United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 11-04-2007, 10:18 PM
MUFC One Love

It's nailed on he will join us, and he is an immense signing, he is a Manchester United player. Everyone throwing all these fancy names about who we should sign, Hargreaves is proven at the top level, he's done it in Europe and Internationally, look at Carrick, sure, a bit pricey, but we got the right man, Hargreaves is the same, he'll be pricey but the right man, it's cost us more than bringing in foreigners but Hargreaves and Carrick finally complete our midfield, of a top European standard.

Unread 11-04-2007, 10:21 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
It's nailed on he will join us, and he is an immense signing, he is a Manchester United player. Everyone throwing all these fancy names about who we should sign, Hargreaves is proven at the top level, he's done it in Europe and Internationally, look at Carrick, sure, a bit pricey, but we got the right man, Hargreaves is the same, he'll be pricey but the right man, it's cost us more than bringing in foreigners but Hargreaves and Carrick finally complete our midfield, of a top European standard.
Catch his performance tonight?

Unread 11-04-2007, 10:24 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Catch his performance tonight?
No I must say I only briefly seen the second half. Are you implying he was bad? If so one bad night hardly allows us to judge, his heart isn't even in it there.

He's a top tackler, works very hard, good engine, good passer, is experienced and covers the defence well. He's just what we need, he would settle fine at United to, we're the perfect club for him. He'll cost a lot but I'm not bothered, as I wasn't with Carrick. Don't expect to see a foreign midfielder brought in, I suspect Fergie is reluctant now after a few dud buys and waited for the right men, i.e Carrick and probably Hargreaves.

Unread 11-04-2007, 10:27 PM
jem's kind streak

Default let's be honest

if hargreaves comes for £17mio, it's hard to see how we could afford him, never mind anyone else.

leaving aside the crippling debt and associated risks, hargreaves for £17mio would be good value and a welcome addition when you consider how much a player like barton would cost us and that the alternative is more fletch.

now get out and buy polanski, barbosa, gama and diaby.

if defoe comes to united, I will never forgive fergie. um... again.

Unread 11-04-2007, 10:37 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
No I must say I only briefly seen the second half. Are you implying he was bad? If so one bad night hardly allows us to judge, his heart isn't even in it there.

He's a top tackler, works very hard, good engine, good passer, is experienced and covers the defence well. He's just what we need, he would settle fine at United to, we're the perfect club for him. He'll cost a lot but I'm not bothered, as I wasn't with Carrick. Don't expect to see a foreign midfielder brought in, I suspect Fergie is reluctant now after a few dud buys and waited for the right men, i.e Carrick and probably Hargreaves.
Gave the ball away a lot, particularly in the second half.

Do you really see United signing Hargreaves for 17m, then getting a forward and another creative midfielder/wide player on top of that? I don't, which is why the Hargreaves pursuit worries me. He's not that important - he won't even be an automatic first choice.

Unread 11-04-2007, 10:38 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Gave the ball away a lot, particularly in the second half.

Do you really see United signing Hargreaves for 17m, then getting a forward and another creative midfielder/wide player on top of that? I don't, which is why the Hargreaves pursuit worries me. He's not that important - he won't even be an automatic first choice.
I think we'll sign him and a striker.

And I disagree, he is vital, despite how well we have done this season we've lacked a midfielder like him for certain games, i.e, Arsenal away. He'll complete our midfield.

Unread 11-04-2007, 10:45 PM
Tiberian

Hargreaves was average tonight, but then the whole Bayern team were shocking, no creativity, pace or ideas. Surprised me hoe poor they were.

As for Gattuso, works his balls off, but useless on the ball, He would not suit the way Utd play.

Unread 11-04-2007, 10:45 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
I think we'll sign him and a striker.

