Picks itself tbh.
agreed

Unread 31-12-2010, 03:52 PM
magic_cantona

Default Re: United Team of the Decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
we've had much better wums than this
I looked at his previous posts this morning thinking exactly the same thing.

Unread 31-12-2010, 03:53 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vidic
________________Carroll___________________

Bardsley_____Brown_____Heinze______Silvestre

____________O'Shea____Keane (c)___________

Fletcher________________________Richardson

__________Smith____Van_Nistelrooy_________

Carroll, more reliable than Howard in between the sticks, and a back four that no one would want to mess with makes up my defence. With Bardsley destroying anyone foraying down our right side, Brown browning and Heinze crunching opposition forwards, and Silvestre policing that left flank with electric pace and the concentration of a chess grandmaster, clean sheets are virtually guaranteed.

In central midfield, O'Shea brings a cultured elegance reminiscent of the great German Kaiser. Two footed, and able to cover any of the positions along the back four with equal competence, he provides an excellent foil to the snarling, 'my way or no way' leadership of his counterpart; Royston Keane.

The centremidfield is complimented by the wingers; Fletcher can run up and down that right flank all day, and Richardson possesses a wand of a left foot. Their tactical discipline and lack of creativity is what Keane demands.

Up front, Smith brings back a style reminiscent of the great Mark Hughes. His partner is the wonderful finisher, Ruud Van Nistelrooy, through which every attack must go. There's nothing predictable about this attack though - only the fact that the ball will inevitably end up in the net at some stage.

Beat that
If Grimson was dead, which he never will be, he'd be rolling in his grave at that.

Unread 31-12-2010, 04:05 PM
magic_cantona

How did I forget Scholes in mine?

£#%&!ing hell, choosing between the likes of Keane, Robbo and Scholes is a £#%&!ing mare Spoilt £#%&!ers

Unread 31-12-2010, 04:13 PM
Menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
How did I forget Scholes in mine?

£#%&!ing hell, choosing between the likes of Keane, Robbo and Scholes is a £#%&!ing mare Spoilt £#%&!ers
I'm surprised at the amount of people have left out Scholes tbh.

I suppose it all comes down to what generation you come from.

Reds that saw Robson play see him as their idol, but then even older Reds will tell you he was nothing compared to the likes of Best and Charlton, and then even older Reds will tell you that they were nothing compared to Edwards and the Babes.

I hope one day I'll be telling youngsters that they should have Scholes and Ruud in their dream team ahead of legends like Cleverley and Wellbeck.

Unread 31-12-2010, 04:17 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menace
I'm surprised at the amount of people have left out Scholes tbh.

I suppose it all comes down to what generation you come from.

Reds that saw Robson play see him as their idol, but then even older Reds will tell you he was nothing compared to the likes of Best and Charlton, and then even older Reds will tell you that they were nothing compared to Edwards and the Babes.

I hope one day I'll be telling youngsters that they should have Scholes and Ruud in their dream team ahead of legends like Cleverley and Wellbeck.
tbh though, I've always said that Scholes is the most complete midfielder I've ever seen and I have seen more of him than Robbo tbh. I'd probably put him in ahead of Robbo tbh.Or just rearrange my team to fit in 12 players

Unread 31-12-2010, 04:20 PM
borsuk

robson was brilliant and scholes would never have been able to do in some relatively poor sides what robbo did, pulling them through single-handedly at times. the injuries were a tragedy.

on the other hand, scholes is a genius. i've never seen an english player to compare to him in terms of technique, vision and intelligence and i watched robbo in his prime. robbo couldn't have orchestrated a team of superstars the way scholes has done for us for over a decade.

completely different players, both brilliant in their own ways. scholes is the man for me though, a unique player, nobody comes close to him.

