United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 04-01-2008, 04:43 PM
1MUFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by koppas
Neither did Ronaldo.
we all know what ronaldo will do sooner or later and if he wants to he can £#%&! off.

Unread 04-01-2008, 04:44 PM
Barca '91

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy
Yes, there's Pele, Maradona, Zidane, Ronaldinho and then... errr... Ryan Giggs.
Pele, Maradona, Zindane and Ronaldoinho ey? Them pages must have fallen out of my United Opus

Unread 04-01-2008, 04:46 PM
poppy

That's another cliche trotted out regarding Giggs. We'll all only realise how good he was once he's gone.

Robson, Eric, Georgie, Law, Charlton, Keane, Scholes, Buchan. We all knew just how good they were whilst still wearing the shirt. You tend to spot these things with great players.

Ryan Giggs is a United legend for his outstanding service to the club. He's won far more than I'd ever have imagined when I first saw him as a kid. He didn't quite turn out to be the player I thought he'd be though. That's just an honest opinion.

Unread 04-01-2008, 04:48 PM
dodger

Quote:
That's another cliche trotted out regarding Giggs. We'll all only realise how good he was once he's gone.

Robson, Eric, Georgie, Law, Charlton, Keane, Scholes, Buchan. We all knew just how good they were whilst still wearing the shirt. You tend to spot these things with great players.

Ryan Giggs is a United legend for his outstanding service to the club. He's won far more than I'd ever have imagined when I first saw him as a kid. He didn't quite turn out to be the player I thought he'd be though. That's just an honest opinion.
So who is the most decorated player ever pull on the shirt?

Unread 04-01-2008, 04:50 PM
dunk

Quote:

WE all know how good Giggs is while he is playing. The £#%&!wits won't realise how good he is until he is gone. The time period Giggs has been playing is a lot longer than the majority of the players you have mentioned, most weren't taken for granted in the same way.

Scholes is in much the same boat.

And you will see I added the rider, 'to name but 4', to my original comment. However, when the dust settles on his career, his name will lie alongside Best, Law and Charlton in our history. That is a fact.

Unread 04-01-2008, 04:51 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
Rooney will be our most important player once Scholes has retired, I reckon he will play in midfield in years to come (same as Scholes started his career up front).
No chance. Rooney (to me at least) is a very instinctive player. When he plays a cleaver through ball, spots a pass, or shoots first time, I've always felt that there isn't much "thinking" involved. He just does it. The winner against Milan is the perfect example. He'd be wasted in midfield imo, especially when you consider that he can play both the number 9 or 10 role at a very high level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
Ronaldo is a great player capable of lighting up any game and has dragged us out of the shit numerous times over the last couple of years, but I wouldn't swap him for Rooney.
No one's asking you too. You may have noticed that they both play for us!

It seems on FT you can only praise one our brilliant young players at the expense of another. It's rather sad, but all to predictable

Unread 04-01-2008, 04:51 PM
koppas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MUFC
we all know what ronaldo will do sooner or later and if he wants to he can £#%&! off.
This is what makes me laugh - why shouldn't he join Real Madrid in the future for £#%&!s sake? He is 22 now and has been at United for almost five years. He has won the FA Cup, won the Carling Cup, won the League and will win the CL eventually. He isn't a United fan and isn't from Manchester. Why the £#%&! shouldn't he go and play for one of the biggest clubs in the world? He is from Portugal so will be nearer home and also has the climate that he was used to living in Portugal. If he wins us the Champions League a couple of time and then £#%&!s off, fair play to him.

He needs to show some loyalty as we gave him the platform to be where he is today but that doesn't mean to say that he has to stay with us for his whole career. Some people really need to look at the wider picture and take off the red tinted specs.

NFT

Unread 04-01-2008, 04:54 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Yes, there's Pele, Maradona, Zidane, Ronaldinho and then... errr... Ryan Giggs.

He's been a good player but come on now, let's not get silly. He's not in the Paul Scholes class. Never has been never will be.

Interestingly, since his debut nearly 18 years ago, Giggs managed 100 league goals. 22 year old Ronaldo has already managed 48 and is a better player at 22 than Giggs has ever been.

Unfortunately, when a Giggs tribute thread starts, we have the same 6 or 7 usual youtube clips trotted out. A truly great player would have had far more than that for the number of games he's played.

