Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 06-12-2007, 11:10 PM
denis the king

Default Munich Tribute Gets Go Ahead ... OFFICIAL

From www.manutd.com

Default Munich Tribute Gets Go Ahead
United unveil Munich tributes

Manchester United have announced plans to mark the 50th anniversary of the Munich air disaster on 6 February 2008.

* United players to wear a retro 1950s-style kit against Manchester City on 10 February
* Permanent, free exhibition telling the story of the Busby Babes
* South Stand tunnel to be renamed the Munich Tunnel
* Memorial service involving survivors, relatives of those who died, guests and fans
* MUTV to broadcast free-to-air on 6 February

The centrepiece of the commemorations will be the creation of a free, permanent exhibition telling the story of the Busby Babes. The exhibition, to be unveiled in the South Stand tunnel at Old Trafford (which will be renamed the Munich Tunnel), will be open to all visitors and designed to educate younger fans about the Busby Babes' early triumphs, the tragedy of the crash, the rebuilding process and United's eventual European Cup triumph in 1968.

A memorial service involving survivors and relatives of those who died will be held in the Manchester Suite at Old Trafford. The service will coincide with the moment in 1958 that the plane carrying players and staff back from Belgrade crashed on take-off at Munich airport. Details outlining how United fans can join invited guests will be published in January.

In addition, United's subscription TV channel, MUTV, will broadcast a series of exclusive, in-depth features and documentaries on 6 February, when all programmes will be free-to-air and without advertisements to Sky and cable customers.

The Reds' closest home match to the anniversary is on 10 February against neig

United unveil Munich tributes

support and assistance in the immediate aftermath of the crash and whose former goalkeeper, Frank Swift – a journalist on the ill-fated flight – died in the wreckage. Following a request some months ago, the Premier League has agreed to set aside its usual rules on kit design to allow the team to wear a special 1950s-style kit in the match, free from sponsorship and numbered 1 to 11. The kit is a one-off and will not be available for purchase. All fans present at the 10 February game will receive a memento of the occasion.

Club Chief Executive David Gill said: “The Munich air crash was not just about Manchester United. It devastated the lives of the 23 families of those who died, as well as those who never played again and united a city in grief. Those who are able to remember it say it was Manchester’s 'Kennedy moment': everyone knows where they were when the terrible news came through.

“It is a heavy responsibility that those of us who work for this great Club and those who live and work in this magnificent city have to show respect, admiration and regret over that loss some five decades ago. I hope the exhibition will enable generations of fans to understand the place Sir Matt and his teams have in the Club’s history, from the birth of the Babes to his crowning achievement in 1968.

“I believe that, in partnership with the families, fans, authorities, Manchester City and our sponsors, we have created a programme that will enable everyone to remember, pay respect to and learn about a wonderful side, cut down in its prime.

“The sincere thanks of the Club go to AIG and Nike for their wholehearted backing for the kit change, and to the Premier League for allowing us to mark the event in a unique way.”

Unread 06-12-2007, 11:12 PM
1MUFC

i could cry looking at the clock on south east quad

Unread 06-12-2007, 11:13 PM
Camel

Thumbs up

congrats on the work you did on this dennis.

i hope tufty gets what he deserves.

Unread 06-12-2007, 11:19 PM
Ed Sullivan

Thumbs up

Well done mate, great news...gonna be a tear jerker though

Don't let people tell you it's 'scouse'. This is once in 50 years...alot won't be around for 75/100th.

Unread 06-12-2007, 11:21 PM
shyteds

Is it true city will have a banner with something like “Manchester City - United in grief" on it?

shadowplay

fantastic news.

promises to be an incredibly poignant day, and one none us will ever forget

waynes ear's

great news and well done denis

*maybe we can get assurances the club wont be selling that kit

Unread 06-12-2007, 11:24 PM
Ed Sullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
great news and well done denis

*maybe we can get assurances the club wont be selling that kit
even if they do you know some @#%&! will end up with it on ebay.

Unread 06-12-2007, 11:26 PM
Enjoying Insanity

Brilliant work Denis.

The tribute should be what United are all about, class. Minutes silence and the Kit will be a perfect way of remembering the Babes without Scouse mawkishness.

As for that @#%&! from Runcorn, don't get me started......

Unread 06-12-2007, 11:29 PM
shyteds

Will it be a min silence or a min celebrated?

Think the celebration of the babes should be made.

Unread 06-12-2007, 11:30 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyteds
Will it be a min silence or a min celebrated?

Think the celebration of the babes should be made.
silence

Unread 06-12-2007, 11:34 PM
denis the king

I was told a minutes applause at the request of City as they were 'concerned' that a minority of the knuckle draggers would disrupt a silence.

It also says in the statement the shirt WILL NOT be offered for sale

Unread 06-12-2007, 11:37 PM
Nero

Absolutely top £#%&!ing work. You've done a great thing denis.

Unread 06-12-2007, 11:39 PM
believe

great news denis. i was only sceptical because i never thought the authorities woul let this happen. fair play to you mate this should be a fantastic night.

Unread 06-12-2007, 11:47 PM
Enjoying Insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis the king
I was told a minutes applause at the request of City as they were 'concerned' that a minority of the knuckle draggers would disrupt a silence.

It also says in the statement the shirt WILL NOT be offered for sale
It should be a silence.

They deserve that respect.

And if City £#%&! it up, well it's up to them to get their house in order.

Unread 06-12-2007, 11:54 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoying Insanity
It should be a silence.

They deserve that respect.

And if City £#%&! it up, well it's up to them to get their house in order.
let's give city thier due i am pretty positive they will respect this.

Unread 07-12-2007, 12:29 AM
42ndstreet irregular

Thumbs up

Great work Denis

Unread 07-12-2007, 12:40 AM
livelylobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MUFC
i could cry looking at the clock on south east quad
Please dont call it that. I think you will find that its affectionately known as the scoreboard end. Not K-stand and definitely not south east quad.

Jesus... when did anyone start calling it that?

Your first season? Do you cry when you spill your M&M's in your liccle quad seat?

Unread 07-12-2007, 12:41 AM
1MUFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by livelylobster
Please dont call it that. I think you will find that its affectionately known as the scoreboard end. Not K-stand and definitely not south east quad.

Jesus... when did anyone start calling it that?

Your first season? Do you cry when you spill your M&M's in your liccle quad seat?
alright ffs, chill out, pardon me for saying that. I have a seson ticket in k stand and have attacked many, many away fans under that clock so get on that.

Unread 07-12-2007, 12:43 AM
livelylobster

Soz mate didnt mean to offend.
Closed Thread