United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 10-12-2007, 12:04 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc6090
so we are letting our sponsors tell us we should sign now?
Yes and arse are letting us have Fabregas and Adebayor(Gonnertonian's new obsession).

Unread 10-12-2007, 12:06 PM
Spiffy

There's a difference between making something up with no basis in fact and taking an educated guess based on past experience. Yes, I admit I have no links to some journalist saying the same thing. It doesn't make it wrong though. Sorry to confuse you.

Unread 10-12-2007, 12:08 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
There's a difference between making something up with no basis in fact and taking an educated guess based on past experience. Yes, I admit I have no links to some journalist saying the same thing. It doesn't make it wrong though. Sorry to confuse you.
You aren't confusing me by making up transfers that wouldn't happen. Can't remember Arse selling Vieira or Henry in their prime, why would they do so now with by far their best player? still if you wanna just make stuff up to have a bit of a pop, i aint gonna stop you, enjoy yourself.

Unread 10-12-2007, 12:12 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
You aren't confusing me by making up transfers that wouldn't happen. Can't remember Arse selling Vieira or Henry in their prime, why would they do so now with by far their best player? still if you wanna just make stuff up to have a bit of a pop, i aint gonna stop you, enjoy yourself.
They sold Overmars and Anelka because they got a good offer. Who is to say that the offer for Vieira or Henry was that high originally? We'll never know, what we do know is that they sold them whilst still worth £30M between them, despite getting their best out of them. Arsenal are financially astute and if they felt that they could reinvest the money into the team and realistically replace him with someone cheaper, I think that they would. There's no way to prove this one way or another so don't try and get an argument outof this thread.

Unread 10-12-2007, 12:15 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
There's no way to prove this one way or another so don't try and get an argument outof this thread.

Not trying to get an argument, just saying you are making this up, which you are. There's no chance Arse would sell Fabregas for £30 million, no chance in hell. As I say though, if you wanna use a made up point about doing so to have a pop at Hargoand Carrick, you go ahead.

Unread 10-12-2007, 12:19 PM
puressence

Quote:
Not trying to get an argument, just saying you are making this up, which you are. There's no chance Arse would sell Fabregas for 330 million, no chance in hell. As I say though, if you wanna use a made up point about doing so to have a pop at Hargoand Carrick, you go ahead.
330 million ffs you could buy arseanl for that

Unread 10-12-2007, 12:21 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
330 million ffs you could buy arseanl for that
Ooops. You couldn't though.

Unread 10-12-2007, 12:23 PM
Serenity Now

Clearly %@#$&!s. Not sure I'd want him anyway, to be honest. He's become so £#%&!ing lazy, both on and off the pitch.

In fact, Ronaldinho seems to have stopped running almost entirely now; to the degree that it's become almost absurd. He was never hugely active defensively, but he nearly always complied with the tactical demands of the team in putting pressure on the opposition in their own half of the pitch and forcing the ball into wide areas. These days it's like Barca is defending with ten men - something that makes playing positive football very difficult.

This lack of intensity also manifests itself in his attacking actions, where he seems incapable of stepping up a gear from his low base level during the defensive phase. Someone like fat Ronaldo could do this, flicking a switch and moving instantly from first to top gear. Ronaldinho clearly can't.

So instead of aggressively trying to attack the opponent - looking for one-on-one confrontations and the killer pass into space - he keeps it simple, like a lower level player; using his body to shield the ball and playing the continuity pass. And instead of quickly deciding on what option to take - his football instinct meant that the speed of his decision making was one of his greatest strengths - he holds onto it and looks for a simple way to maintain possession.

Then there are the issues with his commitment to training, his late returns from international duty, his ridiculous commercial commitments, his love of the night-life and his reported negative influence on some of the younger players at Barca.

If you could get him to regain his intensity, then he would obviously be a huge asset. But is that still possible?

Unread 10-12-2007, 12:30 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
So instead of aggressively trying to attack the opponent - looking for one-on-one confrontations and the killer pass into space - he keeps it simple, like a lower level player; using his body to shield the ball and playing the continuity pass. And instead of quickly deciding on what option to take - his football instinct meant that the speed of his decision making was one of his greatest strengths - he holds onto it and looks for a simple way to maintain possession.
Yep. Barca have looked a better side this year without him in the side. Especially in the final third, they seem to move the ball around quicker and with more purpose. I though his negative influence on their style of play was evident again last night.

Didn't he miss almost half of all training sessions last season? Ridiculous! I wouldn't want him at OT anyway.

Nice to see Eto'o back finally.

Unread 10-12-2007, 12:38 PM
Zorg

I think he'll go to Milan. Or Chelsea.

Unread 10-12-2007, 12:39 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
I think he'll go to Milan. Or Chelsea.
Yeah, Chelsea or Milan for me.

Unread 10-12-2007, 12:48 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Yep. Barca have looked a better side this year without him in the side. Especially in the final third, they seem to move the ball around quicker and with more purpose. I though his negative influence on their style of play was evident again last night.
He plays like Xavi with sprinkles on. Absurd when you consider the level he was playing at just a couple of years ago.
Quote:
Nice to see Eto'o back finally.
Eto'o has definitely been a big miss. Henry doesn't (yet?) look at all comfortable with what's being asked of him at Barca - both in terms of the positions he has to take up and the intricacy of the football they play.

Unread 10-12-2007, 01:52 PM
Sparky***

He had his chance. £#%&! him.

Unread 10-12-2007, 02:05 PM
borsuk

can he play left back?

btw, i remember jem getting roundly mocked for his 'but can he do it on a wet night at norwich' comment. that was then, this is now and all that, but given ronaldinho's attitude this year you'd have to say 'no, probably not'.

Unread 10-12-2007, 02:48 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
can he play left back?

btw, i remember jem getting roundly mocked for his 'but can he do it on a wet night at norwich' comment. that was then, this is now and all that, but given ronaldinho's attitude this year you'd have to say 'no, probably not'.

Jem was saying he was shit all the time and very occasionally played well. We know this isn't the case. Also, there aren't as many cold Tuesday nights in December as people think. I'd gladly drop a world class player for the horrific nights, we rotate the squad anyway. Having said all that, I don't want him, I'd rather have Eto.

Unread 10-12-2007, 04:54 PM
Grimson

There's an ad running for a DVD called 'Ronaldinho: A Day in the Life.' The first clip is him giving an interview, and he says (subtitled), "There's nothing like having a ball nearby when you're not moving."

I would be most grateful for any theories about what the £#%&! that means.

Unread 10-12-2007, 05:04 PM
Harfynn Teuport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
There's an ad running for a DVD called 'Ronaldinho: A Day in the Life.' The first clip is him giving an interview, and he says (subtitled), "There's nothing like having a ball nearby when you're not moving."

He probably uses a ball for a pillow in bed and then it doubles as an ottoman when he's up.

Unread 10-12-2007, 05:11 PM
Zorg

Quote:

I would guess that 'when you're not moving' is a bad translation of sub Brazilian Portguese expression.
Probably.

Unread 10-12-2007, 06:04 PM
borsuk

Quote:

'a ball' - big dressy party with loads of young lasses in posh frocks
'not moving' - insisting on getting your gargantuan salary for the rest of your contract even though you're not half the player you were

hth

Unread 10-12-2007, 07:20 PM
koppas

Quote:
I think there's no chance. If he does leave Barca it'll be for Chelsea.
Incorrect.

He is off to Milan.
Closed Thread