Good. Very good even. Certainly not a great.
an intelligent, subtle and wonderfully artistic player. no surprise you don't rate him, though i'm sure you still remember the one he got against you in the semi in the treble season.

poppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
So who is the most decorated player ever pull on the shirt?
So you're saying Phil Neville was a better player than George Best?

I'm talking about football ability not medals in the bank.

The Watcher

Thumbs up

Quote:
This is what makes me laugh - why shouldn't he join Real Madrid in the future for £#%&!s sake? He is 22 now and has been at United for almost five years. He has won the FA Cup, won the Carling Cup, won the League and will win the CL eventually. He isn't a United fan and isn't from Manchester. Why the £#%&! shouldn't he go and play for one of the biggest clubs in the world? He is from Portugal so will be nearer home and also has the climate that he was used to living in Portugal. If he wins us the Champions League a couple of time and then £#%&!s off, fair play to him.

He needs to show some loyalty as we gave him the platform to be where he is today but that doesn't mean to say that he has to stay with us for his whole career. Some people really need to look at the wider picture and take off the red tinted specs.

NFT
Probably the best thing you've ever posted on here

Unread 04-01-2008, 04:56 PM
MJ Ramone

I doubt if Rooney will ever be mentioned in the same breath as Best, Charlton, Cantona etc..(although of course you never know, he's only 22 after all)
In the 25+ years I've been watching United I can honestly say Wayne Rooney is as good as anything I've seen.
He ticks all the boxes for me.

It's great to know that he wants to spend his whole career at the Club.

Unread 04-01-2008, 04:57 PM
poppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
a, intelligent, subtle and wonderfully artistic player. no surprise you don't rate him, though i'm sure you still remember the one he got against you in the semi.
Ahh that game again. One of those 6 or 7 youtube moments.

Yes I remember that game. The one he started on the bench because of a period of woeful form. The game he kept givig the ball away for the entire time he was on the pitch until he went on to score a great goal against an exhausted Arsenal team in extra-time.

Unread 04-01-2008, 04:58 PM
Rhodzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
an intelligent, subtle and wonderfully artistic player. no surprise you don't rate him, though i'm sure you still remember the one he got against you in the semi in the treble season.
He probably thinks Pires is a better player than him.
I remember why I had him on ignore now.

Unread 04-01-2008, 04:58 PM
Gazw649

Ryan Giggs is a United great. It is undebateable.

Unread 04-01-2008, 04:59 PM
koppas

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Probably the best thing you've ever posted on here
Thanks. As I read it back I thought to myself: "That sounds £#%&!ing good!"

Just irritates me the way that people think that players owe United their whole careers.

Unread 04-01-2008, 04:59 PM
dunk

Quote:

NFT
£#%&!ing hell that's good koppas.

A very hard to take truth.

Unread 04-01-2008, 05:01 PM
dodger

Quote:
So you're saying Phil Neville was a better player than George Best?

I'm talking about football ability not medals in the bank.
I think it says something if you play for this club and have more medals than anybody who ever played here. If you think that counts for nothing then more fool you.

Unread 04-01-2008, 05:02 PM
koppas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazw649
Ryan Giggs is a United great. It is undebateable.
Your grammar, on the other hand, is.

Unread 04-01-2008, 05:03 PM
poppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodzy
He probably thinks Pires is a better player than him.
I remember why I had him on ignore now.
Until his injury, Pires was undoubtably the better player. A goal every 3 games, and the highest assists in the Premier League. Probably the reason he won footballer of the year. But apart from all the goals and all the assists, Giggs was better.

Unread 04-01-2008, 05:03 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Ahh that game again. One of those 6 or 7 youtube moments.

Yes I remember that game. The one he started on the bench because of a period of woeful form. The game he kept givig the ball away for the entire time he was on the pitch until he went on to score a great goal against an exhausted Arsenal team in extra-time.
You've finally let the mask slip there mate.
Let the old 'Gooner pretending to be a United Fan' cat out of the bag.

Arsenal were exhausted???....I seem to remember it was us that were down to ten men... us that had bossed the game until Bergkamp's deflected fluke-goal...us that had WON the original tie after Keane's strike was wrongly ruled out for offside.

One of the greatest nights in Uniteds history & you do your best to discredit it!!!

As I said, I think you've accidentally shown your true colours there.
Closed Thread