United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Love United, Hate Glazer

Unread 05-02-2010, 08:31 AM
waynes ear's

Default bobby charlton in todays m.e.n

no mention of the glazers

Wonder what his thoughts are and if anyones even tried asking him? I may be mistaken, but has he ever said anything about them?

Unread 05-02-2010, 10:05 AM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
imo fergie deserves much more criticism in this regard because (a) he has shown he will take a stand on principle (look at his stubbornness vs the mangiers, for example), however wrong-headed and (b) his opposition would have made the takeover much less feasible for the glazers.
He could have killed it stone dead in an instant...and he £#%&!ing knows it.

Unread 05-02-2010, 10:10 AM
Arnold Muhren

Sir Bobby apologised to The Glazers for the protests when they first pitched up at Old Trafford. Shameful. Great player, you know the rest.

Unread 05-02-2010, 12:07 PM
LaPaz

He makes his living out of the club so don't expect him to try & derail the gravey grain.

Unread 05-02-2010, 12:28 PM
Tumescent Throb

Yeah Bobby Charlton is only in United for the money

make a banner

take it tomorrow

Unread 06-02-2010, 01:06 AM
My Name is Keith

I don't think anyone is suggesting that. But it's worth pointing out that a few key figures at the club had the opportunity to speak out about their concerns over the takeover and they didn't take it.

Put it this way, they were either momentarily blind or complicit and I think we have to presume that they were complicit. I can understand why they were but it doesn't mean they did the right thing because imo, they didn't.

Fergie, Gill, Charlton et al.

Fergie especially.

I can't believe for one minute that Fergie thinks landing the club with interest payments of £48m per annum is a good thing. No one in their right mind would. And like has been said above, he was the one man that could have stopped it. Probably.

So their judgement should be called into question.

Unread 06-02-2010, 09:09 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
I don't think anyone is suggesting that. But it's worth pointing out that a few key figures at the club had the opportunity to speak out about their concerns over the takeover and they didn't take it.

Put it this way, they were either momentarily blind or complicit and I think we have to presume that they were complicit. I can understand why they were but it doesn't mean they did the right thing because imo, they didn't.

Fergie especially.

I can't believe for one minute that Fergie thinks landing the club with interest payments of £48m per annum is a good thing. No one in their right mind would. And like has been said above, he was the one man that could have stopped it. Probably.

i agree with you mnik, but i think you overstate fergie's ability to stop the deal. at the time his position was a lot less strong than it is today - three consecutive titles, a cl, a cl final etc have made a difference, given the inability of much of our support to remember much more than three years. at the time of the takeover there were plenty of the opinion (yet again) that fergie should move upstairs and that his best years were behind him. i think it would have been harder for the gimps to push it all through, but they could have found a big name replacement if necessary.

i'm not suggesting fergie didn't let us down, just saying that i don't think he could have stopped the takeover.

Unread 06-02-2010, 10:37 AM
red @rmy

Quote:

Fergie especially.

Arise sir Ole of Solksjaer. True United legend.

Unread 06-02-2010, 12:15 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
Yeah Bobby Charlton is only in United for the money

make a banner

take it tomorrow
no one's said that though ffs, have they ? :shakehead:

Unread 06-02-2010, 06:41 PM
wonky no

i don't remember any player coming out publicly and damning the takeover.

Unread 08-02-2010, 09:44 AM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
i agree with you mnik, but i think you overstate fergie's ability to stop the deal. at the time his position was a lot less strong than it is today - three consecutive titles, a cl, a cl final etc have made a difference, given the inability of much of our support to remember much more than three years. at the time of the takeover there were plenty of the opinion (yet again) that fergie should move upstairs and that his best years were behind him. i think it would have been harder for the gimps to push it all through, but they could have found a big name replacement if necessary.

i'm not suggesting fergie didn't let us down, just saying that i don't think he could have stopped the takeover.
We agree. Not sure he could have stopped it - a point I made at the time - but his opinion is the one that would have had the most gravitas and we'll never know where it could have led. It would undoubtedly have inspired further protest - something he perhaps was understandably concerned about.

But his benign silence and acceptance of a takeover that he must have been concerned about; something that must have gone against those shop steward Govan values he seems to remember whenever it's convenient to do so, will in my eye, always be a blemish on his character.

Unread 08-02-2010, 10:54 AM
Zorg

Quote:
We agree.