United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 18-11-2010, 03:30 PM
dunk

Default Re: Fergie in Doha

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
They could bring other though, specifically the level of interference. I'd be concerned about whether they'd be capable of taking a back seat on football matters in the way most yank owners do.

The memeber of the Qatari royal family that took over Malaga in the summer is certainly making his presence felt.
That would be an issue, particularly with that kind of ownership, and is probably why I would rather they didn't take over either. Which is the lesser of the 2 evils though. Debt and the threat of being uncompetitive financially, or meddling owners?

Unread 18-11-2010, 03:34 PM
borsuk

Quote:
They could bring other though, specifically the level of interference. I'd be concerned about whether they'd be capable of taking a back seat on football matters in the way most yank owners do.

The memeber of the Qatari royal family that took over Malaga in the summer is certainly making his presence felt.
but malaga are just above the relegation zone with 1 win and 5 defeats in 6 home games this year. it's hardly a comparable situation.

Unread 18-11-2010, 03:48 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
but malaga are just above the relegation zone with 1 win and 5 defeats in 6 home games this year. it's hardly a comparable situation.
Which is about where they were last year. He took charge in the summer, got rid of the current coach, hired an expensive big name in Jesualdo Ferreira with a view to starting a long-term plan, allowed him to bring in his own staff, then sacked him after nine matches. In the meantime, he forced the signing of Quincy Owusu-Abeyie from a Qatari club and started cancelling the club's commercial partnerships with gambling companies etc. Maybe they'd take things easy while Fergie's still here, but I'd fear a Real Madrid style trigger-finger philosophy the moment he leaves.

Unread 18-11-2010, 04:17 PM
The Watcher

Thumbs down Re: Fergie in Doha

We’ve pissed away well over £500 million for the privilege of the Glazer’s benevolent ownership since 2005, not to mention unprecedented ticket price rises that have all but wiped out the ‘demand’ that once existed to watch United forcing thousands for whom the club is a birthright to be forced out. I can’t imagine things getting much worse than they are at the moment

Unread 18-11-2010, 04:29 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Which is about where they were last year. He took charge in the summer, got rid of the current coach, hired an expensive big name in Jesualdo Ferreira with a view to starting a long-term plan, allowed him to bring in his own staff, then sacked him after nine matches. In the meantime, he forced the signing of Quincy Owusu-Abeyie from a Qatari club and started cancelling the club's commercial partnerships with gambling companies etc. Maybe they'd take things easy while Fergie's still here, but I'd fear a Real Madrid style trigger-finger philosophy the moment he leaves.
oh, don't get me wrong, the last thing i want is hands-on owners reinventing the club. but malaga came up, finished 8th and then dropped to 17th, which is when the events above happened. not really comparable.

thing is, i'm not sure united is an attractive target for this kind of thing. you buy it and get headlines short-term, but where do you go? 'united still winning loads of stuff' is not really what they're looking for - for a vanity purchase buying a nothing club and turning football upside down is far more suitable.

Unread 18-11-2010, 05:47 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
I didn't say it was fact that it was going to happen, just that it was a fact that it could happen.

Just as I didn't say we are going to do a Leeds, just that it is possible we could do a Leeds.

Also, it is a fact that the presence of these possibilities is the main reason United want shut of the Glazers and the debt.

Bit simple really, aren't you Throb.
oh my mistake, i thought you said it was a fact that we aren't in a position to rebuild adequately once scholes giggs and fergie depart

Quote:
The precarious position the clubs finances remain in, the fact that one bad season could leave us in freefall and the fact that we aren't in a position, financially, to re-build adequately once Fergie, Scholes and Giggs depart. Spending big for 1 window, or 2, may keep us competitive at the top level in the short term, but the financial restrictions on the club *will cripple it from the inside and the lower levels.
oh hang on, you did

i was right on the other bits too, of course*

Unread 18-11-2010, 05:50 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
oh my mistake, i thought you said it was a fact that we aren't in a position to rebuild adequately once scholes giggs and fergie depart
Well, we're not in the ideal position to. Are we?

Unread 18-11-2010, 05:51 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Well, we're not in the ideal position to. Are we?
i can't speak for everyone, but i'm certainly not

Unread 18-11-2010, 06:36 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb

oh hang on, you did

i was right on the other bits too, of course*
We aren't. It's a fact. We can borrow money to do it, yes, but we aren't financially independent and capable of replacing those 3. We are relying on replacing the players either for free through the youth system or on the cheap transfer wise. £#%&! knows how they plan to replace ferguson, but regardless of how they do it, the debt or further debt will remain, so United can not afford to replace them. If the debt weren't there, given the revenues, they would be able to replace all 3 and remain debt free.

You're just being a dick as usual. And you were wrong on the other bits too.

Unread 18-11-2010, 11:44 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
We aren't. It's a fact. We can borrow money to do it, yes, but we aren't financially independent and capable of replacing those 3. We are relying on replacing the players either for free through the youth system or on the cheap transfer wise. £#%&! knows how they plan to replace ferguson, but regardless of how they do it, the debt or further debt will remain, so United can not afford to replace them. If the debt weren't there, given the revenues, they would be able to replace all 3 and remain debt free.

You're just being a dick as usual. And you were wrong on the other bits too.
what a crock of shit

Unread 18-11-2010, 11:52 PM
£#%&! KFC

Thumbs up Re: Fergie in Doha

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
i'm just hoping they're not offering him a half share in a camel

Unread 19-11-2010, 12:21 AM
Liu Jian

Quote:
Either way, the point is that we, as United fans, don't want the Qatari's (or any rich benefactor) so that we, as a club, can start playing Football Manager with the cheats turned on*. We just want a little peace of mind, financial stability and the knowledge that we can compete to ensure the evil @#%&!s (City) continue to exist in our shadow only.

*with the exception of Liu and Safingtons
You're right, anyone who demands more than bargain-basement signings like Diouf and Obertan want their head seeing to.

It's all about the yoof.
Closed Thread