United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-04-2007, 08:09 AM
forzagarza

Legally he's worth very little. He's not a piece of meat- he's a human being and should be allowed to ply his trade wherever he wants without the constraints of illegal transfer fees.

Unread 12-04-2007, 08:27 AM
Billy Baroo

has anyone said eleventy million billion yet?

he's the bestest

Unread 12-04-2007, 08:29 AM
Whalefish

He's worth whatever Madrid pay for him in the Summer.

Unread 12-04-2007, 08:31 AM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
He's worth whatever Madrid pay for him in the Summer.
£54 million it is

Unread 12-04-2007, 10:04 AM
Qwertyuiop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
The Glazers would take 40 +. Definitely.

Anyone denying that is deluded.
How did you gain access to this piece of information?

Unread 12-04-2007, 10:07 AM
helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
We make no more money irrespective of how many shirts we sell. As for raising proifile, it's raising money that they want to do, that's what they bought us for and I don't need to climb inside their heads to see that.
Correct, but will they be able to 'raise more money' when it comes to renegotiating the fixed price shirt contract with Ronaldo shifting hundreds of thousands of them, or Ralphy Milne shifting a couple of dozen?

Unread 12-04-2007, 10:43 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertyuiop
How did you gain access to this piece of information?
Well, we're in huge debt and that is just to good money to turn down. They'd buy 1-2 players and pocket the rest.

Unread 12-04-2007, 10:49 AM
Qwertyuiop

Quote:
Well, we're in huge debt and that is just to good money to turn down. They'd buy 1-2 players and pocket the rest.
I must be deluded then.

Unread 12-04-2007, 10:54 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertyuiop
I must be deluded then.
Yeah you are, IMO, of course. I don't think you're thick or a @#%&! for it, but people's hearts will rule their heads. In a dream world we keep Ronaldo, so people will deny we will sell and even will resort to calling me a @#%&! for saying it to comfort themselves.

It's like the transfer funds, we don't have hardly any, made a new profit last season on transfers, but people will refuse to believe we are not signing Torres because they really want these stars so will deny it and resort to insults.

Unread 12-04-2007, 10:55 AM
Ed Sullivan

Quote:
Yeah you are, IMO, of course. I don't think you're thick or a @#%&! for it, but people's hearts will rule their heads. In a dream world we keep Ronaldo, so people will deny we will sell and even will resort to calling me a @#%&! for saying it to comfort themselves.

It's like the transfer funds, we don't have hardly any, made a new profit last season on transfers, but people will refuse to believe we are not signing Torres because they really want these stars so will deny it and resort to insults.
you @#%&!.

Unread 12-04-2007, 10:56 AM
Ed Sullivan

on a serious note - get used to it lads.

This is starting now and will carry on the whole summer. He's the most talked about player in the world. Personally I don't think he will leave, but it's ridiculous to think he won't do so at any price.

Unread 12-04-2007, 11:53 AM
celtbion

Image rights etc come into it.

I'd say £70m.

I dunno is a Ronaldo transfer in the short term very realistic. He's signed on for another three years is it? The club will earn more just letting him run down his contract than selling him now.

What would worry me is that neither Real nor Barcelona have the money required to buy Ronaldo at his true market value and what will happen instead is that rather than simply waiting (when do these @#%&!s ever have that patience) they'll start now a little campaign to unsettle Ronaldo at Utd. Even if its unsuccessful, it will be disturbing for our camp.

In our favour is that Ronaldo can earn more money in the Premiership than anywhere else and this year's semi lineup highlights that there has been a power shift towards the Premiership that is only going to grow over the next few years.

Consider that Arsenal are, very arguably, a better side than Milan and you'd be forgiven for wondering if England is currently host to 4 of the best 5 or 6 sides in European football.

And Utd are top of that tree right now.

A more realistic risk, for me, is that Chelsea will come in with a major bid in the summer. Kenyon could probably justify the expenditure given the commercial value of Ronaldo and Abramovich would enjoy the idea of taking Utd's main star off them.

I'm hopeful that Ronaldo is really enjoying his football at Utd as much as it seems and that we take the appropriate steps to keep him here. Maybe he's looking for £150,000 a week or whatever.

