United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-11-2010, 03:00 PM
antonin jablonsky

Default Re: 24 years of Fergie tomoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
I remember being sad Atkinson had been sacked. It was only 18 months before we had a top side that had been decimated by injuries and STILL won the cup. Hughes going to everyones dismay didn't help either.

It was only in hindsight you realised the squad was too old and alot of the 'injuries' could be put down to 'conditioning issues'.

Unread 05-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
I remember being sad Atkinson had been sacked. It was only 18 months before we had a top side that had been decimated by injuries and STILL won the cup. Hughes going to everyones dismay didn't help either.

It was only in hindsight you realised the squad was too old and alot of the 'injuries' could be put down to 'conditioning issues'.

Cask conditioned issues ?

Unread 05-11-2010, 03:25 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Tatlock
Cask conditioned issues ?
Cask conditioned pissheads.

Unread 05-11-2010, 03:25 PM
dodger

Quote:

Yep, felt pretty much the same.

The reaction to Whitside and Mcgrath being lodged for Webb and Pallister a few years later was pretty negative too. He got that one mostly right...

Unread 05-11-2010, 03:47 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb

dare say that's some kind of forum in joke. groovy.

the point is not contrary at all. people gloss over 3 entire seasons as being shit. even people who didn't even see United during that time just dismiss the entire period because United won £#%&! all and they can't see the dates on the roll of honour.

the reality was very different. some of my finest United memories are from that period. like winning 6-2 at Goodison at Xmas1977. like greenhoff's Mark Robins header in the semi-final. like Hill and Coppell's braces against City. great times.
the odd good game didn't equate to great times. by and large we were fairly shite under sexton in terms of results and very shite in terms of performance. the tommy doc era is a different matter, mind...

Unread 05-11-2010, 04:01 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
the odd good game didn't equate to great times. by and large we were fairly shite under sexton in terms of results and very shite in terms of performance. the tommy doc era is a different matter, mind...
Indeed. The contrast with the Doc certainly didn't help Dull Dave

Unread 05-11-2010, 04:03 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Indeed. The contrast with the Doc certainly didn't help Dull Dave
The staff felt more stable in their relationships mind.

Unread 05-11-2010, 04:06 PM
dodger

Quote:
The hounding out of Gordon Hill was unforgivable. I wasn't aware of the politics or reasons at the time but he was my favourite player, was highly effective and then one day Sexton flogged him. i couldn't believe it.

Unread 05-11-2010, 04:07 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
The hounding out of Gordon Hill was unforgivable. I wasn't aware of the politics or reasons at the time but he was my favourite player, was highly effective and then one day Sexton flogged him. i couldn't believe it.
Martin Buchan wasn't as much of a fan.

Unread 05-11-2010, 05:11 PM
ziggyman17

Loved the big Ron days.. We were so near yet so far away from winning the title.. If Robbo had'nt got injured as much as he did, Im sure we would have won the title under big Ron.. Ill always love big Ron for signing Jesper Olsen..

Unread 05-11-2010, 05:27 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Martin Buchan wasn't as much of a fan.
Of Gordon Hill? Maybe it was the eternal Norman Wisdom impressions

Unread 05-11-2010, 05:28 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
nonsense. the odd good game equated to very good times. that xmas trip to everton is one of the great memories of my united youth. that greenhoff header was a great £#%&!ing moment.

problem with this popularist sweeping of sexton under the carpet is that it consigns 3 years of united to the dustbin,when in reality those pre-pubescent early adolescent years were some of the times of my life.

but oh no, we weren't world beaters, it was too strategic - not the United way - and we won £#%&! all, so none of the great moments should be celebrated or even just fondly remembered apparently. well %@#$&!s to that. the a great line about clocking on in sexton's factory in The Red Army Years. but I'd give anything to go back and relive some of those games tbh. and i don't care if they haven't been blessed with the red tinted glow of lasting approval. as I said, some of the football under Ferguson, from the outset right up to date, has been £#%&!ing gash. and some of the Atkinson era was £#%&!ing gash as well. does anybody really think the Docherty era was so good just because of the football? of course not. and don't forget that @#%&! took us down as well btw.

this overview is not necessarily my black and white assessment of any of these periods of United's modern history

Unread 05-11-2010, 05:51 PM
borsuk

again, there have been some £#%&! games and periods under fergie. he's been here over two decades, of course there have. but the great far outweighs the poor. under sexton it was the other way round. and it wasn't just tactical, it was the whole pace of the side, the players bought and sold, the attitude of the team. the team was infinitely better to watch under tommy doc and ron than it was under that charisma vaccuum.

haven't seen anyone denying that there were some good times, or trying to chuck the whole time into the bin, not sure what you're on about tbh.

Unread 05-11-2010, 05:52 PM
andyroo

£#%&!'s sake TT. Nobody said they shouldn't be remembered fondly. You seem to be saying we shouldn't remember Ferguson fondly, which is just nuts.

Unread 05-11-2010, 06:02 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
£#%&!'s sake TT. Nobody said they shouldn't be remembered fondly. You seem to be saying we shouldn't remember Ferguson fondly, which is just nuts.
eh? i was just saying that patience has been shown with Ferguson's tactical whimmery.

this is in stark contrast to the way Sexton was shown the door at the end of his third season for being over-cautious, and the way that whole hole period is dismissed as like a black whole in United's modern history.

i remember that period very fondly, and that includes a fair bit of the football. the Ferguson era has taught a lot of people more about football than they would ever have given themselves the chance to learn imo. funny to think that large sections of the support would've happily seen him £#%&!ed off at the end of his third season as well.

Unread 05-11-2010, 06:58 PM
Mr_Ed

Wonder what this place would have been like on his appointment 24 years ago...

Remember the day well and knowing how well he'd done at Aberdeen was a good omen.

In my time supporting United (84 onwards) we'd only won 1 trophy.

Unread 05-11-2010, 07:35 PM
HarkNowHear

But

who will admit to chanting (Pure and his dyslexia aside)(and a different era)

"Ferguson out"

I did, we were £#%&!in piss poor.

Thank £#%&! the board didnt listen and I thank the wizard for all he has enabled the club to write into the history books.

Unread 05-11-2010, 07:42 PM
red in cumbria

Oh yes - I would say that on New Year's Day 1990, 80 maybe 90 per cent of fans wanted him gone..........

The rest is history. Rarely have so many been happier to be so wrong

Unread 05-11-2010, 07:46 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Oh yes - I would say that on New Year's Day 1990, 80 maybe 90 per cent of fans wanted him gone..........

The rest is history. Rarely have so many been happier to be so wrong
New Years Day 89 is my first full memory of United. Some bits and bobs from earlier, but that game

Unread 05-11-2010, 08:10 PM
red @rmy

Toast to Ferie.
Closed Thread