United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 13-01-2012, 07:48 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
Those are easy excuses. Rio's backpass was terrible against Benfica and even after his clearance we still could have defended. The Basel one was weird but it could just as easily have gone the same way if he'd pushed it away with a hand. He was never going to be able to hold it. We were shite. I'm just not having that we went out of Europe because of him. He was one of many problems.
if we had beaten Benfica we'd have qualified, the reason we didn't was because of De Gea's £#%&!-up

Unread 13-01-2012, 07:48 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
We didn't play *that* badly at home to Benfica, tbf. It was stupid individual errors that did for us there

We went out because of our two matches against Basel. Both utterly horrific
agreed, stupid individual error by De Gea

Unread 13-01-2012, 07:49 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
agreed, stupid individual error by De Gea
The other goal they scored wasn't any better from us, tbh

Unread 13-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
if we had beaten Benfica we'd have qualified, the reason we didn't was because of De Gea's £#%&!-up
Right, because the game ended at that moment? We had 30 minutes at home to score another goal and didn't. Let's put it down to one bad clearance tho.

Be honest, we didn't advance because we were shite through and through.

Unread 13-01-2012, 07:59 PM
Argentina

Quote:
In truth, what has it actually cost us thus far? Most of De Gea's errors were in games we won, and the Newcastle game was lost with or without Lindy's shakiness. 1 point against Blackburn is all that comes to mind?
Linders wasn't shaky against Newcastle. Jones was £#%&!ing awful. Linders didn't have a prayer for any of the three (perhaps the last one he could have come and claimed).

Quote:
Those are easy excuses. Rio's backpass was terrible against Benfica and even after his clearance we still could have defended. The Basel one was weird but it could just as easily have gone the same way if he'd pushed it away with a hand. He was never going to be able to hold it. We were shite. I'm just not having that we went out of Europe because of him. He was one of many problems.
Pretty sure it was Jones' backpass and the boot away in Switzerland was due to him being on his heels. He didn't dive for it. He stood still and it was a 'save' that a 5-a-side keeper with no gloves on would make. If he was on his toes he could have got down for that as a standard training ground take.

Unread 13-01-2012, 08:04 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentina
Pretty sure it was Jones' backpass and the boot away in Switzerland was due to him being on his heels. He didn't dive for it. He stood still and it was a 'save' that a 5-a-side keeper with no gloves on would make. If he was on his toes he could have got down for that as a standard training ground take.
this

Unread 13-01-2012, 08:05 PM
Neo

Thumbs up

Bring back Bosnich.

Unread 13-01-2012, 08:16 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentina
Linders wasn't shaky against Newcastle. Jones was £#%&!ing awful. Linders didn't have a prayer for any of the three (perhaps the last one he could have come and claimed).

3rd goal was very poor. The ball came from the other half and landed inside his penalty spot without him giving a shout but inexplicably coming for it at the last second, leaving his goal empty. It was pretty bad. You could argue his footwork wasn't great for the second, too. Nice looking dive but he may have got it with better footwork.

It doesn't matter if it was Jones's backpass, I think you're right, but either way he bounced it back which meant De Gea couldn't just put his foot through it. That's a harsh assessment of the Basel goal, too. It wasn't as straightforward as you make out. He had Smallers lying injured at the top of the six-yard box and Nani ran across his path as the across came in. Still a mistake but hardly a game-dooming clanger. Streller finished with nobody within 5 yards of him in the box, after one cross had already come in from the other side. Plenty of errors to go around.

Unread 14-01-2012, 05:28 AM
Stickman

De Gea will be quality, he has all the attributes, ffs anyone not expecting some individual errors from a 20 year old imported goalkeeper needs their head testing.

I found the signing bizarre in that hes Spanish and 20, had he been near 30 I could have understood, you may get those 5-7 excellent seasons out of the finished article, but who really believes he'll be here at 27 say? If hes that good he'll be back to Spain like a rat up a drain pipe. For this kind of signing to pay off imo he'd need to be here until 30 to see some of his better years. it just doesnt make much sense to me, especially under the current penny pinching regime, there is of couse he resale value given his age of course.

Unread 14-01-2012, 07:18 AM
borsuk

Quote:
In truth, what has it actually cost us thus far? Most of De Gea's errors were in games we won, and the Newcastle game was lost with or without Lindy's shakiness. 1 point against Blackburn is all that comes to mind?
Quote:
Right, because the game ended at that moment? We had 30 minutes at home to score another goal and didn't. Let's put it down to one bad clearance tho.

