United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 27-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Mr_Ed

Football So... 8 points behind the vermin with a game in hand

At home to Fulham.

5 points behind Chelsea, 4 points behind Arsenal (still with that game in hand)...

We can't afford to drop too many more points boys and girls. I'm sure we'll be there or thereabouts at the end of the season but we're making life hard for ourselves.

Unread 27-10-2008, 10:20 AM
Gruber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
At home to Fulham.

5 points behind Chelsea, 4 points behind Arsenal (still with that game in hand)...

We can't afford to drop too many more points boys and girls. I'm sure we'll be there or thereabouts at the end of the season but we're making life hard for ourselves.
For the Dippers, see Arsenal 2007/08

We need to stay in touch with Chelsea.

Unread 27-10-2008, 10:22 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

It's Hull I'm worried about.

Unread 27-10-2008, 10:25 AM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruber
For the Dippers, see Arsenal 2007/08

We need to stay in touch with Chelsea.
I worry a little that their chances get written off a bit too easily on this forum.

Now I will be as happy as the next man if/when they do fail but they've beaten (admittedly a very poor) us, gone to Chelsea and won and have recently come back from 2-0 down and 2-1 to win both games 3-2 (admittedly against Citeh and Wiggun)... However this breeds confidence.

We have to stop going 1-0 up and conceding goals to draw/lose matches (Chelsea, Red Vermin, Blue Vermin)... It's not the United way.

Unread 27-10-2008, 10:30 AM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Must go on a run now until December i feel in which we cannot afford to drop stupid points like we already have done so.

Liverpool have Spurs next weekend and i fancy them to get a point at Arsenal Wednesday so here's hoping they can get a result for us next week.

Unread 27-10-2008, 10:41 AM
Gruber

Quote:
I worry a little that their chances get written off a bit too easily on this forum.
We do tend to write them off that's true. And yes they have gotten off to a very good start and had wins over us (shit performance as you say) and an impressive enough win at Chelsea.

My feelings are the longer they stay in it, the higher the expectations will be from their fans. The longer they go, the more and more they will be reminded how long it's been and how much they have to deliver (especially as we're only 1 behind)

I think they will be in till late March early April... but the weight of expectation will be a heavy load.. especially when they are needing last minute winners and equalisers when the pressure is on.

They haven't been in a premier league race for a long time. A true one to the death. They don't know what its like to have Arsenal, Chelsea and us breathing down their necks. Add to that champions league games and the tinkering with the side which that fat @#%&! can't help but do.

We may not win it this year, it was always going to be tough for us. But it will be us or Chelsea, that I'm sure of.

Unread 27-10-2008, 10:55 AM
The Return of JC

[quote=That Boy Ronaldo!;1217521]Must go on a run now until DecemberQUOTE]

Does that mean that the trips to Emirates, Council House and Villa Park are all must wins?

Yes, Saturday was sloppy and the giving away of leads is very unlike us, but I really can't remember the last time the fixtures were so difficult in the 1st half of the season.

Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, City, Villa, Everton, Blackburn, Portsmouth, Spurs all away from home before the New Year. What a nightmare!

From the moment those fixtures were released, I thought that we wouldn't be top for the remainder of 2008 and I stick by that. As long as we're in pretty much the same position come January, we will be in very good shape.

Chelsea had a similar situation last year. They played the other 'big three' away from home in the first half of the season. They only got 1 point and were 6 off the pace in January, but because they'd got them out of the way, they were able to get their heads down and wait for their turn at their place.

Arsenal are above us, but who have they played? Where did their dropped points come? Theirs came in games they're expected to win.

A huge level of expectancy will accompany Liverpool's win. In a way, I'm glad they did win. It certainly makes things interesting and jammed a spanner in Chelsea's works (I have serious doubts over Scolari: Out-thought against Liverpool, us and even Spurs ffs). We'll see what Liverpool are made of now and how they handle being top.

Unread 27-10-2008, 11:16 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Gruber, can you change your Avatar to this?

Unread 27-10-2008, 11:19 AM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
Wouldn't it be just like them to win at Chelsea and then huff and puff to a goaless draw at home on Wednesday night?
Bit like their home draw with Stoke after winning the World Cup/European Cup/ Grand National/Wimbledon/The Open against us? I hope so.

They were very lucky when they got to play us. If they'd had us even two weeks later, we'd have battered them. £#%&!ing hell, I wish we were playing them on Wednesday. Nothing winds me up more then #@&%!y scouse @#%&!s

Unread 27-10-2008, 11:21 AM
The Watcher

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruber
Wouldn't it be so £#%&!ing satisfying to do to them what we did to Chelsea last season (and they beat us at their place)

It would be £#%&!ing nervy though, I would hate to lose anything to that set of @#%&!s
As much as I'd love to beat those @#%&!s in a title race, nothing gives me more pleasure then seeing them fight for 4th place every season. It must be quite soul destroying for the @#%&!s that follow them.

Unread 27-10-2008, 11:22 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Bit like their home draw with Stoke after winning the World Cup/European Cup/ Grand National/Wimbledon/The Open against us? I hope so.

