United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 27-12-2017, 01:07 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
You can acknowledge the tangible progress while doubting the long term and the methods.

This is the most successful and best United side since Fergie left.....but it still isn't good enough, it's not very enjoyable to watch and I don't trust where it'll end up.
I agree.

Unread 27-12-2017, 01:07 AM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Mourinho has spent more than all but City and PSG in the last 2 summers hasn’t he?

Can’t possibly be expected to do anything beyond scratch out victories
You don't even need to spend a lot to TRY and play good stuff. A lot comes down to the message you put to players. The confidence and freedom you give them.

Half our players looked shackled. Mkihitaryan looked terrified today. He knows hes one bad pass away from disappearing for six matches. Not encouraged to keep coming back if he gives the ball away. Fellaini is battering ram and gets games and praise for doing that very job.

Both need to do their job, but it shows you what our manager prioritizes.

Pogba, Rashford, martial and mkjitaryan v
Salah, coutinho, sane and firmino.

Not much in it in term of talent, but the difference in confidence, energy and understanding between them is massive. They play with freedom.

Unread 27-12-2017, 01:10 AM
Whalefish

In terms of signings, the only thing I can say in Jose's defence is he did what was asked of him last season (get the club back into the CL). Did that and then asked for 4 signings. He got three, that's your lot and (IMO) club fed him/us a load of shite re Perisic. Multiple bids, Inter wouldn't budge etc., Inter then came out in September and stated only one bid ever made.

You sign a striker like Lukaku he needs service from out wide, good service. Don't think this is something the club has that at the minute. As much as I like players like Martial & Rashford you swap either of them with Perisic and the type of threat he brings I think it improves United a lot. Mind you same could be said of a similar sort of player from the right.

Pep on the other hand, got everything he asked for in the Summer with no questions. In terms of context too he did inherit a squad that already had very good players, players who are now (still are) key. He'll continue to get that (see who he signs next month) and so will the next guy who takes the job.

dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangared
decent self analysis there Dunk
you’re a mess lad. Go to bed.

Kangared

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
It’s about belief. Mourinho clearly doesn’t believe enough in his players to go toe to toe in big games, maybe with some justification. Guardiola believes enough in his approach that he sacrificed a year and a ton of money to identify those who could not adapt, ship them out and replace them and start again. Mourinho is win above all. Guardiola is approach above all. I think they’ve both admitted pretty much that.
Also inheriting the likes of Aguerro, De Bruyne & Silva helps. Thenprevious City manager played a similar style without the pressing. Jose's predecessor played as opposite a style as there is to Mourinhos. The transition took longer

As I have said , I don't always like the way we play or the decisions he makes, but what other option did the club realistically have once they missed out on Klopp & Pep went to City ? I could understand the negativity & whining if we were going backwards like we were under LVG , £#%&!, I'd even join in !

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
you’re a mess lad. Go to bed.
its morning here, you're the thick @#%&! who needs to go to bed

Unread 27-12-2017, 01:11 AM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
It’s about belief. Mourinho clearly doesn’t believe enough in his players to go toe to toe in big games, maybe with some justification. Guardiola believes enough in his approach that he sacrificed a year and a ton of money to identify those who could not adapt, ship them out and replace them and start again. Mourinho is win above all. Guardiola is approach above all. I think they’ve both admitted pretty much that.
United still have too much deadwood in the squad but this is where I don't have much sympathy with Jose or the Club. He's had long enough to spot the shite, they should have been moved on.

Unread 27-12-2017, 01:11 AM
dunk

Quote:
You don't even need to spend a lot to TRY and play good stuff. A lot comes down to the message you put to players. The confidence and freedom you give them.

Half our players looked shackled. Mkihitaryan looked terrified today. He knows hes one bad pass away from disappearing for six matches. Not encouraged to keep coming back if he gives the ball away. Fellaini is battering ram and gets games and praise for doing that very job.

Both need to do their job, but it shows you what our manager prioritizes.

Pogba, Rashford, martial and mkjitaryan v
Salah, coutinho, sane and firmino.

Not much in it in term of talent, but the difference in confidence, energy and understanding between them is massive. They play with freedom.
Coaching, (or lack of) instructions and belief, plain and simple. Our manager is a coward, you need to have a modicum of bravery to let your players attack.

Quote:
Also inheriting the likes of Aguerro, De Bruyne & Silva helps. Thenprevious City manager played a similar style without the pressing. Jose's predecessor played as opposite a style as there is to Mourinhos. The transition took longer

As I have said , I don't always like the way we play or the decisions he makes, but what other option did the club realistically have once they missed out on Klopp & Pep went to City ? I could understand the negativity & whining if we were going backwards like we were under LVG , £#%&!, I'd even join in !

You shouldn’t have got up. You’re an actual mess. for you.

More excuses and apologies for Mourinho there absolute £#%&!ing mess.

Unread 27-12-2017, 01:13 AM
armchair

His chelsea side wasn't this disorganised or anti-football. It's almost like he's set up a football side out of spite

Unread 27-12-2017, 01:14 AM
Clownbones

Quote:
Unlike Pep Jose hasn't had the luxury of bringing in 13 players & unlike Pep he didn't inherit players like De bruyne, Silva, Aguerro & fernandinho. His style is to dominate weaker teams & play on the counter against stronger teams, he likes pace & power over technical & football prowess but does like to have a top quality number 10 [ which he hoped MickyT would be, as did a lot of us]

As I told the other guy, vent on the owners & Ed, not Jose who is doing the job asked of him
Pep seems like a manager who very mucj needs resources, but that doesn't distract from that fact he has a very distinct style. You know exactly what he is going to try and get his teams to do when he arrives.