Unread 31-12-2010, 04:21 PM
borsuk

Quote:
that's %@#$&!s mate

Unread 31-12-2010, 04:25 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
that's %@#$&!s mate
It is - but quite a few oldies will swear blind to this day that Edwards was the greatest there ever was, or will be. Merely his stats are mind-blowing enough, tbh

Unread 31-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Menace

Quote:
that's %@#$&!s mate
From my experience a lot of supporters will be biased in favour of the players they grew up watching.

They may be wrong, but a lot of people are biased in that way.

I know I'm certainly biased when I talk about United from about 1993/94. I believe that's the best side we've had, and always tell Reds they were the best side. I may be wrong, but I'm biased.

Unread 31-12-2010, 04:47 PM
borsuk

Quote:
From my experience a lot of supporters will be biased in favour of the players they grew up watching.

They may be wrong, but a lot of people are biased in that way.

I know I'm certainly biased when I talk about United from about 1993/94. I believe that's the best side we've had, and always tell Reds they were the best side. I may be wrong, but I'm biased.
oh, no problem with that. but older reds (ahem) will still appreciate modern players, it was the 'nothing' that i was objecting to.

Unread 31-12-2010, 04:57 PM
Sloane

Scholes is the best player of the last decade

Unread 31-12-2010, 04:57 PM
Menace

Quote:
oh, no problem with that. but older reds (ahem) will still appreciate modern players, it was the 'nothing' that i was objecting to.
The 'nothing' was just a figure of speech, I didn't mean it literally. I was just trying to point out that a lot of fans will favour the players they grew up watching. Obviously that doesn't mean disregarding modern players. Your views on Scholes proves that.

Anyway borsuk, you're not old enough to remember the Babes (I hope), so you don't have to call yourself an older Red.

Unread 31-12-2010, 05:10 PM
Sparky***

VDS

Neville
Rio
Vidic
Evra

Keane
Scholes
Giggs

Ronaldo
Van Nistelrooy
Rooney

Unread 31-12-2010, 05:25 PM
ziggyman17

Thumbs up Re: United Team of the Decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
VDS

Neville
Rio
Vidic
Evra

Keane
Scholes
Giggs

Ronaldo
Van Nistelrooy
Rooney

end of debate..

Unread 31-12-2010, 05:28 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Anyway borsuk, you're not old enough to remember the Babes (I hope), so you don't have to call yourself an older Red.
just missed seeing charlton on my dad's knee, mind.

Unread 31-12-2010, 07:03 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
I've always said that Scholes is the most complete midfielder I've ever seen and I have seen more of him than Robbo tbh. I'd probably put him in ahead of Robbo tbh.
I love scholes. he's probably the only world class player england have had in the last 15 years. but complete? midfielders should be able to tackle. and dribble. and talk. robson was complete in a way scholes has never been. scholes might be more of a quarterback, but robson could play any position on the pitch and would still have been the best player on the pitch. can't see scholes as a centre-half. he is a genius, but he's an attacking midfielder.

Quote:
robson was brilliant and scholes would never have been able to do in some relatively poor sides what robbo did, pulling them through single-handedly at times. the injuries were a tragedy.

on the other hand, scholes is a genius. i've never seen an english player to compare to him in terms of technique, vision and intelligence and i watched robbo in his prime. robbo couldn't have orchestrated a team of superstars the way scholes has done for us for over a decade.

completely different players, both brilliant in their own ways. scholes is the man for me though, a unique player, nobody comes close to him.
fine, then say scholes > hoddle or something.

Unread 31-12-2010, 07:05 PM
magic_cantona

Thumbs up Re: United Team of the Decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
I love scholes. he's probably the only world class player england have had in the last 15 years. but complete? midfielders should be able to tackle. and dribble. and talk. robson was complete in a way scholes has never been. scholes might be more of a quarterback, but robson could play any position on the pitch and would still have been the best player on the pitch. can't see scholes as a centre-half. he is a genius, but he's an attacking midfielder.

fine, then say scholes > hoddle or something.
Rubbish, but thanks for the effort.
Closed Thread