United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-01-2008, 08:12 PM
Spiffy

Default Martin O'Neill

Is it safe to say that his reputation has been tarnsihed since coming to Villa? He was lauded as the greatest manager in the world nopt long ago. His teams don't look too great to me, is it too early or has he been overrated? His record at Celtic wasn't as great as people make out.

Unread 05-01-2008, 08:20 PM
wee man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
Is it safe to say that his reputation has been tarnsihed since coming to Villa? He was lauded as the greatest manager in the world nopt long ago. His teams don't look too great to me, is it too early or has he been overrated? His record at Celtic wasn't as great as people make out.
He's a decent manager - not top notch and I would have been genuinely worried if he had got the United job. His record in a 2 team league is over-rated but his reputation was enhanced by getting Celtic to the UEFA Cup Final - that disguised the fact that (I think) Rangers had a better domestic record during his time there.

Unread 05-01-2008, 08:25 PM
Father Christmas

O'Neill is a solid manager. But there will never be another Sir Alex Ferguson. When he retires we will be much less successful than we were under him you can guarantee that.

Unread 05-01-2008, 08:27 PM
Tiberian

Pathetic attitude from his team today, no courage or attempt to win the match. We were bad, they were appalling.

Mellberg at right back? He is scared of the football!

Unread 05-01-2008, 08:32 PM
Lou_Macari_Chippy

Not impressed but it would be interesting to see what he could do at a club with money.

Unread 05-01-2008, 08:33 PM
Argentina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Christmas
O'Neill is a solid manager. But there will never be another Sir Alex Ferguson. When he retires we will be much less successful than we were under him you can guarantee that.
Does that mean you consider Ferguson to be the best manager ever?

Id rate Brian Clough and Matt Busby above him easily.

Unread 05-01-2008, 08:33 PM
armchair

Quote:
Certainly not tarnished. They were certainties for relegation when he arrived and they are currently seventh in the premier league despite having the smallest squad.

Total bullshit post. No-one expected him to bring expansive, beautiful football to brum.

Unread 05-01-2008, 08:36 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Certainly not tarnished. They were certainties for relegation when he arrived and they are currently seventh in the premier league despite having the smallest squad.

Total bullshit post. No-one expected him to bring expansive, beautiful football to brum.
I think there were plenty who saw him as Britains Capello, plenty who expected his teams to try harder, have more passion and have more consistency. I don't know anyone who thought Villa were certainties for relegation either. They were shit and they are marginally better now. Look at the speed with which Sven has improved City and he inherited a much shitter team. OK Sven's spent but he's spent very well.

Unread 05-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan_Tier2
in top 5 managers in uk currently i would say

fergie
wenger
benitez
erikson ( his acumen at club level is awesome if you look through the records)
o'neill

in that order i would say

although in my opinion maurinho would have been 2nd behind fergie prior to getting the sack
Wenger's better than Fergie, you know he is.

Unread 05-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Tiberian

His teams, while successful on occasion have always played horrific football. Too easy to ask what he would build given money, in all likelihood he would stay with the risk free, percentage long ball football that he has always played.

His reputation hinges on the UEFA cup run with Celtic. getting to the final was an excellent performance, but they were dreadful in the CL and Strachan has takn an inferior group of players further in that tournament than O'Neil ever did.

Unread 05-01-2008, 08:41 PM
armchair

Quote:
I think there were plenty who saw him as Britains Capello, plenty who expected his teams to try harder, have more passion and have more consistency. I don't know anyone who thought Villa were certainties for relegation either. They were shit and they are marginally better now. Look at the speed with which Sven has improved City and he inherited a much shitter team. OK Sven's spent but he's spent very well.
Possibly because you are a sociopath with no friends. Where were they in the league when he took over and where are they now? (3 points off your team shitty btw but without any real expenditure - above spurs, blackburn, pompey)

You just post shite regardless of the facts tbf.

Unread 05-01-2008, 08:42 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Possibly because you are a sociopath with no friends. Where were they in the league when he took over and where are they now? (3 points off your team shitty btw but without any real expenditure)

Bit harsh, it's only a football forum Armchair.

Unread 05-01-2008, 08:44 PM
Father Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentina

I rate Clough as probably the best ever. Sir Matt and SAF are hard to separate but you have to remember what Fergie did with Aberdeen.

Unread 05-01-2008, 08:45 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Nobody ever said he was the greatest manager in the world. Where did you hear that from?

Unread 05-01-2008, 08:46 PM
Father Christmas

Quote:
Wenger's better than Fergie, you know he is.
I hope you get a nasty bout of diarrhoea.

Unread 05-01-2008, 08:48 PM
Camel

Quote:
Possibly because you are a sociopath with no friends. Where were they in the league when he took over and where are they now? (3 points off your team shitty btw but without any real expenditure - above spurs, blackburn, pompey)

Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
Nobody ever said he was the greatest manager in the world. Where did you hear that from?
I was using it as a figure of speech to indicate the high esteem with which MON is held. FFS, this was not meant to be a personal attack on MON, it was a general question. If Fergie retired 2 years ago, I think that there would have been more people calling for MON to replace him than there would be now. Would you say that's a fair comment?

armchair

Quote:
Bit harsh, it's only a football forum Armchair.
I heard some people said it was the greatest football forum in the world but looking at some of your recent posts that reputation is tarnished.

Unread 05-01-2008, 08:51 PM
Lou_Macari_Chippy

its really hard to compare managers today because money plays so much of a part in it today than it ever did before.

If fergie all of a sudden had to manage blackburn how do you think he would do?

Impossible to say in todays environment it's so much harder to find those gems that cost little but deliver big like schmikes, ole, ronny johnsen, etc today you need money to compete at the top level but only a few select teams have that luxury so you end up with question marks around managers true potential.

I do know that keane is no manager though. Yorke and Cole? and Yorke trotting around in midfield? McShane? deary me they are shite, i could have put a better team together myself.

Unread 05-01-2008, 08:53 PM
edwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentina

Those two are the best managers ever in my book
Closed Thread