United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 01-05-2024, 10:43 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley View Post
I must have missed that sequence of play tbf.
yes, you must. see above.

Unread 01-05-2024, 10:43 AM
shenwen

Quote:
you see you keep saying this and I keep wondering what you're basing it on. Obviously not his time at united, so I presume it must be all the games you watched of him at Fiorentina? Or maybe Hellas Verona where he was on loan from Club Brugge?

Or was it just the world cup? Quick reminder we bought Karel Poborsky and Kleberson off the back of good world cup performances.
Makes you wonder then why the manager was so keen to get him. Another mistake?

Unread 01-05-2024, 10:45 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen View Post
the mistake has been not using him enough. you can argue about whether he is any good (if you want to come across as an idiot), but... if 10h actually wanted him, what is the £#%&!ing point, if he's not actually going to play him?

Unread 01-05-2024, 10:47 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
back to the age old story of who was available for nothing at the time. see also weghorst.

if the manager really is/was solely responsible for every signing (antony etc) he should have been sacked when we signed weghorst on loan, but we know that's not the case.

Unread 01-05-2024, 10:55 AM
shenwen

Quote:
back to the age old story of who was available for nothing at the time. see also weghorst.

if the manager really is/was solely responsible for every signing (antony etc) he should have been sacked when we signed weghorst on loan, but we know that's not the case.
I seem to remember we were after Amrabat for a while rather than it being a last minute desperation loan like Reguillon. Even tried to sign him. And didn't the manager work with hm before? Crazy coincidence.

Given how bad this season has been, already feeling quite nostalgic for Weghorst.

Unread 01-05-2024, 11:23 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
I must have missed that sequence of play tbf.
He's had 1 decent game for us, jem just won't back down on him ...

I respect that ..

Unread 01-05-2024, 11:36 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen View Post
I seem to remember we were after Amrabat for a while rather than it being a last minute desperation loan like Reguillon. Even tried to sign him. And didn't the manager work with hm before? Crazy coincidence.

Given how bad this season has been, already feeling quite nostalgic for Weghorst.

I didn't say we weren't after him for a while as there was definitely paper talk for ages, more I think we were pretty limited in terms of options. Can't think of too many top teams that take players on loan in that manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster View Post

I respect that ..
classic Jem

Unread 01-05-2024, 11:41 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster View Post

I respect that ..
er... how many games has he had?

even one decent game suggests he's not shit, though. for anyone who hasn't seen him play before, but has eyes to see.

Unread 01-05-2024, 11:56 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem View Post
er... how many games has he had?

even one decent game suggests he's not shit, though. for anyone who hasn't seen him play before, but has eyes to see.
Oh..... He's had three £#%&!ing bowlers mate....

Sorry ..

Runs like he's stuck in a deflating bouncy castle...

Unread 01-05-2024, 11:57 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem View Post
the spotlight on eth and the midfield has always been bright. there is both the balance of the team and the balance of the squad to consider... and he's got both wrong.

with the mount purchase, it was always a question of priorities. obvs, we have bruno playing every game, although that's not wise. we had cass (player of the season, but old), mainoo (raw), mctog (hiding, other than in the oppo box), eriksen (dead).... none of whom is really a dm, but dm was the need. to play mount, he would have had to play instead of rashford, antony, nacho, amad, etc. we had a surfeit of players who could be described as attacking midfielders, playing in the 3 in a 4-2-3-1. whether or not that is a good formation. I prefer 4-3-3 or 4-3-1-2. (no need to mention 10h really wants to play 4-1-2-3.)

as far as his tactics are concerned, playing a weak dm and expecting the fullbacks to supplement central midfield is nonsense. not just with the players we have, but more generally. when we lose possession (frequently), the fullbacks are always out of position. our only viable lb is always injured and, whilst dalot has been ok, wan b is not a player to use this way. maybe amass will be.

if he is all about the high press, what the £#%&! is he doing picking rashford game after game?

