United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 04-12-2014, 12:47 PM
Baron

Timmy on his debut:

Quote:
Former Manchester United goalkeeper Tim Howard has laid bare his first time receiving the famed "hairdryer treatment" from Sir Alex Ferguson, declaring the Old Trafford legend "just about took my head off".

In his new autobiography, 'The Keeper', the current Everton No.1 recalls his debut in English football with the Red Devils.

After arriving in the summer of 2003, the American international debuted against Arsenal in the Community Shield at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff.

However, after seeing Mikael Silvestre hand United a 15th minute lead, Howard conceded just five minutes later, beaten from 35 yards by a Thierry Henry freekick - an effort which in the keeper's words was hit "with such power and precision that it rendered the wall useless."

Unfortunately for Howard, the legendary United boss didn't quite see it that way.

"At halftime, Ferguson just about took my head off" recalls Howard, in 'The Keeper'.

"'A three-man wall!' he shouted, the muscles around his jaw so tight I could see them flex. 'Against Henry! You needed four men on that wall. You've got to think' - he jabbed both index fingers at his forehead - 'when you play this game.'

"'If you cannae handle the f*****g stage' - his Scottish accent was coming through loud and clear - "I'll send you right back to the MLS.'

"His final words to me were soaked in derision. 'You're not in America anymore, son.'"

Nevertheless, despite his first experience with Ferguson's famed dressing room temper, Howard would emerge the hero in Cardiff.

The match ended all square, but Howard took the plaudits in the penalty shoot-out, saving from both Giovanni van Bronckhorst and Robert Pires to earn United the first silverware of the 2003-04 season.

Howard would spend three years at Old Trafford before joining Everton in 2006.

He has since gone on to make 356 Premier League appearances with United and the Toffees.

Unread 04-12-2014, 02:17 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChip
Friedel obviously wanted to keep the USA jersey. Howard coming to the prem would improve him. Straight forward really.
No, it's got nothing to do with the USA jersey. Howard was a mile from Friedel at that time, and Brad had already decided not to play in the 2006 World Cup.

United were speaking with Friedel's agent too at the time. It's everything to do with that.

Unread 04-12-2014, 02:22 PM
Bunker Buster

Is Tim Howard still dining off being knocked out of the World Cup...

Unread 04-12-2014, 02:30 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Is Tim Howard still dining off being knocked out of the World Cup...
Yeah but he had a great game. or 2.

Unread 04-12-2014, 02:31 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigMikeA
Yeah but he had a great game. or 2.
Ended up meeting the president and going on talk shows....

Unread 04-12-2014, 02:33 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:

Imagine the unbearable scenes if they ever got to the final, or won the damn thing. No offense grimson

Unread 04-12-2014, 02:35 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigMikeA
Imagine the unbearable scenes if they ever got to the final, or won the damn thing. No offense grimson
I agree, it would be awful. Howard's even been nominated for Sportsman of the Year because of that one game, where most of the saves weren't even difficult.

Unread 04-12-2014, 02:36 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
I agree, it would be awful. Howard's even been nominated for Sportsman of the Year because of that one game, where most of the saves weren't even difficult.

I honestly believe they'd probably change a state or a towns name in honour if your mob won it...
The giddiness would be fabulous....

Unread 04-12-2014, 02:37 PM
Whip Hubley

Thumbs up

Quote:

Unread 04-12-2014, 02:49 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:

The producers on those shows must have been absolutely shitting it if they went out live.

"He's just barked"

"Like a dog?"

"Yeah like a d......he's just called Montell a @#%&!wipe cut to a break"

Unread 04-12-2014, 02:59 PM
jaffo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
Timmy on his debut:
I have absolutely no recollection of that game at all

Unread 04-12-2014, 03:05 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
The producers on those shows must have been absolutely shitting it if they went out live.

"He's just barked"

"Like a dog?"

"Yeah like a d......he's just called Montell a @#%&!wipe cut to a break"
Been well known for 15 years that he doesn't have those symptoms.

Unread 04-12-2014, 03:12 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Been well known for 15 years that he doesn't have those symptoms.

Fuuuuuuuckkkkkkkk!

Unread 04-12-2014, 03:20 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
No, it's got nothing to do with the USA jersey. Howard was a mile from Friedel at that time, and Brad had already decided not to play in the 2006 World Cup.

United were speaking with Friedel's agent too at the time. It's everything to do with that.
£#%&!ing hell. No harm to Friedal but we seemed determined to £#%&! up the 'keeper position during that period.

Unread 04-12-2014, 08:35 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffo
I have absolutely no recollection of that game at all
My main memory is watching the Djemba twins and thinking "they" would be a big hit at United

Unread 04-12-2014, 10:05 PM
Zorg

Sports a rather excellent upside-down head at the moment, fair play to him.

Unread 04-12-2014, 10:27 PM
ziggyman17

wonder does the £#%&!er write about the balls up he made against Porto... never forgive the £#%&!er for that..........

Unread 04-12-2014, 11:38 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyman17
wonder does the £#%&!er write about the balls up he made against Porto... never forgive the £#%&!er for that..........
Still doesn't alter the fact a corrupt official swindled us, though
Closed Thread