Be honest, we didn't advance because we were shite through and through.
not exactly being consistent here, are you grims? the first post you're suggesting everything else would have been the same without the £#%&!-up (including blackburn, where we'd come back from 2 down and were chasing a win with blackburn all over the place), but in the second you're suggesting everything could have changed because there was still time to go...

moments like those change the attitude of the team (both teams), the crowd, everything, it's impossible to say what would have happened otherwise. but the point is united are a huge club playing high-pressure games and shouldn't be going in to games uncertain how the keeper is going to play, it's ludicrous.

the choice made about keepers (de gea - young, from a completely different league, not even a regular international, inexperienced, not a fluent English speaker, coming with a big price tag and following one of the best keepers in the world) was very high-risk. i'm still astonished they went for him rather than a safer/more experienced option like the dutch fella or rene adler.

Unread 14-01-2012, 02:44 PM
thenorthwillriseagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
not exactly being consistent here, are you grims? the first post you're suggesting everything else would have been the same without the £#%&!-up (including blackburn, where we'd come back from 2 down and were chasing a win with blackburn all over the place), but in the second you're suggesting everything could have changed because there was still time to go...

moments like those change the attitude of the team (both teams), the crowd, everything, it's impossible to say what would have happened otherwise. but the point is united are a huge club playing high-pressure games and shouldn't be going in to games uncertain how the keeper is going to play, it's ludicrous.

the choice made about keepers (de gea - young, from a completely different league, not even a regular international, inexperienced, not a fluent English speaker, coming with a big price tag and following one of the best keepers in the world) was very high-risk. i'm still astonished they went for him rather than a safer/more experienced option like the dutch fella or rene adler.
if we passed on him and the more experienced option retired in a few years where does that leave us
buying youth is not a bad thing and that's why we've bought a good older keeper as well

Unread 14-01-2012, 03:28 PM
Pop

It's on. It's £#%&!ING ON!!!

Quote:
Last Updated: January 14, 2012 13:58

Cristiano Ronaldo has put Europe's top clubs on alert by claiming he will leave Real Madrid when his contract ends in 2015. Speaking to Spanish sports daily Marca, Ronaldo, 27 next month will be 30 years old if he does
indeed chose to leave the Bernabeu and feels he will have plenty to offer prospective new clubs.

"I am young, feel good and I train and eat carefully. As with Manchester my time in Madrid will some day come to an end and I will be ready to start a new chapter in my career. Italy, England, Portugal, who knows?"
Whilst an emotional return to Old Trafford has for some time been mooted, Ronaldo remained coy on the destination of his next possible club .

"I enjoyed my time very much with Manchester United and remain dear friends with Sir Alex Ferguson. I talked with him at Christmas and he invited me to watch a game in 2012".

"I respect all the great clubs of Europe. Milan, Juventus, Manchester United, Munich but I also respect Real Madrid and I am still a Real Madrid player until 2015. We will see"

Unread 14-01-2012, 03:56 PM
thenorthwillriseagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop
It's on. It's £#%&!ING ON!!!

Unread 14-01-2012, 05:08 PM
Grimson

Quote:
No, I clearly conceded he cost us a point against Blackburn because there wasn't much time to recover.

Against Benfica and especially Basle a lot of other blame has to be spread around for not getting the results.

Unread 14-01-2012, 05:29 PM
dunk

Swap for Rooney

Unread 14-01-2012, 05:53 PM
Sloane

he's not coming back. ever.

get over it

Unread 14-01-2012, 08:47 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloane
he's not coming back. ever.

get over it
You wet blanket, you

Unread 14-01-2012, 08:51 PM
ScarFace

He'll go to Italy, only reason for england will be cash. He'll wanna do a jose n win all 3 major leagues

Unread 14-01-2012, 08:57 PM
borsuk

Quote:
No, I clearly conceded he cost us a point against Blackburn because there wasn't much time to recover.

Against Benfica and especially Basle a lot of other blame has to be spread around for not getting the results.
but we were back at 2-2 with 10 minutes left - you can't say 'it cost us a point' because we don't know what would have happened. we might have got a third, certainly our tails were up and they were bricking it.

i don't think you can say how many points something cost unless it's the 94th minute or something. all you can do is expect a keeper to perform consistently and to give his back four confidence, the what ifs and what woulds are irrelevant imo.

Unread 14-01-2012, 09:03 PM
Grimson

Quote:
but we were back at 2-2 with 10 minutes left - you can't say 'it cost us a point' because we don't know what would have happened. we might have got a third, certainly our tails were up and they were bricking it.

i don't think you can say how many points something cost unless it's the 94th minute or something. all you can do is expect a keeper to perform consistently and to give his back four confidence, the what ifs and what woulds are irrelevant imo.
I agree that you can't look at events in isolation, tho I can't think why our motivation to score would be any less at 2-3 than at 2-2, unless the argument is that we would be deflated etc after conceding, and that would affect our performance. The gist of the discussion was trying to quantify what De Gea's errors have 'cost' us this season. I must say, you're the first to imply he may have prevented us from scoring a goal.
Closed Thread