Ginners

Thumbs up

good thread duckers

Unread 03-04-2009, 01:23 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginners
good thread duckers
cheers mate. all the better for you giving it your blessing.

Unread 03-04-2009, 01:53 PM
Mark Corrigan

Exclamation A few Barca pics

£12 that final ticket cost

More here : http://www.utdforum.com/forum/album.php?albumid=97

Unread 03-04-2009, 01:56 PM
Jack Duckworth

great pics, mark. pre- digital camera days too

Unread 03-04-2009, 01:58 PM
Mark Corrigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
great pics, mark. pre- digital camera days too
Cheers, it was one of the disposable max spielmans *sp* one's. Got one for Moscow last year and hardly any of the pictures turned out at all

Unread 03-04-2009, 02:01 PM
Sparky***

i was channel hopping the other night and happened upon Liverpool FC TV. No, not Sky Sports 1, the official Liverpool channel that comes with setanta.

Their talking point in the studio? Why wasn't their 'treble' in 1984 given as much publicity as ours in 1999? "Nobody got knighted or anything", "I think we weren't given enough credit for beating Roma in Rome."

Yes, why weren't they given enough credit for playing 5, YES FIVE, whole teams to win the european cup? Including such giants of world football as Odense of Denmark and Dinamo Bucharest.

Let's have a look at what GIANT teams made up the quarter finals of the 1984 european cup?

Benfica
Dinamo Minsk
Dinamo Bucharest
Dundee United
Dinamo Berlin
Rapid Vienna
Roma
Liverpool

Add to that the fact that it was pretty much standard at that point in time for english teams to win the european cup and you can understand why there wasn't the fuss.

Unread 03-04-2009, 02:08 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
you can understand why there wasn't the fuss.
That and the fact it wasn't The Treble. European Cup. League Championship. The FA Cup. Winning the three most prestigious and meaningful trophies you can compete for.

They really are a bitter bunch

Unread 03-04-2009, 02:10 PM
Wafty Crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
i was channel hopping the other night and happened upon Liverpool FC TV. No, not Sky Sports 1, the official Liverpool channel that comes with setanta.

Their talking point in the studio? Why wasn't their 'treble' in 1984 given as much publicity as ours in 1999? "Nobody got knighted or anything", "I think we weren't given enough credit for beating Roma in Rome."

Yes, why weren't they given enough credit for playing 5, YES FIVE, whole teams to win the european cup? Including such giants of world football as Odense of Denmark and Dinamo Bucharest.

Let's have a look at what GIANT teams made up the quarter finals of the 1984 european cup?

Benfica
Dinamo Minsk
Dinamo Bucharest
Dundee United
Dinamo Berlin
Rapid Vienna
Roma
Liverpool

Add to that the fact that it was pretty much standard at that point in time for english teams to win the european cup and you can understand why there wasn't the fuss.
Don't forget they actually got a bye in Europe's premier club competition in (I think) 77/78. A £#%&!ing bye. Although having said that, games against teams like Crusaders and Oulu Palloseura were as good as byes anyway, any English/Italian/German/Spanish team that didn't make the semis in those days had £#%&!ed up royally in that.

Unread 03-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Wafty Crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
That and the fact it wasn't The Treble. European Cup. League Championship. The FA Cup. Winning the three most prestigious and meaningful trophies you can compete for.

They really are a bitter bunch
They're bitter because when they came closest to doing it, WE stopped them.

Unread 03-04-2009, 02:16 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Corrigan
£12 that final ticket cost
[IMG]

More here : http://www.utdforum.com/forum/album.php?albumid=97
You're about 30 or so seats to the right from where I was sat.

Unread 03-04-2009, 02:16 PM
armchair

Every season when it looks like United have £#%&!ed it up, I think back to the times in 99 when all looked lost.

Unread 03-04-2009, 02:17 PM
Mark Corrigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
You're about 30 or so seats to the right from where I was sat.
Are you on the picture?

Unread 03-04-2009, 02:19 PM
Crumps

Default I was wearing red that day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Corrigan
Are you on the picture?
Can't see myself. I'll post my seat row number tomorrow.

We could have had a meet.

Unread 03-04-2009, 02:25 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Every season when it looks like United have £#%&!ed it up, I think back to the times in 99 when all looked lost.
During the last couple of months of that season, I think there was a point in almost every game when I thought all was lost

Unread 03-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Hobhead
my top 5 moments from that season:

1) juve, s-f 2nd leg
2) the final in barca
3) semi v arseholes
4) doing the double over the vermin
5) the two 3-3 games v barca in the group stages
Fair play to you. I always try to forget that night at Anfield, but your brain has repressed it so much it's managed to turn it into a win. I may try and do the same.

Unread 03-04-2009, 02:29 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero
Fair play to you. I always try to forget that night at Anfield, but your brain has repressed it so much it's managed to turn it into a win. I may try and do the same.

Unread 03-04-2009, 02:31 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero

tbh, i thought we had lost, but he seemed so sure i thought i must be wrong.

btw, a little bit of sullers dies every time somebody posts in this thread, so keep on doing so, and with any luck he'll be dead by 5pm

Unread 03-04-2009, 02:31 PM
Zorg

I spent almost all of that season on my year abroad from uni. First in Paris, then in Moscow, I only saw a couple of matches in the flesh.

But one of those was the 8-1 at Forest. Stayed at a Forest supporting mate of mine's with his family, the poor bastards were just sat staring into space as I was like this ->

Unread 03-04-2009, 02:32 PM
Ginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth

tbh, i thought we had lost, but he seemed so sure i thought i must be wrong.

btw, a little bit of sullers dies every time somebody posts in this thread, so keep on doing so, and with any luck he'll be dead by 5pm
cant wait that long

Unread 03-04-2009, 04:28 PM
MJ Ramone

That whole season was £#%&!ing ridiculous!

Every time you single a game out you remember another one.

I remember the opening game against Leicester at OT...the 2-2 ...it was on the day of the Omagh bombing. That always sticks in my memory for some reason.
There was a really comfortable 0-3 win at The Dell (which was our bogey ground x10 at the time of course)
2-0 at home to the scousers - Scholesy screamer.

Then you get to the 2nd half of the season - Liverpool at Old Trafford in the FA Cup. Absolute heaven.
The Inter Milan games, the Juventus games, the Arsenal Cup Semi Finals etc..

The gut wrenching draws stay in the memory too - the 1-1 at Elland Road & the 2-2 at Anfield when we should have won both games with something to spare.

Culminating with the nerve shredding, pure torture that was the final League game against Spurs at Old Trafford (I don't think a Full Time whistle has ever sounded sweeter - maybe Barca at OT last season was on a par) The FA Cup final was a breeze & then the Nou Camp which still seems like a far-fetched £#%&!ing dream!

Amazing season. £#%&!ing unreal.
Closed Thread