we can all have opinions on whether the players are actually good enough individually (if think amrabat is shit, you are an idiot), but the more important issue has been whether any of them is durable. of our first choice back four, varane, martinez and shaw absolutely cannot be relied on to play regularly. knowing that we had signed jfe as cover was a big red flag (hi, quiggler)... and he's not durable either. letting reguilon go was stupid. malacia is clearly nowhere near fitness (not to mention he will only ever be a success in dwarf football).

then you've got cass and eriksen in midfield.

cf, we've got martial (lol) and rasmus (not fit, but needs must).

under the circumstances, we can't be wasting money on mount. he's the one type of player of which we do have quite a few. if he were world class, you can't pass that up. but he's not. and he's turned out not to be durable either, ffs.
I’m not agreeing with signing him, just pointing out maybe the mindset of going after him.

RE :Amrabat . I know it’s a hill you’re going to have to die on but he isn’t that good. There’s a reason why Fiorentina are willing to loan him out close to deadline day AND nobody else is in for him on a permanent.

I wish he was as good as made out to be , but on the few times he has played he has shown he can’t keep up with the game. He hasn’t had a great run of games il give you that but maybe he’s just poor in training too. I highly doubt we have a top quality midfielder and an injury crisis and ETH is going “ you know what , il play The Scottish Player ahead of you”

I don’t agree with starting rashford game after the game either, but managers are a weird breed, they are stubborn, maybe he wants to try to play him into form. Again I’m not advocating for rashford to start , I much prefer him right now to not play, but if you can’t see ETH tries to play a high press then I don’t know for you.

Theres a reason why we have a big gap in CM and get countered, front 4/5 players press, center mid is expose once press is beaten and lack of pace on our CBs mean they have to play a deeper line.

Unread 01-05-2024, 12:04 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins View Post
I’m not agreeing with signing him, just pointing out maybe the mindset of going after him.
and I'm not disagreeing with that; I am just pointing out that the mindset is misguided.

I'm not dying on any amrabat hill. he's a good player, who we got, but don't use. people who think he's shit are idiots. he wasn't my choice (that was palhinha). but he is, without question, the type of player we need. it was a sensible move, but it looks ridiculous now. whether you think he is good or not so good, getting him and not using him makes no sense.

Unread 01-05-2024, 12:40 PM
RedNick80

Quote:

100% - Why do people still project this nonsense on ETH

Its like they forgot the last 10 years of shit signings never happened under the old regime.

Unread 01-05-2024, 12:48 PM
pedr0

mount was signed to replace eriksen. that's where he started the first two games before he got injured.

since he came back, ETH seems to have had a change of heart and he's used as a replacement for the wide forwards.

utterly predictable waste of money.a luxury we couldn't afford.

Unread 01-05-2024, 12:51 PM
BigRonManager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNick80 View Post

Its like they forgot the last 10 years of shit signings never happened under the old regime.
What's that got to do with decisions he's made?

Unread 01-05-2024, 12:56 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNick80

Who are these shit signings we’ve made over ten years?

Unread 01-05-2024, 01:01 PM
RedNick80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRonManager View Post
What's that got to do with decisions he's made?
Nothing, he's made some poor decisions as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe View Post

Unread 01-05-2024, 01:01 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Pogba
Di Maria
Sanchez
Schweinsteiger
Depay
Schneiderlin
Darmian
Ighalo
Falcao
Fellaini

For starters.
I'm not sure if I'm being whooshed tbh.

Unread 01-05-2024, 01:02 PM
suedeshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
All of them apart from 2 maybe 3.

Unread 01-05-2024, 01:12 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona View Post
Pogba
Di Maria
Sanchez
Schweinsteiger
Depay
Schneiderlin
Darmian
Ighalo
Falcao
Fellaini

For starters.
I'm not sure if I'm being whooshed tbh.
Just picked three

Quote:
Unreal signing
Quote:
16 goals in 19 appearances this season absolutely rapid - very good player, exactly the type we should be signing
Quote:
Would be a magnificent signing, fluidly switching formations in game, pace & bags of skill.

Happy £#%&!ing days.

Unread 01-05-2024, 02:10 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Just picked three
Why are you like this?