To be honest, the possibility of inflating the wage bill aside, he's worth that kind of money.

This guy will be marketing gold dust worldwide for the next five or six years and beyond. Sorry to say, these days, it's more than just a players merits as a footballer that come into the equation.

Unread 12-04-2007, 12:44 PM
celtbion

Notes on the above.

No player is priceless. I've always advocated Juventus' approach to this (cf Zidane to Real). If another club really wants to spend silly money on a player where you can strengthen the team overall with the proceeds, you sell the player. You don't get up on your high horse (cf Bayern) just because you don't like the principle of being seen as a "selling" club.

We've lost a lot of money for the sake of pride over the last 10 years I reckon.

Second, this criticism of sending youngsters out on loan is odd. Financially, we'd be as well off putting Brown and Heinze out on loan as the whole lot of them so why not do that if that was the primary goal?

Nope, the kids are out on loan to get tested in first team football. If they're not good enough (and like it or not, Jones, McShane etc aren't), they're moved on. I thought it was interesting that Ferguson said all of Pique, Evans, Simpson would be coming back in that regard. He must feel they've done enough on loan to warrant a place in his squad for next year. Even allowing for our small squad, that has to mean a few high profile departures.

The Glazers will be laughing anyway. Shifting on Heinze for £7m+ and maybe £60k a week in wages and replacing him with Evans for nothing and prob less than a third of that in wages? That's going to be replicated with the likes of Pique, Rossi, Simpson, Foster, maybe even Gibson and Campbell. I think Fletcher did enough against Roma to suggest that his medium term future at Utd is secure so that's a good chunk of our squad starting next year that'll be costing us nothing in transfer fees and will lead to an overall cut in the wage bill.

Even without selling a Ronaldo, I'm half expecting a minimal net transfer spend this summer. The involvement of the likes of Heinze, O'Shea, Brown, Fletcher and Smith in that demolition job during the week probably means we'd get a good price for all of them in the summer and be able to replace them with better quality kids. The transfer market is that stupid.

Unread 12-04-2007, 02:14 PM
rubbernecker

If at the end of the season Utd can pick up a trophy or two then I'd say he's been the difference between winning them trophies and not.

To me that is his value.That and the joy I have watching him play.

Now if I had a snout in the trough as most in football seem to have I'd be looking at this question in a totally different light . I'm sure the Glazers. his agent,Sky and the spanish football presidential candidates et al have a different view.They like to quantify these things and reduce everything to money and anything to do with money has to be quantified to assist in the obscene pursuit of even more

As Oscar would have paraphrased if he had still been alive

The Glazers and the football money machine "knows the price of everything and the value of nothing"

Therein lies the difference between fans and corporate greed

Unread 12-04-2007, 02:20 PM
you_are_my_solskjaer

Quote:
The Glazers would take 40 +. Definitely.

Anyone denying that is deluded.
i honestly think the glazers would take 20+ ... heres hoping its all tabloid bullshit

Unread 12-04-2007, 02:23 PM
Zorg

I have entered the sums into my calculator and can reveal that Ronaldo is worth £62,543,502.61p.

Unread 12-04-2007, 02:34 PM
forzagarza

Quote:
Originally Posted by violater
these slef appointed experts
Sierra Leone End Flags?

Unread 12-04-2007, 02:35 PM
MUFC One Love

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzagarza
Sierra Leone End Flags?

Unread 12-04-2007, 03:01 PM
silv

hes only just started to be labelled a potential worlds best.

plus hes a good looking chap like Beckham

So his world wide image rights/profile is/are going to expand expotentially.

He might be in a world of his own and his value should reflect that.

So, 500 million.

Unread 12-04-2007, 04:43 PM
Grimson

I think you have very different ideas of 'debt' in England. The Glazers may very well sell Ronaldo, if the offer is simply too good to refuse. But it won't be primarily to 'pay off the debt.' Big businesses don't pay off debt, they manage it, and it becomes just another operational cost, like payroll.

To wit, if indeed he goes for 54m, the Glazers won't simply use that money to pay down the debt. They may use some of it for that, but not all, and probably not even very much.
Closed Thread