They were very lucky when they got to play us. If they'd had us even two weeks later, we'd have battered them. £#%&!ing hell, I wish we were playing them on Wednesday. Nothing winds me up more then #@&%!y scouse @#%&!s
Let them have their moment. If they're as lucky as you suggest, then it won't last, will it?

I'm glad they're involved. Makes it more interesting. Bring it on, I say. Despite our intense rivalry, there's never been a genuine title battle between the two in my time watching them. A genuine one that has gone properly to May.
Pipping them to a title would probably be the sweetest of all.

Unread 27-10-2008, 12:19 PM
Coracao

Next 6

Us:

West Ham (H)
Hull (H)
Arsenal (A)
Stoke (H)
Villa (A)
City (A)

3 easy home games and terrible aways, (Villa are due a result against)

Arsenal:

Spurs (H)
Stoke (A)
Us (H)
City (A)
Chelsea (A)
Wigan (H)

Chelsea:

Hull (A)
Sunderland (H)
Blackburn (A)
West Brom (A)
Newcastle (H)
Arsenal (H)

Scouse @#%&!s:

Portsmouth (H)
Spurs (A)
West Brom (H)
Bolton (A)
Fulham (H)
West Ham (H)

Unread 27-10-2008, 12:25 PM
Brenner

£#%&! them scouse @#%&!s

If they are challenging for the title in the last month of the season I'll show my arse in exchange square

It'll be yet another false dawn for them - they're almost as deluded as them fatneck geordie @#%&!s tbh

Unread 27-10-2008, 12:43 PM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Well, we have trips to Arsenal and City to look forward to next month, so that's at least two games we'll drop points in
The League is basically decided on results against the other top 4, we've so far dropped 5 points regardless of results last season.

I just feel we need to get good results at both City & Arsenal, otherwise we could leave ourselfs with too much to do next year, dont forget we'll have catch up games like Fulham and Wigan due to playing in Japan and also the CL will be back.

Unread 27-10-2008, 12:44 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
At home to Fulham.

That's right, chill out mate.

Unread 27-10-2008, 12:55 PM
MJ Ramone

It's very rare that a team wins the English top division 3 years on the spin.
If you add that to the inconsistent early form we've shown so far & it's looking a very tough ask to win the Premiership this season.

We've got a lot of ground to make up....+ it's all well & good saying that we've got hard away games out of the road, but that's not the way football works.
I remember 2006/07. The press & Chelsea fans saying we'd £#%&! it up because our run-in had Fulham away (a bit of a '1-1' bogey ground at the time), Liverpool away, Everton away, Spurs away, City away, Chelsea away. We won them all & went to STamford Bridge as Champions.

Confidence & consistency are the key to winning a Title, it doesn't matter who you're playing.

We need to wake the £#%&! up & stop 'sitting' on 0-1 leads in away games.
We should have buried a very ordinary Everton side on Saturday, but we were far too casual & complacent in the 2nd half.

Very wasteful & dissapointing result.

Unread 27-10-2008, 01:29 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
If you add that to the inconsistent early form we've shown so far & it's looking a very tough ask to win the Premiership this season.

We've got a lot of ground to make up....+ it's all well & good saying that we've got hard away games out of the road, but that's not the way football works.
I remember 2006/07. The press & Chelsea fans saying we'd £#%&! it up because our run-in had Fulham away (a bit of a '1-1' bogey ground at the time), Liverpool away, Everton away, Spurs away, City away, Chelsea away. We won them all & went to STamford Bridge as Champions.

Confidence & consistency are the key to winning a Title, it doesn't matter who you're playing.

We should have buried a very ordinary Everton side on Saturday, but we were far too casual & complacent in the 2nd half.

I think that's a really good point. It's £#%&!ing tough to maintain the consistency in the league like that. Not to mention a run of luck you need, not saying we won the league by luck but you certainly need it over the course of a season & we only won it on the last day last year so you can count those times when you might not deserve a point etc as extra important.

Injuries have robbed us of our central midfield, likewise Chelsea with Essien & Ballack in the centre & Drogba again... we know the Vermin have had Torres out but if they lost Mascherano I think they'd struggle a lot more. As such, when you look at the size & capability of the squads involved, I can see Chelsea taking these hits the best. We have a great squad, but Japan & all that entails can distract you. Not that I'd assume we'll throw it away, but the margains are a lot finer these days.

Can see it going to the last few games, but it'll need to be some run from Feb next year to take us to the title.

Although I really think we have a great, great chance to retain the CL if we avoid playing the English teams (not that I think we'll lose, I just can't take the nerves).

Unread 27-10-2008, 01:45 PM
Zorg

I normally find Hansen impartial but watching MOTD2 he's itching for the vermin to win it isn't he?

Unread 27-10-2008, 02:05 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
I normally find Hansen impartial but watching MOTD2 he's itching for the vermin to win it isn't he?
Only because the scousers have been nowhere near for £#%&!ing years.

Unread 27-10-2008, 02:06 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone

Agree with all of that. That's why I wanted Chelsea to get a result on Sunday
Closed Thread