Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 18-12-2013, 01:08 AM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
"Please stop applauding diagonal cross-field passes – Colm McMullan"

£#%&! you.

Instead of a roundtable, it should just be you reporting live about a random hour of forum activity. Dish out some mockery and some props. THEN the phone in.
I'd be too worried I'd set it up then get no calls, I think a round table with top reds would be better.

Unread 18-12-2013, 01:36 AM
Harfynn Teuport

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
I'd be too worried I'd set it up then get no calls, I think a round table with top reds would be better.
where are you going to find them?

Unread 18-12-2013, 05:22 AM
believe

I'm going to start patenting the things I suggest on here.

Unread 18-12-2013, 08:26 AM
Zorg

I suppose this is sort of relevant: apparently there's a company out there developing technology a little like Google Glass, whereby players would wear a contact lens that projects real-time information in front of them so they can know which areas to exploit, what runs to make, etc. If a penalty was awarded, the keeper would instantly see replays of the last few pens taken by the opposition penalty taker.

These #@&%!s want fans in the stadium to be able to participate by logging on to a system with their smartphones to monitor every stat you can think of, and the computing power would then inform the manager in real-time of every single aspect of the game.

I don't know why these horrific bastards don't just sit in a room with computers. 'My player has scored. Your turn'.

Unread 18-12-2013, 08:26 AM
Switching Off

FM2014 has really bought into it now. Used to be just Trequartista that you could use but now there's Regista, False Nine and Enganche

Unread 18-12-2013, 09:44 AM
irk

football's a simple game really. why do these @#%&!s feel the need to suck the joy out it? it's oneupmanship - I appreciate the details more than you. I'm so clever. I bet they can't do two keepy-ups the spod #@&%!s.

Unread 18-12-2013, 11:26 AM
eusker

When I started going to football I enjoyed the mass pointing from United Road, applauding and then giving 'the vs' to the away keeper and the Gareth Hunt gestures and "aaaaarghhh" sound when the opposing striker spannered a shot.

These geeks would have been watching WWF and playing Dungeons & Dragons.

Unread 18-12-2013, 11:39 AM
forzagarza

Looked up that blokes twitter. Was going to ask him if he'd kissed a girl or boy (legally) but

1. Simon Farrant ‏@simonjfarrant
      'Merry Christmas from East Coast trains. By the way, we've cancelled your train to Leeds.'
    2. forzagarza ‏@forzagarza
      @simonjfarrant Maybe if you were any good at statistical analysis you would have been able to predict that and book another train

Unread 18-12-2013, 11:41 AM
carlosartorial

Unread 18-12-2013, 11:44 AM
Tumescent Throb

Colm whatsit has got a point about applauding diagonal passes - it's almost become automatic to gasp at the sight of them

i'd like a stat on the number of times each player ignores the right pass and plays the long diagonal instead. i reckon it would be a very high number for rooney and gerrard in particular.

Unread 18-12-2013, 11:53 AM
Ethers

"The right pass" is a pretty subjective idea tbh, particularly in that area of the field.

Unread 18-12-2013, 01:04 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
FM2014 has really bought into it now. Used to be just Trequartista that you could use but now there's Regista, False Nine and Enganche
i genuinely don't know what any of that means. and i don't want to.

Unread 18-12-2013, 01:15 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
"The right pass" is a pretty subjective idea tbh, particularly in that area of the field.
Yep.

A successful long diagonal ball is worth applauding because it's hard to do, whether it opens the defense or not.

Unread 18-12-2013, 01:21 PM
TravellingRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
Yep.

A successful long diagonal ball is worth applauding because it's hard to do, whether it opens the defense or not.
At what angle does a diagonal ball become a forward pass? Maybe less than 80 degrees in relation to the halfway line? And it's a sideways pass when it is less than 10 degrees? For an accurate statistical analysis of a teams performace these things need defining to avoid any confusion when analysing said stats.

Unread 18-12-2013, 01:40 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by eusker
When I started going to football I enjoyed the mass pointing from United Road, applauding and then giving 'the vs' to the away keeper and the Gareth Hunt gestures and "aaaaarghhh" sound when the opposing striker spannered a shot.

These geeks would have been watching WWF and playing Dungeons & Dragons.

True.

They're the kind of £#%&!ers who simply nod when their team scores. 'yes, as I predicted. The left double overlap side ball switch attack'.

£#%&! off. :£#%&!er:

Unread 18-12-2013, 02:21 PM
Tumescent Throb

by 'the right pass' i was particularly thinking about the one slipped between the defenders to a runner, or popped off to tee up the 3rd man run - the number of times in every [United] game these things are missed is scary; it goes directly to the criticism about how we insist on getting it wide and throwing it into the box, and yet the pass itself is admired even when it effectively £#%&!s up the movement

missing that in your efforts at controlling the ball (or letting it bounce off you!!)) and then teeing off with a 50yd cross-fielder is just as £#%&!ing pointless as checking back instead of crossing and forcing the attackers to abort their runs, before teeing them up for a hopeless standing jump
Closed Thread