And I disagree, he is vital, despite how well we have done this season we've lacked a midfielder like him for certain games, i.e, Arsenal away. He'll complete our midfield.
So you'd go into Arsenal away with five across the midfield? I thought people were tired of Rooney out wide. Or you'd drop Scholes, or Carrick? Twelve men? Where does he fit in? Surely you have to know exactly where someone fits in to pay that kind of money.

What United have needed in those games is someone to bring on with twenty minutes to go to close the game up and win the ball. This type of player shouldn't cost 17m.

Unread 11-04-2007, 10:49 PM
chorleyred

doesn't he move into his last year with bayern at the end of the season?

£17m for what will be a freebie in jan. would be crazy

tell him the plans, he will only go to united etc, tell em it's 5 to 7 mill or £#%&! all in a few months

if they wanted big money they had the chance to sell earlier

Unread 11-04-2007, 10:50 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
So you'd go into Arsenal away with five across the midfield? I thought people were tired of Rooney out wide. Or you'd drop Scholes, or Carrick? Twelve men? Where does he fit in? Surely you have to know exactly where someone fits in to pay that kind of money.

What United have needed in those games is someone to bring on with twenty minutes to go to close the game up and win the ball. This type of player shouldn't cost 17m.
Scholes is a liability defensively against the better sides, who can keep the ball and make us run. He does not have the mobility/stamina/pace to be effective when we do not have the ball. This is only going to become more obvious as he gets older.

Nothing wrong with having genuine options. Hargreaves also would be a great option at right back.

Unread 11-04-2007, 11:08 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:

It's an option. Bringing a top midfielder on wouldn't have done us any harm, or simply adjusting the formation. We played 4-5-1 the other night but we had intent and went at them and demolished them.

Unread 12-04-2007, 12:51 AM
Lazarus

If we want a young English striker I'd prefer Bent to Defoe. Mind you....I really like the idea of Smith and Rooney as a partnership.I think they...ahem...keep defenders on their toes.

Unread 12-04-2007, 03:25 AM
ScarFace

Sell Saha at all costs, i've had enough of his glass blones now, time to die or leave.

Unread 12-04-2007, 07:55 AM
antonin jablonsky

I think this forum's just gonna have to get over this Hargreaves business as no matter if you want it or not, it's gonna happen. We've been chasing him for 12 months now, he wants to play for us, Fergie loves him and now Bayern are seemingly willing to sell. In the end it's about what deal we can get, perhaps it won't all be up front or structured similarly to the Carrick deal. Also, none of us actually know what finances are available solet's not pretend we do eh.

As to what we NEED, that'd be a midfielder an a striker. A wide player, maybe a young one with potential, would be good but could wait a year.

Unread 12-04-2007, 08:52 AM
The Return of JC

He may have had a bad game last night, but that doesn't mean anything. He's still quality.

He'll eventually replace Scholes, or rather Carrick will replace Scholes with Hargreaves playing further back.

They can even change. Both are comfortable going backwards or forwards.

As outstanding as Scholesy has been at times this year, there have undoubtedly been occasions where his lack of mobility and discipline have cost us. He's suited to certain games, but not high tempo games where the opposition pack the midfield with energetic players.
He certainly still has a lot more to offer, but Hargreaves is a statement that we're looking long term at the most important area of the pitch.

For me, the next situation that needs resolving is another left winger, closely followed by a new striker.
Right back will need addressing within the next couple of years, but isn't a priority over the aforementioned areas.

Honestly, once Hargeaves settles in ala Carrick, we won't care about the fee and it'll look a snip.

I'd rather we invested in who we really want than compromise.

It takes time to rebuild a side. Your replacing players like Keane, Giggs, Scholes and Neville. That takes time. Not just a summer. I'd rather we took our time and invested than panic buy.
Time is running out for a few of them, but that doesn't mean we have to rush. They all have two or three season left in them. Neville probably more.

If we get Harg then I think we'll have finally sorted the central midfield problem that has plagued us since Keano began to slow down.

Patience my friends.
Closed Thread