He's spent and will spend more than anyone else. We can't change that. He didn't spend any on Lukaku though. He doesn't choose to have that kind of striker. He would have sold Marouanne Fellaini. They have no place in a pep team.

He barely plays Aguero. £#%&!ing Aguero!

I don't want a manager who prioritises power over the technical side.

And the owners are shitbags too.

Unread 27-12-2017, 01:17 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
His chelsea side wasn't this disorganised or anti-football. It's almost like he's set up a football side out of spite
We look like Arnold Muhren’s pudding.

That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
In terms of signings, the only thing I can say in Jose's defence is he did what was asked of him last season (get the club back into the CL). Did that and then asked for 4 signings. He got three, that's your lot and (IMO) club fed him/us a load of shite re Perisic. Multiple bids, Inter wouldn't budge etc., Inter then came out in September and stated only one bid ever made.

You sign a striker like Lukaku he needs service from out wide, good service. Don't think this is something the club has that at the minute. As much as I like players like Martial & Rashford you swap either of them with Perisic and the type of threat he brings I think it improves United a lot. Mind you same could be said of a similar sort of player from the right.

Pep on the other hand, got everything he asked for in the Summer with no questions. He'll continue to get that (see who he signs next month) and so will the next guy who takes the job.
He never. They wanted another full back and never got one in, the main one was injured five minutes into the season too.

Sadly Mourinho is just looking for an excuse. The drop in results have been coming, peformances haven’t been good enough for sometime now.

Ethers

The argument about spending is absolutely bizarre tbh. Of the 6 players he’s paid a fee for, not one has been under £30m. That’s some serious £#%&!ing money as far as I’m concerned.

Unread 27-12-2017, 01:20 AM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
The argument about spending is absolutely bizarre tbh. Of the 6 players he’s paid a fee for, not one has been under £30m. That’s some serious f***ing money as far as I’m concerned.
Given the way the market is now I don't see that changing much either. Even that kid from the French league looks set to cost someone over thirty million. Same goes for the lad at Anderlecht, the one United were linked to last Summer.

Unread 27-12-2017, 01:21 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
The argument about spending is absolutely bizarre tbh. Of the 6 players he’s paid a fee for, not one has been under £30m. That’s some serious £#%&!ing money as far as I’m concerned.
Gylfi Sigurdsson costs £50m in today's market. You have to spend over 30m if you want even semi-decent players now.

Hard to believe United didn't even spend over 30m on a player until 2014.

Unread 27-12-2017, 01:21 AM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
The argument about spending is absolutely bizarre tbh. Of the 6 players he’s paid a fee for, not one has been under £30m. That’s some serious f***ing money as far as I’m concerned.
Club are right to want to ship a few off before giving him more. That should have been the case last summer.

I don’t trust him in the transfer market either.

What is the game plan under him? He’s been a top manager but he’s showing signs of being left behind at the moment. The different in workrate compared to the other teams miles behind.

Unread 27-12-2017, 01:22 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Gylfi Sigurdsson costs £50m in today's market. You have to spend over 30m if you want even semi-decent players now.

Fergie had to out spend everyone to compete and play decent football though...

Unread 27-12-2017, 01:23 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

Weren’t Rio and Veron close to that? We were spending best part of 30 when everyone else’s record was mid teens tbf.

Unread 27-12-2017, 01:24 AM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Wasn’t Berba £30m too?

Again it’s all excuses. Costs nothing to setup a team with a positive mindset and decent workrate.

He spent £30m on Lindelof FFS who had a few good games and dropped for some reason.

Clownbones

Quote:

They had the option of not abandoning an apparent ideal for a pragmatic winner.

Moyes - continuity
Lvg - a style revolution
Jose - make us win again

Three completely different managers, each new appointment a reaction to the last.

At least with giggs as assistant, we held the idea that he might take over. We abandoned that.....after winning the fa cup. Apparently that and finishing 5th was just unbearable and we couldn't even see out the final year.

And then we don't eben hire someone similar to carry it on. Just the polar opposite.

And now we wonder why the squad is an unbalanced mess with no idea how to play. A mishmash of fergie, Moyes, lvg and Jose players.

We should have had the £#%&!ing balls to see out LVGs last season, or taken the plunge on Pochettino or Giggs.

We should have planned the hiring of the the greatest manager of all time's replacement on more than just 'he's Scottish aswell'. We should have been on to Pep after the 2011 final.....if you do ever leave , mate, you know where to go....

But it's ok. We're 4 points better off than last year.

Anyway, I'm going to bed. Good talk. Now £#%&! off.

Kangared

Quote:
Pep seems like a manager who very mucj needs resources, but that doesn't distract from that fact he has a very distinct style. You know exactly what he is going to try and get his teams to do when he arrives.

He's spent and will spend more than anyone else. We can't change that. He didn't spend any on Lukaku though. He doesn't choose to have that kind of striker. He would have sold Marouanne Fellaini. They have no place in a pep team.

He barely plays Aguero. £#%&!ing Aguero!

I don't want a manager who prioritises power over the technical side.

And the owners are shitbags too.
Pep did sign Bravo & Nolito however . He had the luxury of signing 13 players to add to the list I gave you. I didnt add Sterling because I think Pep has improved him .
We didn't get Pep, that not Mourinho's fault. To expect or ask him to change would be suicidal . Why bring a manager in who has won so much & ask him to change what he did to win it . Jose inherited a very poor squad & it is a bigger job that most think to sort it out . Right now the only players Jose inherited who I believe would challenge for a starting spot at City would be De Gea & Martial & even De Gea wouldn't suit Guardiola's style but he is top quality.