United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 08-04-2009, 12:00 PM
The Return of JC

Default We've won 3 CL games this season.

Out of 9.

2 out of 5 at home.

I don't fancy us next week.

Unread 08-04-2009, 12:04 PM
BarryX

In theory we would only have to win one on penalties to lift the trophy!

A 3-3 draw away next week would see us through, two draws in the semi's with us scoring more away. And then.....

But in all seriousness of course we will win next week.

Unread 08-04-2009, 12:07 PM
Wum Tastic

You can get evens on Porto to qualify, all you doom merchants could make a fortune!

Unread 08-04-2009, 12:10 PM
marlo

i dont think we will score away .

the team that is suppose to start the game will finally be subbed into place around the 77 min mark when we are 1-0 down.

Unread 08-04-2009, 12:16 PM
The Return of JC

We are more than capable of winning in Portugal. We just look £#%&!ed and are in defensive tatters.

We need a performance like the one we gave in Inter, but that seems a million miles away. We need a total defensive and concentration U-Turn for that to happen.

I don't think you can have designs on winning anywhere when a defence is as shakey as ours. This four days off for us now is crucial. If I was Fergie, I'd give the players a couple of days off. They look shattered. He looks shattered. He looked visibly drained in the post match press conference last night. Didn't even have the energy to look angry.

Unread 08-04-2009, 12:19 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
We are more than capable of winning in Portugal. We just look £#%&!ed and are in defensive tatters.

We need a performance like the one we gave in Inter, but that seems a million miles away. We need a total defensive and concentration U-Turn for that to happen.

I don't think you can have designs on winning anywhere when a defence is as shakey as ours. This four days off for us now is crucial. If I was Fergie, I'd give the players a couple of days off. They look shattered. He looks shattered. He looked visibly drained in the post match press conference last night. Didn't even have the energy to look angry.
whats the point of all his chopping anf changing if the players are tired.

nani today, park tomorrow etc.
we are in the position now i was warning about at the beginning fo the season
a position where everyone is tired and we dont even have a starting line up that we are assured can do a job.
fergie has rotated more than benitez does.

Unread 08-04-2009, 12:19 PM
Ginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wum Tastic
You can get evens on Porto to qualify, all you doom merchants could make a fortune!
hmm, pretty good value that tbf. porto are formidible at home, might be a slight sweetner

Unread 08-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Mr_Ed

I know it was 10 years ago but we drew 1-1 with Juve at home and made it through...

Shit happens. History suggests no team has won the ECL back to back in its current format so it would have been great to repeat it but if we don't we're not any worse than any of the previous winners.

Unread 08-04-2009, 12:26 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
whats the point of all his chopping anf changing if the players are tired.

nani today, park tomorrow etc.
we are in the position now i was warning about at the beginning fo the season
a position where everyone is tired and we dont even have a starting line up that we are assured can do a job.
fergie has rotated more than benitez does.
That is a concern. With the squad we have, why are we tired?

I think it's form too. We're in an unfortunate position of a lot of our consistent performers are all having dodgy spells at the same time: Evra, Carrick, Giggs, and players who are coming in occassionally and not doing enough: Nani, Scholes and, to a lesser extent, Tevez (last night excluded)

Unread 08-04-2009, 12:26 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
I know it was 10 years ago but we drew 1-1 with Juve at home and made it through...

Shit happens. History suggests no team has won the ECL back to back in its current format so it would have been great to repeat it but if we don't we're not any worse than any of the previous winners.

exactly. winning back to back champions league titles is £#%&!ing hard. I didn't think we'd win it back in august and I don't think we will now. But £#%&! it, we may as well go to Porto and have a go.

Unread 08-04-2009, 12:32 PM
PremStar

I think we'll struggle out in Porto - they managed to hold on for a 0-0 in the last round didn't they?

Chances of panalties is low.

Can't see us winning out there - it'll be one of those games where we go gung-ho, lose an early goal, and screw it up ourselves.

Unread 08-04-2009, 12:33 PM
believe

we'll win 3 more.

Unread 08-04-2009, 12:40 PM
Tronics

A win in portugal is totally dependent on our form coming into that game and the team picked.

If that doesn't go for us I can see us getting a bit of a hiding

Unread 08-04-2009, 12:41 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronics
A win in portugal is totally dependent on our form coming into that game and the team picked.

when do you get your UEFA badges?

Unread 08-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Tronics

Huh?

Unread 08-04-2009, 12:48 PM
Ginners

Quote:
Huh?
just smile and hopefully he'll go away

Unread 08-04-2009, 12:48 PM
marlo

Quote:

i can see a milan (a) style hiding on the cards which us imploding anf going 2-0 down.

Unread 08-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Whalefish

With all these predictions of defeat it amazes me that folk still bother to watch Utd or even bother with football at all these days.

I joke about defeats now and again but if I seriously thought we were/are as shit as some folk on here think we are - especially after not winning at a canter or a bunch of iffy performances - I'd jack it in and stick to things I enjoyed. Christ almighty.

It's been a really long season and how many of the current squad had a proper break last Summer? A good bit of rest from another (very) long and mentally draining effort? Not many at a guess.

The back four is decimated at the moment which only compounds the problem.

And with that, I'm off for a coffee and a top red shit.

Unread 08-04-2009, 12:51 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
With all these predictions of defeat it amazes me that folk still bother to watch Utd or even bother with football at all these days.

I joke about defeats now and again but if I seriously thought we were/are as shit as some folk on here think we are - especially after not winning at a canter or a bunch of iffy performances - I'd jack it in and stick to things I enjoyed. Christ almighty.

It's been a really long season and how many of the current squad had a proper break last Summer? A good bit of rest from another (very) long and mentally draining effort? Not many at a guess.

The back four is decimated at the moment which only compounds the problem.

And with that, I'm off for a coffee and a top red shit.
Together? Christ, don't spill!

Unread 08-04-2009, 12:52 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
Together? Christ, don't spill!
I can multi task.
Closed Thread