United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 17-11-2010, 10:55 AM
Ginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
And he'd had injuries. And I very much doubt Real Madrid would have sold to us at the same price. And there were wages to consider as well.

But apart from that...
madrid needed to sell, they wouldnt care if they sold him to us as we're not rivals with them. and if we can afford to pay john o £#%&!ing shea 80k a week im sure we could have accomadated VDV

Unread 17-11-2010, 10:56 AM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginners
he cost the same as bebe ffs. exactly the sort of player we needed and a good age still. proper bizarre we werent interested. no resale value i guess?
More than likely, what with us being a selling club these days.

How much did we even pay for Bebe? At the time his club said we paid the buyout clause (just over £7 million), but a couple of months later one of the broadsheets was reporting it was under £5 million, with something like 30% of the fee going to Mendes. Yesterdays quarterly conference call said the ‘vast majority’ of the £8million spend that appeared on the accounts was for Bebe? All this for a bloke who can barely play ffs.

Unread 17-11-2010, 10:57 AM
PaulParkers

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Surprised the concept of sending on a big defender to play up front late on and chasing a game has come as a tactical revelation to some of the youngsters.
Good point.

Unread 17-11-2010, 11:00 AM
Ginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
More than likely, what with us being a selling club these days.

How much did we even pay for Bebe? At the time his club said we paid the buyout clause (just over £7 million), but a couple of months later one of the broadsheets was reporting it was under £5 million, with something like 30% of the fee going to Mendes. Yesterdays quarterly conference call said the ‘vast majority’ of the £8million spend that appeared on the accounts was for Bebe? All this for a bloke who can barely play ffs.
tbf hes probably not going to be at his peak for a few years, so im not going to slag him off for being incredibly shit atm. however its still madness we spent more on him than a proven world class international who can play the same sort of role.

Unread 17-11-2010, 11:00 AM
dunk

Quote:
And he'd had injuries. And I very much doubt Real Madrid would have sold to us at the same price. And there were wages to consider as well.

But apart from that...
Wasn't he supposed to join Bayern Munich for £18m only for it to fall through just days before Real panicked and sold him on the cheap to spurs? And wasn't he only offered to Spurs as they were a CL club in one of the countries of VDV's preference and were no threat to Madrid?

Madrid would've wanted £18-20m if we'd been after him. Same will happen with Benzema, someone will eventually get him for a respectable figure and it won't be us.

Unread 17-11-2010, 11:03 AM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginners
tbf hes probably not going to be at his peak for a few years, so im not going to slag him off for being incredibly shit atm.

Unread 17-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Wasn't he supposed to join Bayern Munich for £18m only for it to fall through just days before Real panicked and sold him on the cheap to spurs? And wasn't he only offered to Spurs as they were a CL club in one of the countries of VDV's preference and were no threat to Madrid?

Madrid would've wanted £18-20m if we'd been after him. Same will happen with Benzema, someone will eventually get him for a respectable figure and it won't be us.
That was disputed by Madrid (the fee) & by Bayern so I suspect it was just 'arry giving the big un in the red tops.

Unread 17-11-2010, 11:20 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
That was disputed by Madrid (the fee) & by Bayern so I suspect it was just 'arry giving the big un in the red tops.
Which? What Spurs paid or what Bayern were going to pay?

Unread 17-11-2010, 11:21 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Which? What Spurs paid or what Bayern were going to pay?
What Bayern were "going" to pay.

Unread 17-11-2010, 11:27 AM
Zorg

Quote:
edit: ignore.

Unread 17-11-2010, 11:30 AM
dunk

Quote:
What Bayern were "going" to pay.
I'm sure that Bayern would refuse to admit they were close to paying £10m more for the player, just as Real would refuse to admit to dropping the price £10m in 24 hours.

Having said that, 'Arry is a lying @#%&!.

Unread 17-11-2010, 11:51 AM
Baron

Quote:
I'm sure that Bayern would refuse to admit they were close to paying £10m more for the player, just as Real would refuse to admit to dropping the price £10m in 24 hours.

Having said that, 'Arry is a lying @#%&!.
Quotes from VDV himself...

Quote:
"I would have moved to Bayern München, but they weren't interested,"

Unread 17-11-2010, 11:52 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
You've got dunk on the ropes here, how can he, how will he fire back?

Unread 17-11-2010, 11:55 AM
dunk

Thumbs up

Quote:
So 'Arry is a lying @#%&! then.

Works for me.

Unread 17-11-2010, 02:30 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
wonder what saf and phelans tactics are.

especially when sending on a central defender to play upfront away @ villa park.
you might want to change that marls. you know, find an example to take the piss out of which didn't bring us back from 2 down with 10 minutes to go.

just a thought.

Unread 17-11-2010, 02:36 PM
Sloppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete's Shoes
Have Spurs not beaten any of the so called big 4 for 60-odd games or something like that? Sounds a decent CV for England boss
Closed Thread