United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-07-2010, 12:47 PM
dodger

Default Re: Bryan Robson

Brilliant player, agree with most of what's been said on here.

The problem was; he was so good the other memebers of the team relied on him too much and when he wasn't there they felt they couldn't do it without him, particularly when they having some trouble. It also gave the opposition a big boost.

I think it's telling that we weren't succesful in the league with him as a lynchpin and we only became so when his influence was on the wane.

Unread 05-07-2010, 01:32 PM
DuanePipe

My brother had these videos he used to watch, something to do with Bobby Charlton's soccer school. The each dealt with how to play in a certain position. It would show examples of passages of play from games and try and explain how and why to do certain things.

I remember, the midfielder edition of the tapes was, basically, look at Bryan Robson and do it like that.

As I'm not a top red myself, I can safely say that Bryan Robson is one of those players, like Scholes, that ANY club would have given their right arm for (especially true if you happened to be watching Wolves in the 4th division when he was at his peak). He was literally like having an entire midfield in one player. Incredible tackler, brilliant passer, genuine captain material (not like lionheart who is all show and no substance) and perfected the art of the late run in to the box to get his fair share of goals. If I remember rightly, normally very important ones.

Paul Ince wishes he could be 30% of the player Robson was.

The epitome of what any midfielder should aspire to be. To this day.

Unread 05-07-2010, 01:34 PM
suedeshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuanePipe
Paul Ince wishes he could be 30% of the player Robson was.
The Guv'nor probably thinks he was better than Robbo tbf.

Unread 05-07-2010, 01:36 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
I think it's telling that we weren't succesful in the league with him as a lynchpin and we only became so when his influence was on the wane.
an unfortunate coincidence

or the perils of building your team around one injury prone best player?

Unread 05-07-2010, 01:41 PM
DuanePipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes
The Guv'nor probably thinks he was better than Robbo tbf.
Aye. Probably right.

Very, very few players have the ability to be genuine hero material. Players who are intrinsically linked to a particular club but who transcend that link and just evoke admiration from ANYONE who happens to love football. I was fairly young when he was playing but the minute a game of football would break out, I'd have no hesitation in laying a claim; "Bagsy I'm Robson".

Unread 05-07-2010, 01:46 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
too £#%&!ing right, with Robbo & Remi in centre mid - there wasn't much in the way of @#%&!ing out of tackles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
big norman ahead and paul mcgrath behind, frightening as £#%&!

the side we had in the 80s could have been one of the great ones imo. if only fergie had been there to sort out the drinking culture and all the rest of it.
Just reading McGraths book at the moment. SAF was there when the drinking culture was and did his best to stop it but McGrath and Whiteside permantly injured and drunk still carried on for two years after Fergie arrived. The only reason Robson stayed was because what he was unreplacable.

Unread 05-07-2010, 01:51 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
Just reading McGraths book at the moment. SAF was there when the drinking culture was and did his best to stop it but McGrath and Whiteside permantly injured and drunk still carried on for two years after Fergie arrived. The only reason Robson stayed was because what he was unreplacable.
Aye, he got rid of McGrath and Strachan who both went on to win player of the year. Useless @#%&! that Fergie.

Unread 05-07-2010, 01:53 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Aye, he got rid of McGrath and Strachan who both went on to win player of the year. Useless @#%&! that Fergie.
McGrath could only play about half the games in a season tbh, I think and he thinks SAF did the right thing.

Unread 05-07-2010, 01:56 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
McGrath could only play about half the games in a season tbh, I think and he thinks SAF did the right thing.
He played pissed half the time aswell

Unread 05-07-2010, 01:56 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
He played pissed half the time aswell
Not true.

Unread 05-07-2010, 02:01 PM
Sullingtons

Ohh Ahh, Paul McGrath

Probably my favourite Irishman ever and the first black Irishman I think iirc.

Unread 05-07-2010, 02:04 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullingtons
Ohh Ahh, Paul McGrath

Probably my favourite Irishman ever and the first black Irishman I think iirc.
Second. First was Phil Lynott front man Thin Lizzy. What an odd name for a person but tbf he was exotic.

McGrath's story is worth readin btw. What a horrible but also inspiring player. Was paid less than many of the reserve players at United thanks to Big Ron.

Unread 05-07-2010, 02:06 PM
Sullingtons

Quote:
Second. First was Phil Lynott front man Thin Lizzy. What an odd name for a person but tbf he was exotic.

McGrath's story is worth readin btw. What a horrible but also inspiring player. Was paid less than many of the reserve players at United thanks to Big Ron.
£#%&!ing hell.

Anyone got any McGrath anecdotes? I heard he always wore black because oh Johnny Cash.

Unread 05-07-2010, 02:10 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
£#%&!ing hell.

Anyone got any McGrath anecdotes? I heard he always wore black because oh Johnny Cash.
Just reading there on the toilet this morning that he was rooming with Big Jim Leighton who was supposed to be a good influence.
He raided the whole fridge, vodka, beer, gin, whiskey, everything all the while making conversation with Jim. All he can remember was the look of utter disgust on Jims face.

Unread 05-07-2010, 02:22 PM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
£#%&!ing hell.

One two occasions he didn't have any alcohol in the house to drink so he drink pints of bleach instead... no wum (tis in the book)

Unread 05-07-2010, 02:31 PM
Sullingtons

Quote:
Just reading there on the toilet this morning that he was rooming with Big Jim Leighton who was supposed to be a good influence.
He raided the whole fridge, vodka, beer, gin, whiskey, everything all the while making conversation with Jim. All he can remember was the look of utter disgust on Jims face.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
One two occasions he didn't have any alcohol in the house to drink so he drink pints of bleach instead... no wum (tis in the book)

How the £#%&! is he still alive btw?

Unread 05-07-2010, 02:32 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Quote:
"towards the end of my second marriage I was so desperate for a drink that, when the cupboards were empty, I filled a pint glass with Domestos. I drank it in one and went upstairs and waited - for oblivion or death."

McGrath was suddenly filled with terror and spent the next hour drinking water in an effort to drench the terrible burning. He managed to get himself to hospital, where it was found that, miraculously, his internal organs had been relatively unscathed.

In a Manchester prison cell for the night McGrath "hit a new low. But then the shutter on the door slid back and this police officer says 'Paul, I used to watch you on the Stretford End. You were a hero of mine. I hope you get well'. Even in my quivering state, I knew someone was again trying to be decent."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2.../sport.comment

Unread 05-07-2010, 04:59 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
loved that whole denmark side of the 80s tbh. except john sivebaek
Sivebaek was still part of the Danish team that so memorably won the 1992 European Championships

£#%&!ing unbelievable that, for anybody who ever saw him "play" in a United shirt

Unread 05-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Gashman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman

Pick that out you @#%&!S.

Unread 05-07-2010, 07:11 PM
elephantstone

Quote:
£#%&!ing hell.

Tia true me and him were great mates for a few years till we parted company.I'm glad he kept me out of the book but saying that we could have wrote another with all the caper we had
Closed Thread