United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 23-09-2016, 12:01 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
I'd say we'll be doing a fair bit
Indeed. Time waits for no man. LvG made the mistake of waiting until the summer twice...

Unread 23-09-2016, 12:18 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Einstein knew about gravity... Unfortunately the biggest lump on the pitch cannot attract anything that sticks and what he propels tends to go out of play

So do I..... Thanks to Isaac Newton

Unread 23-09-2016, 12:19 PM
sa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripDownMiseryLane
Stats, piss and piffle, whether it's the journo's or nufooty fans, the games dead on it's arse.

NFC.
When I was doing my degree on day release from work I used to go in on a Monday. One lad would always ask me if I'd watched Barcelona on the weekend and start reciting their pass completion rates and possession percentage. I didn't bother to explain to him that, in my opinion, boiling Barcelona's football down to a bunch of numbers completely negated the inherent artistry of likes of Iniesta and Messi.

Stats are for people who know £#%&! all about actual football and therefore feel safe hiding behind numbers. I know if a particular player has played well and influenced a game, I don't need to know how many high intensity sprints they have made to help me decide.

Unread 23-09-2016, 01:04 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa7
When I was doing my degree on day release from work I used to go in on a Monday. One lad would always ask me if I'd watched Barcelona on the weekend and start reciting their pass completion rates and possession percentage. I didn't bother to explain to him that, in my opinion, boiling Barcelona's football down to a bunch of numbers completely negated the inherent artistry of likes of Iniesta and Messi.

Stats are for people who know £#%&! all about actual football and therefore feel safe hiding behind numbers. I know if a particular player has played well and influenced a game, I don't need to know how many high intensity sprints they have made to help me decide.
Yup. How do you quantify a midfielder controlling the pace of a game?

Unread 23-09-2016, 01:11 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa7

spot on, football is far more nuanced than reducing it to a bunch of stats. can't stand stat £#%&!ers.

Unread 23-09-2016, 01:47 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
spot on, football is far more nuanced than reducing it to a bunch of stats. can't stand stat £#%&!ers.
83.5% of them are awful.

Unread 23-09-2016, 01:50 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Makes some reasonable points tbf. I can't imagine too many people aren't slightly concerned with the current Mourinho.

If it all blows over then great, but he doesn't look the Mourinho of old and, as Wilson points out, having the genius of Fergie around these parts has somewhat clouded the reality that most managers don't just dominate the game for twenty years.

Wouldn't mind an article or two on the shambolic way the club is run, but I suppose they wouldn't want to upset their mate Woody
I thought you didn't want him to be the "Mourinho of old". Didn't you bang on endlessly when you kicked off your campaign about how he will have to change his ways to be a success here?

Unread 23-09-2016, 01:55 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
83.5% of them are awful.

Unread 23-09-2016, 02:08 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
83.5% of them are awful.

Unread 23-09-2016, 03:34 PM
Venceremos

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff
right on cue, noted sage jonathan wilson BLASTS mourinho in a BRUTAL thinkpiece.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...-united-master
Always good stuff from JW. I remember his article on Ronaldo being a weakness for Madrid and how they won't ever win the Champions League with him in the side... I was writing my own blog on how brilliant Pedro is at the time complete with heat maps and Opta pass display widgets and being able to reference such a smart football writer really helped.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/bl...ength-weakness

Unread 23-09-2016, 04:03 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
I thought you didn't want him to be the "Mourinho of old". Didn't you bang on endlessly when you kicked off your campaign about how he will have to change his ways to be a success here?

Why when I have an opinion is it presented as a campaign?

If I recall correctly me suggesting that much of the issues with the team not being about Van Gaal's tactics was received in the same way. Even this early in the season, that's been at least someway vindicated, surely? It's not a campaign ffs. It just can't have escaped people that Mourinho's methods have been less successful in his last two jobs than in his previous two jobs.

Btw "the Mourinho of old" line can be merely in the context of his success and energy he brings.

Unread 23-09-2016, 04:44 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa7

Sums up the nufootyfan to a tee, not a one of these cretins would have had any interest in the game if it wasn't for sky et el. Know loads of these @#%&!s and none of them have ever, ever played, even at school. The inane so called journos are exactly the same

Unread 23-09-2016, 05:51 PM
Tronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff
right on cue, noted sage jonathan wilson BLASTS mourinho in a BRUTAL thinkpiece.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...-united-master
Some decent point there

Unread 23-09-2016, 06:29 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronics
Some decent point there
I honestly thought things couldn't get any more relentlessly shit and the tidal wave of negative shit couldn't get any bigger than under Moyes and Van Gaal.

Turns out I was wrong.

Unread 23-09-2016, 06:39 PM
MJ Ramone

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripDownMiseryLane
Sums up the nufootyfan to a tee, not a one of these cretins would have had any interest in the game if it wasn't for sky et el. Know loads of these @#%&!s and none of them have ever, ever played, even at school. The inane so called journos are exactly the same
yep.

They suck the enjoyment out of the game on every £#%&!ing level.
You can imagine them smugly chuckling along to a James Richardson podcast in their thirties, but when they were a kid they wouldn't play Football at break time in case they got their school trousers dirty.

Unread 23-09-2016, 07:17 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Was one of the reasons I didn't want him. Just feels like the magic has gone a bit.

It was an open discussion on here from his time at Madrid, something has gone, a broken man etc. Seemed to be all dismissed the second there was a chance he was coming to OT for some reason this despite his implosion at Chelsea last season.

Not many managers are successful consistently for as long as he has been and beyond, he's got a big task on his hands re-inventing himself as successful with his new demeanour and in a situation he has never been in before with the current state of United. Easily his greatest challenge... Feels like he has approached it a bit softly-softly so far, last week or 2 excepted. Might well be a rough ride over the course of this season that could go either way. I'm actually expecting some movement in the market in Jan as he ditches a few and adds some more of his own players..
All valid concerns, but there's a degree of dammed if he does, dammed if he doesn't.

If he came storming in, people would accuse him of the same stuff that saw him fail last season. If he comes in as he has - softly softly, as you put it - them he's gone soft/he's putting it on etc etc.

I think he's done the right thing by playing things down so far. The job was big enough without any histrionics. He's been confident without being arrogant.a safer approach.

And it all comes down to results. I'm far more interested in him £#%&!ing up the line up and getting outplayed by city than I am by any perceived notion of his magic going, time passing him by 'this new mourinho' etc etc in the press.

There's no real surprises so far in terms of where our strengths and weaknesses lie, how we've progressed or by the predictably dull media onslaught at the first sign of trouble.

The only surprise is that people still buy into it. Actually, that's not surprising either.
Closed Thread