United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 21-02-2017, 09:40 PM
TheFatGoth

Talking Giggs - "I don't think there's enough British managers at the moment,"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39039409

Quote:
"If you don't get the chance, you don't get the chance to prove what you can do and see what you can do with a talented team,"

"As I say, there are quality foreign coaches as well. I just think on the balance, there's too many foreigners at the moment and British coaches probably just don't get the chances."

Unread 21-02-2017, 09:42 PM
Billy Redface

Shut up, Giggsy

Unread 21-02-2017, 10:10 PM
My Name is Keith

Give over giggsy- there's too many British managers if anything. Pulis, fat Sam, Moyes? You want more of that!?

There's not enough talented British managers or rather, there are no talented British managers is more accurate. Stick to building shit hotels pal.

Unread 21-02-2017, 11:00 PM
Ethers

I actually think he has a bit of a point, but he should be talking about young British managers.

Just seems like certain British managers can walk into a job whenever they want, regardless of how shite they've done in their last position. Would argue that these £#%&!ers are more to blame for impacting on the prospects of young British managers than any foreigners.

Unread 21-02-2017, 11:05 PM
armchair

i find the guy so bland

roy trolls him

Unread 21-02-2017, 11:08 PM
Cream

Has he considered taking a job as, oh i dunno, a manager?

Unread 21-02-2017, 11:10 PM
sa7

Tell you what Giggsy, if you're so good then take over at a club on the bones of their arse in the fourth tier.

Work on an extremely tight budget, get players in on free transfers, loanees and youth team kids (provided your employers can afford to run an academy).

Then work for a couple of years moulding that team to cope with the rigours of a 46 game season. Midweek slug outs in some god forsaken provincial market town in the driving rain and howling wind. Electric heaters in the changing rooms because the central heating can't be used for budget purposes. Sharing the training ground with local schools and colleges to save a few pennies.

Put the time in and show what you can do and then hopefully a team at the next tier will notice your work and think maybe you could bring your talents to the next level of the game.

Oh no, you just want to walk into a nice cushy job in the Premier League because you're a famous name and that's your right.

Unread 21-02-2017, 11:11 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa7
Tell you what Giggsy, if you're so good then take over at a club on the bones of their arse in the fourth tier.

Work on an extremely tight budget, get players in on free transfers, loanees and youth team kids (provided your employers can afford to run an academy).

Then work for a couple of years moulding that team to cope with the rigours of a 46 game season. Midweek slug outs in some god forsaken provincial market town in the driving rain and howling wind. Electric heaters in the changing rooms because the central heating can't be used for budget purposes. Sharing the training ground with local schools and colleges to save a few pennies.

Put the time in and show what you can do and then hopefully a team at the next tier will notice your work and think maybe you could bring your talents to the next level of the game.

Oh no, you just want to walk into a nice cushy job in the Premier League because you're a famous name and that's your right.

Booom.

Unread 21-02-2017, 11:25 PM
ScholesGingerSheen

I know this board boils it's piss at Giggs for whatever reason, but the fact is if he went to some fourth tier team and did well with it, he'd still never be qualified enough for this board to accept him in the United job. If he went to a Swansea or whatever and did a job at a level of Luis Enrique pre Barca (40% win percentage at Roma and Celta) or Mourinho pre Porto (54% with Benfica, 45% iwith Leiria), this board would be full of posts absolutely £#%&!ing raging that he's not qualified for the United job.

The Premier league is obsessed with the idea that only previously successful managers are qualified to manage top clubs.

Unread 21-02-2017, 11:27 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholesGingerSheen
I know this board boils it's piss at Giggs for whatever reason, but the fact is if he went to some fourth tier team and did well with it, he'd still never be qualified enough for this board to accept him in the United job. If he went to a Swansea or whatever and did a job at a level of Luis Enrique pre Barca (40% win percentage at Roma and Celta) or Mourinho pre Porto (54% with Benfica, 45% iwith Leiria), this board would be full of posts absolutely £#%&!ing raging that he's not qualified for the United job.

The Premier league is obsessed with the idea that only previously successful managers are qualified to manage top clubs.
The third, fourth tier thing would only be the first stepping stone. Then a bigger club....then a bigger club....then maybe United. It's how it should be. What is everyone's rush?

Unread 21-02-2017, 11:31 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:

No, it's fine - let him have a go at a top club without any managerial experience. As long as it's not united then I'm not arsed.

Unread 21-02-2017, 11:34 PM
sa7

Quote:

The idea is cutting your teeth at the lower level with all the accompanying muck and bullets.

If it's good enough for Alex Ferguson then it's good enough for anybody.

Unread 21-02-2017, 11:35 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
The third, fourth tier thing would only be the first stepping stone. Then a bigger club....then a bigger club....then maybe United. It's how it should be. What is everyone's rush?
Are there any current top managers that have followed this route?

Unread 21-02-2017, 11:36 PM
Buck

Quote:

Why does the United job have to come into factor with Giggs?

It didn't with Fergie's other ex players who went into management.

If he has anything about him and does well he can progress up the ladder. It may not be enough to get the United job but so what.

What's stopping him just testing himself in management in a new environment and with different challenges?

Unread 21-02-2017, 11:39 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
Well, precisely. Few would object to him being considered for the United job once he had shown some actual evidence that he might be up to it. So far, that is pretty scant.

Unread 21-02-2017, 11:40 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Jose Mourinho?

Unread 21-02-2017, 11:40 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Most top managers aren't British.

It's not to say they MUST take this route, but they talk like there are no opportunities. There are. You just don't want any of them.

Unread 21-02-2017, 11:41 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa7
The idea is cutting your teeth at the lower level with all the accompanying muck and bullets.

If it's good enough for Alex Ferguson then it's good enough for anybody.
Fergie went straight into the second division

Unread 21-02-2017, 11:41 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Jose Mourinho?
And there's certainly a recently retired manager who did. Remind me of his name again.......

Unread 21-02-2017, 11:43 PM
Kaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
And there's certainly a recently retired manager who did. Remind me of his name again.......
Pochettino possibly heading down that route as well
Closed Thread