United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 31-12-2010, 01:00 PM
The Return of JC

Default 1/2 Season Player of the Year award.

I'm bored and it's this half of the season that the PFA Award base their whole season on, so who would get your vote?

Nobody has been outstanding, imo, and all have had dips in form or been in and out of the side. Players like Park, Rafael, Evra and Anderson have excelled in recent weeks, but took a while to get going for one reason or another.

Scholes started brilliantly but has faded somewhat. Rio and Vidic have had a few top notch individual performances, but are still conceding goals collectively. Hernandez has been a breath of fresh air, but hasn't played enough.

Nani continues to improve and is adding consistency to his game, but I think Berbatov just edges it. He got us off and running against Newcastle and has provided us with the best moments this season with the hat trick and the five goal haul. I don't think anyone would've expected all the Rooney nonsense and for him to have no open play goals from Aug-Jan, so Berb really needed to step up and has done so. Without his goals, we'd be totally screwed.

I think it's been a superb effort for someone who gets so much stick on here and in the press.

Berbatov closely followed by Nani, for me.

Unread 31-12-2010, 01:06 PM
Menace

Default Re: 1/2 Season Player of the Year award.

Coin toss between Berbatov and Nani.

Despite his dip in form for a few weeks, I'd give it to Berbatov for his two hat-tricks and return to form in recent games. And the fact he's the league's top goal scorer.

Scored the goal of the season as well.

Unread 31-12-2010, 01:14 PM
borsuk

take your pick from vidic, rafael and berbatov. nani has been brilliant as well but i'd go for one of those three.

Unread 31-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Gorilla Monsoon

Purely because I love it when a youngster makes the step up, id give it to Rafael. Confirmed his position as first choice right back already, good going forward but also brilliant defensively. If fabio can push on it'll be brilliant to have them pair of them at left and right back for years to come.

Unread 31-12-2010, 01:26 PM
Menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Monsoon
Purely because I love it when a youngster makes the step up, id give it to Rafael. Confirmed his position as first choice right back already, good going forward but also brilliant defensively. If fabio can push on it'll be brilliant to have them pair of them at left and right back for years to come.
I know he's been £#%&! this season, but we've all seen the potential in Jonny Evans. If he can get his confidence back we've got an exciting looking young back four.

Fabio - Evans - Smalling - Rafael

Average age just under 21.

If they all fulfill their potential that could be the next ten years sorted.

Unread 31-12-2010, 01:35 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menace
I know he's been £#%&! this season, but we've all seen the potential in Jonny Evans. If he can get his confidence back we've got an exciting looking young back four.

Agreed. Evans has had an awful year - no escaping that, but I hope this is all just part of his development and will be the making of him.

I love Rafael. I think our full backs are my two favourite players at the moment!

Unread 31-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Menace

I hope Valencia is back strong as ever in early 2011.

Him and Rafael will be a £#%&!ing superb partnership up and down that right flank.

Nani and Evra on the left doesn't sound bad either.

Unread 31-12-2010, 01:41 PM
Baron

Comfortably Berbatov.

Unread 31-12-2010, 01:43 PM
Cream

Nobody has been consistently outstanding, but Nani has had less dips than Berbatov so he gets my vote. Both deserve a lot of credit.

Rafael has been the most satisfying , thought he might have taken a while longer to get to this level. Will only get better.

Unread 31-12-2010, 01:43 PM
History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menace

Confidence is not an issue with evans, it's his basic defending qualities, his marking, positioning and tackling have been awful for some time.
Now Smalling

Berbs for 1/2 POY
Rafael for young 1/2 POY

Makes it fair

Fancy Anderson to finish the season strong, forming a nice partnership with Carrick.

Unread 31-12-2010, 01:44 PM
Darth Vidic

Nani; he's consistently been producing moments to get us at least a point from a match.

His goal against Bolton is a contender for goal of the season along with Berbatov's bicycle kick imo.

Unread 31-12-2010, 01:45 PM
Mancunian Red

Berbatov has been shite unless Rooney has played by his side he went missing for 10 games or so when Rooney was out of the side. Nani has been inconsistent - the best player and most consistent - Vidic

Unread 31-12-2010, 01:47 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by History
Confidence is not an issue with evans, it's his basic defending qualities, his marking, positioning and tackling have been awful for some time.
Now Smalling

Berbs for 1/2 POY
Rafael for young 1/2 POY

Makes it fair

Fancy Anderson to finish the season strong, forming a nice partnership with Carrick.
But confidence and overall mentality can affect the basics.

See Nani. With his head screwed on and confidence flowing everything falls into place, from being half a yard quicker to making the right decisions.

Unread 31-12-2010, 01:47 PM
History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancunian Red
Berbatov has been shite unless Rooney has played by his side he went missing for 10 games or so when Rooney was out of the side. Nani has been inconsistent - the best player and most consistent - Vidic
%@#$&!s that. So by your reasoning if you don't score it means you've been shite?

I can think of a number of games when berbs not scored but he's had very productive ones in which he's put in good performances.

Unread 31-12-2010, 01:49 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
What does it matter who is next to him when he plays well? The point is, he plays well. VDS would look pretty shit with no defenders in front of him too.

I'd hardly say he was shit for ten games either.

Unread 31-12-2010, 01:50 PM
Mancunian Red

Quote:
%@#$&!s that. So by your reasoning if you don't score it means you've been shite?

I can think of a number of games when berbs not scored but he's had very productive ones in which he's put in good performances.
Has he £#%&! numerous games he went missing and that is why he was even dropped by Fergie or are you going to pretend this didn't happen?

Unread 31-12-2010, 01:52 PM
History

Quote:
Has he £#%&! numerous games he went missing and that is why he was even dropped by Fergie or are you going to pretend this didn't happen?
So other players are rotated and berbatov is dropped?

Unread 31-12-2010, 01:52 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:

Yup. He was great at Stoke despite not scoring (and not playing with Rooney) and he put in a good shift in Valencia with zero supply and nearly scored a brilliant individual goal.

His attitude has improved too. It's not just his output. He's hungrier, more enthusiastic. He never complains about being subbed or left out. He missed the Arsenal game after scoring 5 in his last game. In his next game he scores 2. Great stuff.

Unread 31-12-2010, 01:53 PM
Menace

Quote:
Now Smalling
Do you not think confidence (or lack of) underlines all those flaws though?

He was brilliant not so long ago. I was even confident in him facing Barca in the 2009 Champion's League Final, as was being suggested at the time.

My biggest problem with him is that he gets out-muscled so often. He's not physically imposing enough. He needs to take a lesson from Vidic and toughen the £#%&! up. Hit the gym, bulk up, scream in the mirror, anything to stop being bossed like a bitch.

Fully agree about Smalling. I've liked him since I first saw him. Great with the ball at his feet and has qualities that I see in Rio.

Unread 31-12-2010, 01:53 PM
Mancunian Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
What does it matter who is next to him when he plays well? The point is, he plays well. VDS would look pretty shit with no defenders in front of him too.

I'd hardly say he was shit for ten games either.
Well Fergie dropped him, had he been playing that well Fergie wouldn't have dropped him for the likes of Macheda.

People want to rewrite history, he has had his best season so far at OT I'm happy about that and his work rate is far superior but he hasn't been consistent and without Rooney overall he was very poor.
Closed Thread