United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 11-04-2007, 08:44 PM
Whalefish

Default 17-20million in the Summer

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...td/6546939.stm

Good grief.

He'll be our only buy. We'll be lucky to have any cash for a striker. Perhaps we'll swap Gabby for Eidur at Barca?

Unread 11-04-2007, 08:47 PM
Serenity Now

Well, apparently we are in for Gudjohnsen. Best part of £30m for those two

Unread 11-04-2007, 08:48 PM
Whalefish

I'm not slating Hargreaves, I rate the lad.

However that fee for what he'll bring to the side is £#%&!ing stupid.

We need 3/4 in the Summer. Where's the cash coming from? If we sign Hargreaves I can see us desperately trying to scrape some cash together for a striker.

It looks like an all eggs into one basket scenario to me and that's concerning since we need to improve the depth of our squad by more than one.

Unread 11-04-2007, 08:51 PM
shadowplay

In truth, we need 2 central midfielders, a winger and possibly 2 strikers.

Unfortunately, i can't see us getting players in in those positions.

Hargreaves will surely arrive, but he won't be enough.

Unread 11-04-2007, 08:53 PM
legendary saf

Dear oh dear....

We need another winger more than a striker IMO.

Nani is our man, can play on both wings, can also cover upfront. £#%&! Gudjohnsen.

At the least in the summer we should sign Nani and Hargreaves we obviously need another 1 or two experienced players but with Rossi, Pique and Evans coming back it will be quite a strong squad.

Unread 11-04-2007, 08:55 PM
Whalefish

It seems Pique wants to remain in Spain. Recent quotes don't suggest he's eager to return.

I've yet to hear anything from Fergie to say either Rossi or Evans will remain at Utd next season.

Nani is apparently about to sign a new deal with Lisbon. Was in the rags at the weekend.

As for not needing a new striker if rumours are correct they've had enough of Saha and a new forward is being targetted. But if you look at the links they're hardly the cream of Europe. Mind you there is a real lack of quality strikers atm.

Unread 11-04-2007, 09:01 PM
borsuk

Default i doubt it will be that much

at least up front. there will be add-ons for appearances, trophies etc.

i think he's crucial, tbh. we've got the defence sorted, imho, and he will be the last piece in the jigsaw for central m/f. with ronnie, park and giggs (for another year) we're ok for wingers, though we'll need one in a year and so it's really just up front we need to think about. the obvious thing to do would be to sell saha, since we can't rely on him and spend on a replacement. rossi should get his chance but we'll need a striker even if smith maintains the form he showed last night. eidur? not for me - lacks pace. torres? may well struggle in the premiership. so that leaves huntelaar for, what, 12 million? or, alternatively, nani to free giggs to support rooney.

Unread 11-04-2007, 09:10 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

I really think we will make a move for Defoe

Unread 11-04-2007, 09:11 PM
shadowplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
It seems Pique wants to remain in Spain. Recent quotes don't suggest he's eager to return.

I've yet to hear anything from Fergie to say either Rossi or Evans will remain at Utd next season.

Nani is apparently about to sign a new deal with Lisbon. Was in the rags at the weekend.

As for not needing a new striker if rumours are correct they've had enough of Saha and a new forward is being targetted. But if you look at the links they're hardly the cream of Europe. Mind you there is a real lack of quality strikers atm.
Was thinking the same about Pique.

Seems to have settled down quite well over, and would most likely be reluctant to return to Manchester next season.I reckon he's a goner.

As for Rossi and Evans-Rossi has recently stated that he intends to see out the remainder of his contract at United, which runs until 2010.What he intends to do, and what Fergie intends to do are totally different matters though, i have a slight fear that he won't come back.

Though, I'm full sure that young Evans will.He has been superb for Sundderland by all accounts, and has excelled when donning the green of Northern Ireland.Fergie hasn't said much, but i think he has high hopes for the lad.

Wouldn't be too £#%&!ed off if Saha was sent packing.Don't get me wrong, he can be superb on his day, but you just can trust the lad and its too big a risk to be taking going into a new season unsure of whether or not the lad will make 5 games in a row.

Though when i hear whispers of a certain little £#%&!wit from Spurs arriving to 'bolster' our striking capabilities, i really do get worried.

Unread 11-04-2007, 09:16 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
I really think we will make a move for Defoe

I'd rather have Mido.

Unread 11-04-2007, 09:19 PM
forzagarza

Quote:
Was in the rags at the weekend.
United are the rags though so surely that is a positive sign.

Unread 11-04-2007, 09:26 PM
edwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrick

I'd rather have Mido.
Rather have Dido than Defoe

Unread 11-04-2007, 09:38 PM
Rhodzy

Quote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...td/6546939.stm

Good grief.

He'll be our only buy. We'll be lucky to have any cash for a striker. Perhaps we'll swap Gabby for Eidur at Barca?
I don't think he'll be our only buy
Quote:

Pique said he would like to return but if its just as a bit part player he would want of move, he and fergie are very close

Unread 11-04-2007, 09:51 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowplay
In truth, we need 2 central midfielders, a winger and possibly 2 strikers.

