Spurs will win all their remaining games, and if that proves correct then Leicester need something from OT, or they will go to Stamford Bridge on the last day of the season needing to win.

Unread 24-04-2016, 06:28 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
of course we are ffs, we've beaten them both in the last few weeks as well... we £#%&!ed up december on a downer after crashing out of the CL and getting 100 injuries at the same time. if not for that we'd be ahead of the pair of them most likely...
Of course we are ? Like it's really obvious. OK pal. I'll just point to the table.

It doesn't matter that we beat them. Norwich beat us. They're not better than us.

Injuries schminjuries. We've dropped plenty of points with a fitter squad too. People point to a shit December like it just happened to us. We lost games. That's on us. Any team can point to a bad spell in the season and say 'if only....'. I'm sure City and arsenal regret dropping stupid points too.

Table doesn't lie and all that.

Unread 24-04-2016, 06:35 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
Of course we are ? Like it's really obvious. OK pal. I'll just point to the table.

It doesn't matter that we beat them. Norwich beat us. They're not better than us.

Injuries schminjuries. We've dropped plenty of points with a fitter squad too. People point to a shit December like it just happened to us. We lost games. That's on us. Any team can point to a bad spell in the season and say 'if only....'. I'm sure City and arsenal regret dropping stupid points too.

Ultimately you are either good enough or you're not. Mitigating factors do not count as some kind of credit against not being good enough to get the job done.

Unread 24-04-2016, 06:37 PM
innit

We will beat Leicester.

Unread 24-04-2016, 06:37 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by innit
We will beat Leicester.
Don't count your chickens.

Unread 24-04-2016, 06:38 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by innit
We will beat Leicester.
Hey, don't go counting any chickens pal...

Unread 24-04-2016, 06:40 PM
innit

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Don't count your chickens.

Cluck off.

Unread 24-04-2016, 06:43 PM
S/Side.Red

Don't really think we can catch Arsenal but it's important to keep them close. It's not good if they go away to City with a 4-point cushion to 5th place, knowing they can lose and just beat Villa on the final day to secure top four.

Good that Southampton appear motivated, also. Makes City's trip there next week between their CL ties more tricky.

United have recovered well since December, tbh. Of course we've dropped points since then, as has everyone, but many ruled us out of top four ages ago. Suggests that without an unprecedented injury crisis we'd probably be looking at securing CL rather than nicking it.

Unread 24-04-2016, 06:49 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Don't really think we can catch Arsenal but it's important to keep them close. It's not good if they go away to City with a 4-point cushion to 5th place, knowing they can lose and just beat Villa on the final day to secure top four.

Good that Southampton appear motivated, also. Makes City's trip there next week between their CL ties more tricky.

United have recovered well since December, tbh. Of course we've dropped points since then, as has everyone, but many ruled us out of top four ages ago. Suggests that without an unprecedented injury crisis we'd probably be looking at securing CL rather than nicking it.
I think we've improved, yes, but there's still lot of errors in this side. Our game management is very poor and we live every game on the edge. We 'control' games and then let them slip away. Our current flaws will result in the occasional balls up. And we can't afford any.

Unread 24-04-2016, 06:55 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
I think Spurs will win all their remaining games
I'm convinced they will "surprisingly" drop points somewhere, maybe as soon as tomorrow night. And my hunches on these things have been pretty good recently

Unread 24-04-2016, 06:55 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
I think we've improved, yes, but there's still lot of errors in this side. Our game management is very poor and we live every game on the edge. We 'control' games and then let them slip away. Our current flaws will result in the occasional balls up. And we can't afford any.
Indeed. I think it's been the main issue along with firepower all season: lack of leadership. Even yesterday (not sure what the consensus was on here) we played great first half but after their equaliser went to pieces for a while.

Big players make everyone else dig in, though. It's surprsing how often defenders defend better and everyone gets that extra yard when you've got big players who inspire the side. Bring me Pogba and a worldy forward

Unread 24-04-2016, 07:08 PM
Child of Darkness

Really don't know why he follows Utd . He'd be much happier following someone really shit he have a genuine reason to moan about .

Unread 24-04-2016, 07:19 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:

why are you arguing with yourself?

according to you we aren't good enough to beat norwich but just because they beat us doesn't mean they're better than us

we're on a 4 game winning streak pal, and 6 wins in 7...

Quote:
Indeed. I think it's been the main issue along with firepower all season: lack of leadership. Even yesterday (not sure what the consensus was on here) we played great first half but after their equaliser went to pieces for a while.

