United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 17-12-2013, 11:16 PM
carlosartorial

Football Calling all the shoot crew!

Amazingly, this doesn't appear to be a spoof.

Quote:
After an extensive judging process, we’re now in a position to announce the presenter line-up for the inaugural OptaPro Analytics Forum.
All entries were judged anonymously by Liverpool FC Director of Research Ian Graham, 21st Club CEO Blake Wooster, Chris Anderson - Co-Author of The Numbers Game, and OptaPro Advanced Data Analysts Sam Green and Devin Pleuler, and the standard of submission was very high.
Over 50 people submitted detailed, eligable abstracts, and the judges would have been happy to select the vast majority to present. As it is, to ensure each presenter has sufficient time to present their work, the judges have been able to select just 9 to present in front of an invited audience of club and international team analysts, key analytical bloggers and influential academics.
The selected line-up, in no particular order, is as follows:
- Classifying Central Midfielders – Marek Kwiatowski
- Can we measure how much more teams leave themselves open at the back when chasing down a lead, and which teams tend to ‘shell’ when they go a goal up? – Ben Wool#@&%!
- Similarity Scores using Opta data – Jonathan Gruhl
- Quantitative analysis of football players’ pre- and post-pass movements – Laszlo Gyarmati, Hawoon Kwak and Pablo Rodriguez
- Developing a new method to support football teams – Pedro Marques, Daniel Baiao and Richard Duarte
- Please stop applauding diagonal cross-field passes – Colm McMullan
- Assessing player performance and tactics using a multi-agent football simulation engine - Martin Eastwood, Daniel Edwards and David Hastie
- If you don’t buy a ticket, you can still win the raffle – Oliver Page
- Determine the attacking option with the greatest Expected Value for a player receiving a pass 25-35 yards from goal – Colin Trainor
Due to the venue size, we have had to limit attendance to invited attendees only. However, don’t worry about missing out: we’re planning on filming some of the presentations and release the footage after the event, so keep an eye on the OptaPro site to see these.
If you have any questions, please email [email protected].
- See more at: http://www.optasportspro.com/en/abou....0EILCNWv.dpuf
http://www.optasportspro.com/en/abou...announced.aspx

Unread 17-12-2013, 11:18 PM
RedMenace

Jesus £#%&!in Christ #notooptahipster£#%&!ers

Unread 17-12-2013, 11:24 PM
Bobda

Not too dissimilar to FOTY.

Unread 17-12-2013, 11:27 PM
Bobda

Emailed [email protected] a copy of the par league for consideration.

Unread 17-12-2013, 11:33 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobda
Emailed [email protected] a copy of the par league for consideration.
Ha. That would be accepted and lauded no doubt.

Genuinely astounding that it actually exists. In about 5 years it will all die a death and Jonathan Wilson and his ilk will be laughed at, surely?

Unread 17-12-2013, 11:34 PM
Arnold Muhren

I work with a right tiresome @#%&! who spends every dinner time poring over opta stats and laughing too hard whilst listening to The Football Ramble podcast. Tries to talk to me about the Dutch lower leagues like I give a £#%&!. I'd like to hit him, hard.

Unread 17-12-2013, 11:36 PM
dragflick

This should be more 'calling all sages' tbh...

Unread 17-12-2013, 11:36 PM
Throw

Would rather read a quantitative analysis of Fletch's bowel movements.

Unread 17-12-2013, 11:40 PM
DakotaFredsBigShoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throw
Would rather read a quantitative analysis of Fletch's bowel movements.
I would rather read your qualitative report on the quantitative analysis of Fletch's bowel movements.

Unread 17-12-2013, 11:44 PM
armchair

had some initial discussions and we're going to do a podcast discussing our next move. nice to see some new voices in the arena unafraid of the status quo of fanzine world and their oh so predictable diatribes.

Unread 17-12-2013, 11:54 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
had some initial discussions and we're going to do a podcast discussing our next move. nice to see some new voices in the arena unafraid of the status quo of fanzine world and their oh so predictable diatribes.
Very droll.

Unread 17-12-2013, 11:55 PM
Bunker Buster

What an utter @#%&! soup.

Unread 18-12-2013, 12:06 AM
Jack Duckworth

false 9s and inverted wingers

Unread 18-12-2013, 01:04 AM
taff

Unread 18-12-2013, 01:14 AM
silv

Love watching football £#%&!ing hate talking about it with people especially at work.

Unread 18-12-2013, 01:26 AM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
What an utter @#%&! soup.
so that's you out is it?

Unread 18-12-2013, 01:34 AM
armchair

i was approached by some podcast people a while ago btw.

unfortunately they were unwilling to bow to my demands of an hour of me talking and then a phone in.

I was going to have me, stoney,carlo, and a couple of other discuss shit but I'd rather just run this site into the ground, get banned off bt and all uk isps then kill myself instead.

Unread 18-12-2013, 01:45 AM
Grimson

Can we measure how much more teams leave themselves open at the back when chasing down a lead, and which teams tend to ‘shell’ when they go a goal up? – Ben Wool#@&%!

This will be Ben's second presentation with us. The first, which was very well-received, was titled, Most titles are too short thereby not really giving an idea of what's to be covered. I don't see why this should be the case; your title should be longer.

Unread 18-12-2013, 01:59 AM
armchair

maybe a phone in would be the killer format. i dunno.

i think a roundtable then a phone in. that's what i'm going to sell.

Unread 18-12-2013, 02:04 AM
Grimson

"Please stop applauding diagonal cross-field passes – Colm McMullan"

£#%&! you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
maybe a phone in would be the killer format. i dunno.

i think a roundtable then a phone in. that's what i'm going to sell.

Instead of a roundtable, it should just be you reporting live about a random hour of forum activity. Dish out some mockery and some props. THEN the phone in.
Closed Thread