Unfortunately, i can't see us getting players in in those positions.

Hargreaves will surely arrive, but he won't be enough.
I don't think we need two strikers. If we start next season with Saha, Rossi, Rooney, Solskjaer and one other then that will be plenty, especially as Giggs and Ronaldo can play there at a push.

Another midfielder is important. We need to avoid ever having to play O'Shea in midfield again. Doesn't have to be someone expensive (certainly not 17-20m) but we need another body in that position as cover.

Another alternative to Scholes or Giggs in terms of a creative player between the midfield and the forwards would be good, too. Someone like Daniel Carvalho would be dirt cheap and cover both positions.

Unread 11-04-2007, 09:57 PM
Luffy

Pique knows he wont make it at Utd based on the high level of competition. His best hope is a bench warmer if we sell Silvestre or some other bit part player. But he knows he won't be near first choice for at least 5 years and even then theres no guarantees.

Fergie has given no intention that he plans to sell Rossi, the best indication that he wants to keep him is the way he has treated him this season.

He planned to keep him until Newcastle put a good offer on the table - instead of him getting experience in our first team, he could get it elsewhere and come back in January ready to bolster the squad. It didnt go to plan cos Newcastle decided they couldnt drop actual Newcastle employees for a 19 yr old Utd player who is only there for a few months.

He comes back, and Fergie intends to hold onto him until Parma ask for him and he chooses to go.

On top of that, the way Fergie was prepping him into the first team last season was a clear show of faith in the lad - and he did well for himself.

so there is no hint that Rossi has blown his chance here. except that he has many players in his way and his agents wants him in italy. but he should make it.

Unread 11-04-2007, 09:57 PM
rebelcountyred

I wonder if fergie will rethink his bid for hargreaves after tonights performance, i don't mean to say that he should judge him on tonights game but surely he will see that he is not worth 20m, 12/13m perhaps. Gattuso was far more influential tonight, worth a cheeky bid?

Unread 11-04-2007, 10:02 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
I don't think we need two strikers. If we start next season with Saha, Rossi, Rooney, Solskjaer and one other then that will be plenty, especially as Giggs and Ronaldo can play there at a push.

Another midfielder is important. We need to avoid ever having to play O'Shea in midfield again. Doesn't have to be someone expensive (certainly not 17-20m) but we need another body in that position as cover.

Another alternative to Scholes or Giggs in terms of a creative player between the midfield and the forwards would be good, too. Someone like Daniel Carvalho would be dirt cheap and cover both positions.
i've got his email address shall i drop him a line?

Unread 11-04-2007, 10:03 PM
shadowplay

Quote:

I said possibly two strikers, as i have a slight feeling that we may see the last of Louis in the summer.If so, he will obviously have to be replaced, as well as bringing in another striker, as we are short on numbers as it is.On saying that, perhaps Rossi will come back and only one striker will be needed.

Another midfielder, as you quite rightly say, is what is needed most, and it looks as though Hargreaves will be the lad to arrive.I reckon he would be a good buy, but what role he would play is difficult to call.

Unread 11-04-2007, 10:06 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowplay
I said possibly two strikers, as i have a slight feeling that we may see the last of Louis in the summer.If so, he will obviously have to be replaced, as well as bringing in another striker, as we are short on numbers as it is.On saying that, perhaps Rossi will come back and only one striker will be needed.

Another midfielder, as you quite rightly say, is what is needed most, and it looks as though Hargreaves will be the lad to arrive.I reckon he would be a good buy, but what role he would play is difficult to call.
Well, if Hargreaves comes in for the fee suggested it is hard to see how we could afford another couple of players. Perhaps the funds raised from likely sales of Richardson, Heinze and maybe Smith will cover a decent forward but, like i say, I think we need another one. Some would argue an understudy to Neville wouldn't hurt.

Unread 11-04-2007, 10:15 PM
shadowplay

Quote:
Well, if Hargreaves comes in for the fee suggested it is hard to see how we could afford another couple of players. Perhaps the funds raised from likely sales of Richardson, Heinze and maybe Smith will cover a decent forward but, like i say, I think we need another one. Some would argue an understudy to Neville wouldn't hurt.
Well, i do hope that we concentrate on the areas needing covering, rather than forking out a ridiculous sum for the young lad at Southampton.The lad may have some talent, but is his signing necessary at the moment?perhaps if Heinze is shipped out, but to be honest, I'd rather stick with Evra and have john or Micky as cover, if both are still at the club, that is.

As for cover for Neville.Surely Simpson will return and get a look in next season?I haven't seen too much of the lad i must admit, but he's highly regarded and i do think will be back next season.Bardsley will most likely permanently move to Villa, but, as with left back, I'd be more inclined to stick with the options we have and take Danny back rather than sign a new one.
Closed Thread