Big players make everyone else dig in, though. It's surprsing how often defenders defend better and everyone gets that extra yard when you've got big players who inspire the side. Bring me Pogba and a worldy forward
i still think it's physical conditioning.

but van gaal is definitely aware of the concentration issue that that leads to. the thing with the penalty and then immediate FK was that mensah's head went a bit and he had to be quickly taken out of it. i don't think he can go much further than an hour atm tbh.

Unread 24-04-2016, 07:36 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
that's an interesting attempt at sarcasm.

It's literally the only response your daft-as-£#%&! post deserved. Every team has 38 games in which to get as high up the table as they can. Going a whole month without winning a game and scoring barely a goal a game over the course of a season isn't something you can excuse away by mitigating circumstances.

Unread 24-04-2016, 07:45 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
It's literally the only response your daft-as-£#%&! post deserved. Every team has 38 games in which to get as high up the table as they can. Going a whole month without winning a game and scoring barely a goal a game over the course of a season isn't something you can excuse away by mitigating circumstances.
Our results in the month from 28th Nov to 28th Dec jump out of our fixture list. It was a bizarre month, and given that it coincided with us losing half the squad to injuries it's hardly a fanciful claim to suggest the mitigation had a huge effect.

The low goals count is a different story. That's clearly been a consistent issue.

Injuries have played a significant role in results, though. With just a normal injury situation, I think we'd be several points better off.

Unread 24-04-2016, 07:48 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:

why are you arguing with yourself?

according to you we aren't good enough to beat norwich but just because they beat us doesn't mean they're better than us

we're on a 4 game winning streak pal, and 6 wins in 7...

i still think it's physical conditioning.

but van gaal is definitely aware of the concentration issue that that leads to. the thing with the penalty and then immediate FK was that mensah's head went a bit and he had to be quickly taken out of it. i don't think he can go much further than an hour atm tbh.
What are you blathering on about?? YOUR justification for us being better than arsenal and city is that we beat them, not mine.

I used Norwich as example of someone not being better than someone simply because they beat them

Keep posting your cuckoo smilies and believing we're better than the teams above us, if you like

I can just point to the table.

Away with you now.

Unread 24-04-2016, 07:51 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Our results in the month from 28th Nov to 28th Dec jump out of our fixture list. It was a bizarre month, and given that it coincided with us losing half the squad to injuries it's hardly a fanciful claim to suggest the mitigation had a huge effect.

The low goals count is a different story. That's clearly been a consistent issue. Injuries have played a significant role in results, though.
Bizarre? In the last 2 seasons before this one United have finished with 64 points and 70 points. This season they'll finish with roughly the same amount.

How is that bizarre? They're doing exactly what they've done for the last 3 years which is not challenge for a title because they're nowhere near good enough.

It doesn't matter if they lost games all in one month or over the course of 3-4 months. The fact is, yet again, the same as the last 2 seasons they've lost 9+ games again.

You refuse to see United for what they are which is an inconsistent, mediocre side plodding around 5/6th - instead you see them as "temporarily inconvenienced champions".

Unread 24-04-2016, 07:54 PM
utd99

I have no interest in picking a fight (honest), and I say this in all due deference, but "if this hadn't happened, that would have been the case", or "if only that had occurred, this would have been the result" is the language of losers, because it's only losers that have to speak that way.

Everyone would have done better with more favourable conditions and circumstances; everyone.

It's much healthier to simply state we weren't good enough -if that ends up being the case re top four- and leave the 'buts' out of it.

Unread 24-04-2016, 07:57 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Bizarre? In the last 2 seasons before this one United have finished with 64 points and 70 points. This season they'll finish with roughly the same amount.

How is that bizarre? They're doing exactly what they've done for the last 3 years which is not challenge for a title because they're nowhere near good enough.

It doesn't matter if they lost games all in one month or over the course of 3-4 months. The fact is, yet again, the same as the last 2 seasons they've lost 9+ games again.

You refuse to see United for what they are which is an inconsistent, mediocre side plodding around 5/6th - instead you see them as "temporarily inconvenienced champions".
I said it was a bizarre month, pal.

Which looking at the fixture list backs up.

Quote:
W
W
D
L
W
W
W
L
W
D
D
W
W
D
D
L
L
L
D
D
W
D
W
L
W
D
L
W
W
L
W
W
L
W
W
I've long accepted that we're inconsistent. Why wouldn't we be with a squad thrown together in 18 months and kids up front.

But I'm also not pretending that injuries didn't wreck us midway through the season.
Closed Thread